Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Anyone else running Cambridge half this weekend? I picked up a place form a mate; hadn't intended to run but hopefully it will give me a good indication of what time I should be aiming for in the April marathon. Weather looks iffy...

Associate
Went for a 20k last week and had a couple of issued, firstly blisters as I wasn't wearing decent socks (it was an unplanned run).
In the last 3k or so I noticed some pain in inner upper thigh, I should have stopped but foolishly wanted to complete the 20k.
One adductor muscle strain later and I've had to take it easy this week.
Doing some extra stretching and strength training to help avoid in the future.

Also just picked up the 80/20 book to see if I can improve and avoid other injury.

Soldato
Went for a 20k last week and had a couple of issued, firstly blisters as I wasn't wearing decent socks (it was an unplanned run).
In the last 3k or so I noticed some pain in inner upper thigh, I should have stopped but foolishly wanted to complete the 20k.
One adductor muscle strain later and I've had to take it easy this week.
Doing some extra stretching and strength training to help avoid in the future.

Also just picked up the 80/20 book to see if I can improve and avoid other injury.
Great book I’m currently reading it

Soldato
Can someone tell me what I should expect from a pair of shoes near their end of life? I have a set of Hokas that have about 780km on them, and I've been running in them exclusively since I bought them on the 30th Dec 2017. For the past few weeks, my calves have been murder, sore, rock hard, blisters on feet from ripped lining, and I've had to abandon runs of late and shuffle home almost in tears, is this a sure sign they have lost their support, or do the pains just sound like an unrelated injury?

Associate
I don't have experience of hokas but 780km seems like a lot of mileage for any trainer, so I'd be getting some new ones regardless! Fingers crossed you recover well.

Soldato
Cambridge Half Marathon went well. 1hr 21 min something, a pb by about 5 minutes. Gives me confidence I can go sub 3 in April marathon!
Wow good work! Did just over 7 miles yesterday and another 5 today been out with an ankle injury for 2.5 weeks so glad to be back getting some miles in my legs, got the Brighton marathon April 14th

Soldato
22 miles in the wind this morning. Nice and easy pace, legs felt good. 6 weeks to go...
Good work, me and my brother did a 15 miler yesterday, sun rain and wind! Doing an 18 miler this Saturday with 2 x 5 miles slow in between, Brighton Marathon is fast approaching and I have a stag do on the 21st of this month but plan to run in Gran Canaria (albeit) with a cloudy head ....

Associate
I made the 10k in 67 mins not too disappointed with my time it was very windy and the first time I did cross county.

Given the injury and then getting the flu, I had only got back into doing 5k runs the last couple of weeks I can’t complain too much, looking at the Therford Forrest 10k in July

Back
Top Bottom