Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Current shoes are Nike Free 5.0, which from what I can tell online are about as supportive as my ex-girlfriend...

Not too savvy on things like cadence, I'm capable of holding a conversation as I run so I don't think I'm overexerting myself.

Then try a shoe with more support and plenty of cushioning, moderate heel drop.

For cadence, use the free Strava app on your phone and it will measure it fairly accurately. If the cadence is < 170 then it helps to increase it a little. Some people run with a cadence as low as 150 and that is much more liekly to cause things like shin splints or knee issues.

Soldato
in one word ...

HARD !

Parliament Hill XC today - was surprisingly not that muddy (bit of a shame) - but I'd had a flu/cold type thing earlier in week which had wiped me out - I was ok to run today - but could still feel my chest gummed up - so not ideal. The race would have been tough anyway - but made it even harder.

did enjoy it though :) not as quick as I'd hoped - I think I did it in 1 hr 11 (9.1 miles) - but considering I felt like I was near to passing out end of 2nd lap - I did ok to finish :)

not used to that distance in my XC spikes though - my feet feel pretty mashed, and have quite a few blisters

in theory I've another XC tomorrow - I'll see how I feel when I wake up !!!

Definitely prefer the standard 5 mile distance for XC though ... >9 miles felt a bit of a slog .... I like XC as normally it's 5 miles balls out and racing - today whilst enjoyable didn't feel so racey somehow

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How did everyone get on at XC today?

Perhaps perversely I rather enjoyed it although I'm sure I'll ache a bit tomorrow and I've got a couple of blisters on my toes which I'm putting down to wearing spikes with minimal padding. Conditions were pretty good, the temperature was probably around 8-9 degrees which is good, it wasn't that muddy compared to what it might have been and once you get over the fact there's a big bottleneck going up the first hill despite the long lead in it's not too bad. I even managed to outsprint about half a dozen people in the finishing straight - ok it's probably the difference between being #350 and #356 or something like that but I felt better for doing it.

Buckster - sorry to hear you were/are feeling a bit under the weather, you have my sympathies as it's tough to do if you're feeling ok.

Soldato
Nice one semi pro you were way ahead of me :)

I wasn't lapped by the front runners which was a small victory :)

I run for Springfield Striders (white and yellow) although weren't that many of us today (about 12 or so)

And thanks - family and work friends had said I was stupid to run but the club had paid for my entry I had a car lift sorted etc so decided to do it anyway

Man of Honour
I'm hoping that the updates on the website are quicker than after the London Champs in November. I don't really know what position I came in, I suspect it'll be pretty far down though so in one sense it's a bit daft racing to make up a few extra places but at the same time why not try and finish as well as you can.

I think I did see a few from Springfield running around, if I'd known beforehand I'd have tried to pay a bit more attention. If you had 12 that's probably more than we (Croydon Harriers) had as a senior men's team, we must have had about 10.

Permabanned
Good work the pair of you, congrats. Shame you were a little unwell Buckster but at least you still got out and gave it a good shot. Agreed on the long distance too, can't imagine 9.1 miles of XC being much fun for the feet at times and can see why it wouldn't feel as much of a race with having to run longer.

I remember last year turning upto an XC race and I was the only one there from my club in the senior mens team, dissapointed in that on the day but I enjoyed the race anyway and saw a few of the senior ladies finish though.

Soldato
Thanks indigogorilla and shamrock go for it - I much prefer XC to road races it's a better atmosphere and the races are so varied even year on year same course

It's funny - I was watching Vikings last night ... and with 1500 men across a very wide start - with everyone sprinting off at same time across the mud it felt like being part of a Viking army running towards an unknown enemy :)

Man of Honour
I take it back the doubt about them being slow to update, the results are up already. Over 1,000 senior men taking part so for your friend to get 12th is brilliant, he was 18 minutes faster than me over 9 miles and I should have doubled my joking prediction about my finish place, I didn't realise how many people were running.

Shamrock: I think you should try XC at least once, it feels very different to road running but it's good.

Soldato
i started the month trying to run a 2.7 mile route near my house which takes me up some steep hills, i found the steepest part of the hill i had to walk and then I'd get to the next hill get so far up and then have to walk again. I cut this run out and started following a 5k plan on here: http://www.halhigdon.com/ so gone down to 1.5 mile runs and slowly upping them. My pace on the 2.7 mile was around 11min mile, on the 1.5 i've got it to around 8.05min mile. After a couple of weeks of not doing the 2.7 mile run i went out on it last night, must admit i struggled near the end but managed to get it done without stopping and gone down to around 9.4 min mile so a fair bit quicker than the last time.
Upping to 2 miles tonight which i'm looking forward to.

