Planning an around the world trip - Give me advice!

Soldato
Hi all,

I’ve decided to take some time out and I’m currently planning an around-the-world trip. I don’t have a time limit but I’m thinking 12-18 months. I want to do some sightseeing and generally have fun and chill out.

I’m literally only a few hours into research and I’m looking for any information or advice from people who have done this or visited any of these places. Anything from places to avoid to snippets of advice.

I've already searched the forums and read a few peoples blogs.

Unlike most round the world trips my first stop will be Australia. Why? I already have a ticket to Sydney which must leave on the 15th Jan, so it would be a waste not to use it.

4Ig8u.jpg

**ignore the years!! i messed them up! 2012 is 2013 and 2013 is 2014**

Due to this ticket I may have trouble with a traditional ‘round-the-world’ ticket as they often need to end in the country they started. I may just get one that starts and finishes in Australia but actually just finish in Asia and get a one way ticket home.

JAN / FEB / MAR 2013

South Pacific

I used to live in Sydney so I’m going to spend a week or so catching up with friends. Then maybe Cairns, the Whitsundays, Hamilton Island, Stradbroke island, Byron bay, etc.

Never really been into Alice Springs but I may head over to Perth for a few weeks. I also want to spend time relaxing in Fiji, Vanuatu and as many such places as possible.

Australia – Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Byron Bay
Fiji – One of the outer islands, always wanted to go. Likely spend 3 weeks here.
Vanuatu – Undecided yet
New Zealand - I spent a month there a few years back, I don’t think I’d revisit but may change my mind once out there.

I’d spend a bit longer here but I really want to get over to South America while the Weather is generally good in all countries. March and April seems good for almost all the countries.

MAR / APR / MAY / JUN / JUL 2013

South America

This is probably the big chunk of my travel. I want to see

Peru
Ecuador (inc Galapagos Islands)
Colombia
Costa Rica
Brazil
Argentina
Bolivia
Chile

Going by the below weather chart I’ll try to work out some kind of order of visit closer the time.

ySKBW.jpg

I’ll scour the internet for all the typical places to see but if you feel I’ve left out a country please let me know!

JUL / AUG 2013

Caribbean

This part of the trip I’m a bit unsure about. I may go to the US for a road trip but it’s likely I’ll spend some weeks in the Caribbean and could check out

Barbados
Jamaica
Cuba
Various other islands in the area

I’ll be going in the low season and at hurricane season so should be relatively inexpensive

SEP / OCT 2013

Europe

Home to the UK for a bit and then some travel to various European countries. I may get the rail pass and go all over.

Not really a lot more to say!

OCT 2013 – MAR 2014

Asia

I’ve been to quite a bit of Asia already but wouldn’t say I’ve travelled; it’s always been holidays (China, Thailand, HK, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, etc). I want to focus on:

Thailand
Cambodia
Vietnam
Malaysia (inc Perhentian islands)
Philippines

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to buy a calendar, it already is 2012.

Anyway, what I would suggest is don't plan it that much. By doing that, you will miss out on much of the randomness that a trip like this can provide.

Get onto Couchsurfing, and use it. It would be useful to host a few people in your home now to build up your ratings as you'll have more luck finding somewhere to stay if you're not a total newbie.

Caporegime
You're missing the US, specifically Vegas.

Get onto Couchsurfing, and use it. It would be useful to host a few people in your home now to build up your ratings as you'll have more luck finding somewhere to stay if you're not a total newbie.

I don't think I could trust having a random person sleeping in my house. :confused:

Soldato
OP
You need to buy a calendar, it already is 2012.

Anyway, what I would suggest is don't plan it that much. By doing that, you will miss out on much of the randomness that a trip like this can provide.

Doh! Of course it will be 2013 by the time I leave!

Thanks for the advice, I won't plan things in too much detail, just want to have a rough idea where i'd like to be and when. This may change of course!

Soldato
OP

I've been to Vegas three times already, last time in 2011 I was there for about 12 days, including my birthday :)

Not thinking about going to the US to be honest. I've done a west coast road trip last year. I used to live on the east coast and have been to a lot of it (NY, Florida, NH, etc).

Caporegime
I've been to Vegas three times already, last time in 2011 I was there for about 12 days, including my birthday :)

Not thinking about going to the US to be honest. I've done a west coast road trip last year. I used to live on the east coast and have been to a lot of it (NY, Florida, NH, etc).

In that case, I'll shut up. :p

Soldato

I don't think I could trust having a random person sleeping in my house. :confused:

Not sure why the confused face is there. Couchsurfing is very well established, and you rate guests and hosts. Many people won't take new folk because of your fears but as long as you chat to them first then it should be fine.

Live a little!

Soldato
OP

Thinking about it this is actually a really good idea. Not only can it sort out some accommodation later on but you get to meet a lot of people whom you can go out with when you're in their country.

Permabanned
It saddens me that you miss Japan and Korea.

I'm impressed you have the intelligence to stay away from the US though XD

Soldato
personally had an amazing experience in NZ, I did one of the backpacker bus things around both islands over a 4 month period and worked some time in queenstown. if you like winter sports/rafting/bungee/skydiving/hiking there is so much to do.

Associate
Don't restrict yourself by over planning. Have a rough idea of what you want to do, then book the priority transports. Then simply land at destination, know you need to be at 'x' point by 'x' date to fly out.

Example. During my travel I flew from HK to the bottom of Vietnam, I had to get to Japan in 80 days to catch my flight to Hawaii. Went up through china, across to S.Korea then boat to Japan.

Back
Top Bottom