Plasma image retention

Soldato
This is the reason that I have auto standby on my plasma. My 6 year old V20 is still looking lovely, probably thanks to this - accidents do happen. My major gripe is the plasma buzz and some horizontal banding. I was reminded of quite how good the set is when watching planet earth 2. I can't see how a 4K screen is even remotely worth my while unless I halve my viewing distance.

Soldato
We've abused our Kuro sets too death and still haven't got any retention or any red tint. That said, we don't use dynamic or standard settings; we've always used movie.

I say abused, probably not really the right word, they've been well looked after and are as good as they were the day we bought them. I mean we've watched a lot of movies/TV and that, banners and all :)

Caporegime
If you own a plasma you should be well aware of it's limitations.

If you didn't know watching a channel with a logo on it 24/7 would be bad for it then you really ought to have bought an lcd.

lol @ use a wet wipe to wipe it off. If it is screen burn, it's burned onto the inside of the glass panel, impossible to remove.

If it's image retention then you need to stop watching whatever caused it until it goes away, varied content is the key not to watch the same thing over and over.

Associate
If you didn't know watching a channel with a logo on it 24/7 would be bad for it then you really ought to have bought an lcd.
Huh? Surely the fact you didn't know means you can't know not to buy it.

lol @ use a wet wipe to wipe it off. If it is screen burn, it's burned onto the inside of the glass panel, impossible to remove.
Who mentioned wet wipes?

Soldato
It may go after hundreds of hours of use. Plasma also suffers from uneven phosphur aging, for example if you only watch 2:34 you'll get brighter bands on the top and bottom when watching full screen material, as the center is used more and thus dimmer.

Soldato
If you own a plasma you should be well aware of it's limitations.

The problem is those stupid logos. Even over the course of a TV show some of the more bold ones with give some retention.

Caporegime
Huh? Surely the fact you didn't know means you can't know not to buy it.

Who mentioned wet wipes?

OP mentioned them in the OP.

When plasma was out people tended to buy LCD because they were unaware of plasmas being better so it tended to be those that knew what plasma was all about that bought them. So yes plasma buyers tended to know about their pro's and cons as 99% of people bought LCD's like sheep. So yes plasma owners tend to be well aware that you do't watch channels with logos on them 24/7

Back
Top Bottom