On the look out for more thermal tops and leggings as i only have one set so the washer /dryer is on a lot. Any recommendations?
Also i run using the trainers i used quite some time back for running so must be around 5 years old min, they're some adidas ones. Is there much benefit to be had when running small distances to getting some proper fitted ones?

Cheers

Man of Honour
On the look out for more thermal tops and leggings as i only have one set so the washer /dryer is on a lot. Any recommendations?
Also i run using the trainers i used quite some time back for running so must be around 5 years old min, they're some adidas ones. Is there much benefit to be had when running small distances to getting some proper fitted ones?

Firstly well done on getting out there and running. At this stage I'd suggest not worrying about your times too much but about trying to run for a set period of time so it doesn't matter whether you cover 2 miles in half an hour or 3 miles. It will often take time to build up to running but doing it gradually means you're more likely to be able to keep it going and more likely to want to.

In terms of tops and leggings - Sport Direct sell a lot of Karrimor kit, it's not brilliant but it's functional and relatively inexpensive so might be worth having a look at.

I'd say it is worth going for some gait analysis and trying out a few pairs, lots of running shops have treadmills that you can try the trainers on. It doesn't have to be expensive to replace your trainers as you can always look for last season bargains - realistically I doubt most people would notice the difference between this seasons trainers and last except in colour scheme or minor detailing.

Soldato
Firstly well done on getting out there and running. At this stage I'd suggest not worrying about your times too much but about trying to run for a set period of time so it doesn't matter whether you cover 2 miles in half an hour or 3 miles. It will often take time to build up to running but doing it gradually means you're more likely to be able to keep it going and more likely to want to.

In terms of tops and leggings - Sport Direct sell a lot of Karrimor kit, it's not brilliant but it's functional and relatively inexpensive so might be worth having a look at.

I'd say it is worth going for some gait analysis and trying out a few pairs, lots of running shops have treadmills that you can try the trainers on. It doesn't have to be expensive to replace your trainers as you can always look for last season bargains - realistically I doubt most people would notice the difference between this seasons trainers and last except in colour scheme or minor detailing.

I'm not terribly fussed on my speed/distance but i think it was good to go back to the old run just to see if my stamina etc is improving.
I think loosing 6lb in January just by eating healthy is probs helping.
Will have a wonder into sports direct and get some spares. My current trainers are old so last year models wouldn't bother me. Will try getting up to Kendal to go to a proper running shop. We have a DW near us that do gait analysis but imagine a dedicated running shop would be better. Best thing about running and dieting is feeling much healthier and pushing myself.

Associate
I've had 2 weeks off running while I've been on holiday. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get back up to speed again, but I'm hoping the rest will help.

I ran a new 10k PB before I went @ 41:19 one of those races where everything just goes right and you feel strong.

I'm doing a 10km at Longlete on Sunday, just going to treat it as a tempo run and enjoy it.

Caporegime
Hope everyone's running is going OK. Since my last update things have been a bit mixed. I was doing great, consistent 80 mile weeks of easy base building but then I got a sick bug and spent 2 days throwing up. Got a few more days running in but then went on a , long ski weekend, turns out I gave my self some-kind of tendonitis while skiing due to a ski sock getting all folded up. That is starting to fade but I lost 2 days waiting for it to go before doctor said it running wont make much of a difference. Both kids got sick and I lost some more time. Another day lost with a tight work deadline. This week I have been doing OK but Wednesday started coming down with a cold and then yesterday put my back out getting the cat out from under the car! Strangely runnign seems to make the back betetr and help loosens it up.

I'm still getting some OK running in but less volume and no quality work. Just frustrating because its now time to start adding some 1 mile repeats and lactate threshold work but I have to just keep things easy. Was hoping for around 300 miles in January but go about 230 in the end.

Caporegime
i

Cheers

I quite liekly Nike Dryfit compression tights. But I also have some bayleaf compression tights that were 1/3rd f the price form Amazon. The bayleaf use a thicker material which is warmer but breathes a little less. The fit of the Nike is better but that liekly depends on your body shape (the bay leaf are a bit long but a smaller size would be too tight).

For summer running I am not fussy at all about cloth choices/brands as long as it is some kind of synthetic/polyest/quick drying material, but individual comfort is important when you sweat so much. However, in the winter I find higher quality clothing helps battle the cold/too hot sweat/cold and sweaty cycle. Some cheaper long sleeve running tops just don't seem to be so wind resistant or breathable as my expensive ones. My Fav is an ArcteryX top designed for ski touring as a base layer, but I got it as a discontinued bargain.

For shoes age is not an issue but with lots of miles the abiltiy to absorb the impact reduced, and the sole can wear unevenly causing problems. Lookign at the sole is one of the best ways of knowing when to get a new pai I lof the miles on my shoes and even the exact same brand/model/year of shoe can last anywhere form 450 to 650 miles. I guess different temperatures and road surfaces change the rate of wear.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hope everyone's running is going OK. Since my last update things have been a bit mixed. I was doing great, consistent 80 mile weeks of easy base building but then I got a sick bug and spent 2 days throwing up. Got a few more days running in but then went on a , long ski weekend, turns out I gave my self some-kind of tendonitis while skiing due to a ski sock getting all folded up. That is starting to fade but I lost 2 days waiting for it to go before doctor said it running wont make much of a difference. Both kids got sick and I lost some more time. Another day lost with a tight work deadline. This week I have been doing OK but Wednesday started coming down with a cold and then yesterday put my back out getting the cat out from under the car! Strangely runnign seems to make the back betetr and help loosens it up.

I'm still getting some OK running in but less volume and no quality work. Just frustrating because its now time to start adding some 1 mile repeats and lactate threshold work but I have to just keep things easy. Was hoping for around 300 miles in January but go about 230 in the end.

LOL, no sooner have I said that than I just had an amazing run. A notch under 23 miles this morning, 8:09 pace and simply never got fatigued at all. Kept going and going but never got tired, ran out of time and headed home. The lower volume over the last weeks probably helped. Foot, back and cold were not an issue.

Man of Honour
I'm not terribly fussed on my speed/distance but i think it was good to go back to the old run just to see if my stamina etc is improving.
I think loosing 6lb in January just by eating healthy is probs helping.
Will have a wonder into sports direct and get some spares. My current trainers are old so last year models wouldn't bother me. Will try getting up to Kendal to go to a proper running shop. We have a DW near us that do gait analysis but imagine a dedicated running shop would be better. Best thing about running and dieting is feeling much healthier and pushing myself.

Well done on the weight loss, if you can get to a running shop then that's great but if DW offer gait analysis then that's probably better than nothing. Hope you manage to find some suitable clothing as well, it does make things that bit more comfortable.

I've had 2 weeks off running while I've been on holiday. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get back up to speed again, but I'm hoping the rest will help.

I ran a new 10k PB before I went @ 41:19 one of those races where everything just goes right and you feel strong.

I'm doing a 10km at Longlete on Sunday, just going to treat it as a tempo run and enjoy it.

Good running to set a new PB. Hope you enjoy the run on Sunday.

LOL, no sooner have I said that than I just had an amazing run. A notch under 23 miles this morning, 8:09 pace and simply never got fatigued at all. Kept going and going but never got tired, ran out of time and headed home. The lower volume over the last weeks probably helped. Foot, back and cold were not an issue.

Funny how it works out isn't it but you're probably right that a bit of a break (even if enforced) can help.

My 2017 Goals will be:

5:30 - mile (preferably faster)
19:45 5k (Crystal Palace Parkrun) - 19:30 on a flatter course probably
sub 40:00 10k
sub 1:30:00 half marathon
3:25:00 marathon (just entered Edinburgh again, Mcmillan reckons a sub 3:15:00 is possible based on my 5km times but that's probably a bit ambitious at the moment)

That's one goal ticked off today, 19:44 at Parkrun despite rain at the start giving a rather wet and somewhat muddy course. Lots of kids around as well since one of the local clubs seems to have decided their juniors should run there today, quite a few were really quick. I guess I'll need to reset my 5k goal now and aim for a bit closer to 19:30 before the end of the year.

Associate
The Longlete 10km was good. There where three hard hills, the total elevation over the 10km was 185m defiantly not a pb course. Finished in 94th place out of 1100 people in just over 46mins. I got a nice Lion head medal too. My legs are tired today.

Lots of races coming up I've booked on

Winchester 10k, Silverstone Half, Eastleigh 10k, Salisbury 10mile, Southampton Half and Wings for life World Run.

Soldato
I'm still undecided about entering Wings for Life. I would like to give it a proper go alone (managed 34.4km with my wheelchair-bound friend) but I'm also keen to get back cycling again once I've ran the Brighton Marathon at the start of April.

Back
Top Bottom