Plasma or LCD (Ive done my homework)

Associate
Hiya Folks.

Just a quick question. As I will not be going down the 1080p route Ive got a lot more choice of TV. So, Ive seen the "Panasonic TH37PX70B" Plasma. Now my question is, why would I or someone pick this TV over an LCD for the same / cheaper price?

Ive done some homework and know the basics between the two, and whats its good and bad points, but im still debating if a 1024 res plasma would look better than a 1334 res LCD? :confused:

All help welcome.

Thank You

Soldato
ummm. well. plasma's have better blacks, are cheaper and are far better for sd material. lcd's are better for hd, dont (as a rule) suffer from screen burn and generally last longer.

what do you intend on using your screen for the most? that will pretty much determine which way you go:)

is there a lot of light in the room? Plasma is bad in a room with a lot of light. Otherwhise the plasma would look better

and that. the revese is also true - lcd's are great in the sunlight but even the best of them arent brilliant in a dark room - i run my kdl-40w2000's backlight as low as it will go when i have the lights off. it's still far from perfect.

Associate
OP
My room does not get lots of light, im like a bat :p

The TV will be used for the following;

SD TV
Sky + (Standard)
Standard DVD's
Wii
Xbox 360 (In future if i decide to get one).

I hope to upgrade to a 1080p set in the future, when the dust settles abit, and there are some affordable bluray/hd players and bug free 1080p sets :)

Associate
OP
james.miller said:
you havent mentioned hd at all so id say go with a plasma. just be aware of screen burn issues and such

Sure.

I've been told be a few people that Screen Burn is much less common these days. Although that is my major concern, specially if there is a watermark on the channel or the radio channels on Sky.

Associate
OP
Ross1234 said:
is there a lot of light in the room? Plasma is bad in a room with a lot of light. Otherwhise the plasma would look better

Even if the resolution is much lower?

Keeping in mind, I will be sitting pretty close.

Associate
If you're sitting close and only watching SD material then a lower res is better.

An SD feed will look better on a lower res TV as the picture does not to be upscaled as much.

From what you've said - a 37 or 42 inch plasma sounds about right. Samsung 42Q96/97 is a good buy, as is the panasonic 37PX70 or 42PX70. Both are very good value and give a good picture.

Back
Top Bottom