Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
Moving house in the next few days so had the wonderful task of taking my antenna down (I am really not fond of heights!). I think once we're in the new place I'll be calling someone out to fit it higher up on a longer pole, as well as using a better cable as currently I have a really long and cheap cable which isn't going to be doing me any favours for signal loss. So once I'm back on will be a much better setup. Planning to use a Pi Zero W in the loft to run it, rather than running the cable some 20M around the house.

gAnyYJf.jpg

Soldato
If you're going to do this, get a new Zero 2, it'll be a lot more capable.

I've seen them, they're impressive! I actually already run it on a Pi Zero which is where the cable was to where my server used to be. But the idea in future is a decent and shorter cable to the pi in the loft. Currently running ser2net on the Pi and have all the software running in docker on my server, so the pi is doing next to no work at all :)

Soldato
I saw this DC-3 cargo thing take off the other day. So much noise, so little speed and altitude!

Then today I happened to be procrastinating when it came back into Southampton and I managed to get a picture. There was plenty of time, I've never seen a plane land so slowly!

PXL-20211217-120538616.jpg

Associate
I've seen that fly into Southampton too only it isn't a DC3. It's a Basler BT-67, which is a modified DC3. The main difference being it has turboprop engines rather than big ole radial engines. It's certainly an attention grabber as like you say its noisy and has a very distinctive sound.

Associate
That Basler flew into Southampton again today. I was out for a walk with my family and dad and heard it as it was on approach. Couldn't see it but quick flick onto flightradar confirmed it.

Man of Honour
RrLbvXA.png

Not good - squawk 7700 - guessing loss of cabin pressure or something with that altitude change.

EDIT: Looks like it got down OK though.

Last edited:
Associate
It certainly fits the loss of cabin pressure pattern, steep descent and level off at 10000 feet. Diverted into Denver.

Looks like Delta have a replacement, a B753, due to continue the journey to Seattle, departs at 0400 our time.

Nothing on Google yet about what happened.

Man of Honour
Got another one - SS911/CRL911 - A330 heading to Paris squawking 7700 and rapid descent from 38K feet to 10K feet.

EDIT: Looks like they've landed OK - but doesn't look like that one was fun for anyone on board.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Seems to be happening all the time at the moment - I don't recall it being so frequent in the past - AR1243/ARG1243 squawk 7700 on its way to Buenos Aires - none of the flight data hints at what the problem might be.

EDIT: No longer squawking 7700.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom