Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
There's a guy called Kelly Starrett who seems to do good videos on Youtube for various things like that too.

Has anyone ever tried those Recovery sliders? I've been looking at some slip ons for my holiday and came accross these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OOFOS-Unis...overy+slides&qid=1559288867&s=gateway&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salomon-Ho...overy+slides&qid=1559288867&s=gateway&sr=8-18

Yes, they're bloody expensive compared to regular sliders/clogs but i'm curious if they actually have any benefit.

Plus i love a gadget and this is close to one :p

Last edited:
Underboss
oh lol thanks Marv

so my old man said to google Heat Index, and yes it looks like i struggled because of the 27" C temp on my run.. working all day, done like 10,000 steps at work . so a little silly for me to run
live and learn :)

Soldato
Haven't done a marathon but when I did a 20 miler I ate one of the small soreen lunch box bars on the way round and water from the water stops.

I've done two 10k races in the last week, 41:55 on Wednesday and 41:02 yesterday so need to find a bit more time to dip under 40 mins. Got a weeks worth of races this week (5k Mon - Thurs and 10k on Friday) so less miles than usual but harder!

Soldato
I don't think i worried too much about food in the days before. Made a bowl of overnight oats to eat for breakfast, but nerves meant i didn't eat loads of them.

I then just collected the free gels on the route and used when needed. Think i ended with 2 in my pockets.

Presumably you've been out for ~20mile training runs so i'd just follow that strategy as it'll be what works for you. I'm fat and slow so likely burn a lot more energy over 5 hours than someone who's thin and can run it in 3hrs!

Associate
In the run up to my marathons I've just upped the amount of bread/rice/pasta a little in the last week. Try to consume ~400 calories worth of gels during the race itself (although find it hard after mile 15 to eat anything), only drink water. Not hit the wall yet but that doesn't mean the last few miles arent hell on earth....

Man of Honour
What are peoples strategy on carb loading before a marathon what types of food are you eating up to 2-3 days before?

Do you use water, gels or use Lucozade sport handouts?

Nothing too much, I might use it as an excuse for pizza or pasta beforehand but there's no particular strategy behind it from my part. In the race itself I'll use water from the stations and I usually carry gels although many races supply some as well - I tend to favour Hi5 gels as they seem to work fine for me but many of the companies do taster packs so if you try a few you'll work out which is best for you, the different manufacturers make different claims about the benefits and how easily digestible/isotonic they are but I've got my suspicions that provided you can stomach them then beyond taste the differences for a recreational runner are pretty small.

Soldato
Had the dilemma yesterday. Was planning on running on the way home, but then my wife told me that new trainers had arrived. The temptation to go home first to then run in new trainers was high!

Quite glad i didn't though as i tried them on after the run and they were a little tight. Think i'm going to try and swap for a half size up and see how they feel. They felt felt comfy though so looking forward to getting out in them.

Soldato
I don't think i worried too much about food in the days before. Made a bowl of overnight oats to eat for breakfast, but nerves meant i didn't eat loads of them.

I then just collected the free gels on the route and used when needed. Think i ended with 2 in my pockets.

Presumably you've been out for ~20mile training runs so i'd just follow that strategy as it'll be what works for you. I'm fat and slow so likely burn a lot more energy over 5 hours than someone who's thin and can run it in 3hrs!

Thanks for the help all.

Ye been out for 20 mile training runs but it seems to be my block so far I cant run much past 20 so Im wondering if fueling is the issue here. I have got some new ideas to try now so we shall see what happens marathon is proving more of a science but im liking the challenge so far I will crack it.

Associate
Thanks for the help all.

Ye been out for 20 mile training runs but it seems to be my block so far I can't run much past 20 so Im wondering if fueling is the issue here. I have got some new ideas to try now so we shall see what happens marathon is proving more of a science but I'm liking the challenge so far I will crack it.

What are you eating during the run? It does get hard after 20miles. I was having a shot block every 45mins on my long runs and Marathon.

Soldato
What are you eating during the run? It does get hard after 20miles. I was having a shot block every 45mins on my long runs and Marathon.

I have the Clif shot blocks and was taking 3 of them at the 2h hour point and another 3 at the 3 hrs 30 mins (20 miles).

I was wondering if replacing the water I carry with something like Lucozade sport would be better for me Im just experimenting at the moment with different things.

I have just picked up these Revvies Energy strips to try out

https://revviesenergy.co.uk/

Underboss
I have the Clif shot blocks and was taking 3 of them at the 2h hour point and another 3 at the 3 hrs 30 mins (20 miles).

I was wondering if replacing the water I carry with something like Lucozade sport would be better for me Im just experimenting at the moment with different things.

I have just picked up these Revvies Energy strips to try out

https://revviesenergy.co.uk/

Cliff bars are actualy quite nice, someone recommended them to me in the cycling thread many years ago, nicer than the High 5 bars

Soldato
This week I am taking part in Gordon Whelbourn week, a week of running races organised by Newark AC.

It's 4 5k runs Monday to Thursday and 10k Friday. I plan to run them all at a decent pace and I am wondering whether a slow steady run at lunch time in addition would be a benefit or make me slower in the races. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom