Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Fenix 5, also does the same, bit cheaper as well, although its an older model now.

Have a fair few spotify playlists including podcasts and syncs over wi-fi. Not looking forward to the day i have to replace it. Very rare i say that about modern consumer electronics.

Soldato
It's because i bought the Fenix pro that i'm not!

Although having been thinking about it last night, i'm not sure if i'll keep it. It still keeps disconnecting which is incredibly annoying and if i'm paying ~£650 (Would prefer the Sapphire one) then i want to be a lot happier with it. Also didn't realise how limited Garmin Pay was and that's a big selling point for me.

Also found that EE are being bellends about me selling my watch during the contract even if i pay off the remaining balance which isn't helping!

Soldato
No catch, i use it (or used to use it before i went with an Amex card).

It's superb at consolidation multiple cards into one. I used to have a few different accounts/credit cards and just used to link them all to my curve card and switch between them depending on what i was buying.

I'm surprised there aren't more companies offering something similar to be honest.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Sounds like it should.

Crap, just remembered my running jacket isn't particularly waterproof either, it's only windproof So just bought a new one.

It would've been cheaper to just pull out of the race!

Been their bought all the kit, then fell off my bike 3 days before and broke my collarbone. You will love it looks a good one.

Soldato
Yeah, it should be good. Although you'd expect part of the fun would be the views in the lake district and i probably won't see anything!

Really got in my head about getting wet/cold after the weather we've had recently. Ended up buying this
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/montane-minimus-stretch-ultra-pull-on/

More than i would've liked but i figure it should come in handy.

Also eyeing this up, it's very cheap for a longer run and be good practice for the Lakeland 50. @Dup this seems right up your street!

https://www.howlerevents.com/event/3-towers-ultra-marathon/

Caporegime
you are only required to carry your waterproofs. The pants stay in a pack unless you break a leg.

during My 170km i was in snow and rain for 46 hours but just my running tights. I did wear my jacket a lot.

it slso depends on length and intensity of the race. At 100miles you do a lot of hiking, standing and eating. At 50miée if trained you can run most of it. And of course terrain. mountain passes are feiggin brutal in the snow and wind after 30 hours of running. a sheltered forest is quite different

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Also eyeing this up, it's very cheap for a longer run and be good practice for the Lakeland 50. @Dup this seems right up your street!

https://www.howlerevents.com/event/3-towers-ultra-marathon/

Looks like a good one that, was thinking about having a run up and around that area at some point for a change of scenery. Lakeland 50 is 25th July though ;)
Can't overly commit myself to events at the moment as my lifes all over the place and training is taking a hit. I'm not worried yet though these storms aren't helping. Planned longer runs on the weekends but 60+mph winds for a sustained run is too unpleasant for training.

I also need waterproofs for Lakeland. Taped seams but lightweight and packable. Problem for me is I'd never wear the trousers unless I had an issue on an event and was left exposed (which is what they're for). In normal life they wouldn't see the light of the day I becasue always wear shorts but the jacket I could use hiking in changable conditions. Lakeland has a strict kit list though so needs must, maybe it'll encourage me to be a bit more sensible for once :D

Soldato
Associate
Well luckily the storm not too bad in my area. Got up early yesterday for my long run and it was fine. Similarly today, wind had calmed down but rain was a bit heavier.

Just over two months to London, and thus far have avoided injury! Averaging around 65 miles/week. Not quite in the form I was last year but hopefully will be by the start.

Soldato
Managed my run. Didn’t end up using any of the waterproof stuff I’d bought but hopefully it all comes in in the future!

Course got cut short to avoid a few flooded/heavily exposed areas so worked out around 16.5 miles. I really need to work on longer runs as I rarely go over 10-12 and it really felt it towards the end. Especially running through boggy mud which was energy sapping.

Decided to keep the Fenix 6 and so glad I did. I’d have had no hope Navigating without it!

Back
Top Bottom