Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Man of Honour
Lastly my trainer sole is starting to come away so going to superglue it for now but later this month I'm going to head to https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk
And get some fitted ones. I assume I can get some decent trainers for less than 80ish?

Well done on your third parkrun, it sounds like you're making progress and learning how to pace yourself a bit better.

Yes, you can get decent trainers for less than £80. You can often get bargains from last year's models and you probably wouldn't even notice the difference from the latest versions apart from the colours but the shop will be able to help you out once they've done the fitting. I've never been but Pete Bland and his shop are quite famous in the fell running community I believe.

Soldato
Resting HR is currently showing 52 over the last 4 weeks measurements.

Garmin Zones are
Z1: 86 - 103
Z2: 103 - 120
Z3: 120 - 138
Z4: 138 - 155
Z5: 155 - 172

Stava Zones
Z1: 0 - 117
Z2: 117 - 145
Z3: 145 - 160
Z4: 160 - 174
Z5: 174 +

I might just adjust the Strava ones to match now that I found how to set custom zones.
What formula had you used for those Garmin zones?

Associate
I just let it work it out for itself to be honest. It appears to be basing it on 172 max HR and then percentages in 10% steps (Z1 = 50-60% etc)

Later, when I was working out I came to the conclusion that there are many different ways of working it out and unless I want to splash out on actually proving the numbers I will probably just leave them as they are :)

Soldato
I just let it work it out for itself to be honest. It appears to be basing it on 172 max HR and then percentages in 10% steps (Z1 = 50-60% etc)

Later, when I was working out I came to the conclusion that there are many different ways of working it out and unless I want to splash out on actually proving the numbers I will probably just leave them as they are :)

Check out kavonen formula which takes into account your resting HR. https://www.topendsports.com/fitness/karvonen-formula.htm

Associate
New shoes :) Thought I would try out some Boost type shoes so bought the Adidas Pureboost DPR in the sales. Very comfortable to wear casually and felt completely natural during a Parkrun on Saturday. Unfortunately on lap 2 of 3 I noticed a lace had come undone, this has never happened in a race and wasn't sure if I should carry on or stop and tie them up again. I decided to stop and probably lost 10 - 20 seconds but still managed a pb of 19:39 and finished P3. Think I will give them a few more 5 and 10k races but will definitely be double tieing!

Associate
What was your previous PB? Before I rush out to buy some ;)

if it was like 30mins, then i'm sold! If is was 19:40 then I may wait a little :D
:D;) Actual time difference was only a couple of seconds, but with the shoelace incident and the heat I do feel they felt fast and light compared to my Kinvara 8s. Definitely never buy anything on my recommendation :D:D:D

Associate
I think i may have my shoe sizing slightly out anyway. I lost my big toenail after the Marathon and it looks like the toe next to it keeps getting banged on the end (it is slightly longer than big toe) so am thinking of going up 1/2 size next time to see if that helps.

Associate
I think i may have my shoe sizing slightly out anyway. I lost my big toenail after the Marathon and it looks like the toe next to it keeps getting banged on the end (it is slightly longer than big toe) so am thinking of going up 1/2 size next time to see if that helps.

For some reason I always lose a toe nail in the marathon. I can quite happily run 22 mile training runs and finish with all nails intact, but if my feet know they are in a marathon they decide to lose a nail. Weird.

Associate
Similarly, I have taped my heel for years as I used to get blisters. I have no clue if this is still the case or if the problem went away at some change of shoes.

Finding out might mean getting blisters so i just keep on buying the tape and using it!

Caporegime
Managed to do 10k last night whilst keeping HR in the "Easy" zone (Max was about 142 and Avg at 132).

Garmin connect claims that this was basically in Zone 3 and thats kind of where I was aiming. Strava appears to have decided on completely different thresholds and I did it largely in Zone 2. All I know is that it is harder than it sounds to go slowly :)

breathing is key. does help a lot if you a tall person aswell with big lungs. one thing with running is dont over due it. you end up like a knackered horse.our joints are not meant for 24/7 running. i kinda regret doing so much early on now at 40 really caught up and the aches and pains kick in.

Associate
Been a while since I've been in here due to a lack of running effort on my part but slowly getting some miles back in, planning on getting a 1/2 race in Oct/Nov to make sure I do at least one race this year.

On the shoe front as Ian_EB and The Darkness brought it up, I recently got a new pair of Asics Cumulus Gel 19s, I swear they're smaller than the 18 or 17s. Last shoes were the fuzexlyte as could not get a sub £100 on the cumulus, but the size 12's feel like an 11 and my toes are right at the edge so it's only a matter of time before I start getting some black toes which only happen when they are too tight :(

Must be internal padding as I just compared with the fuze and the cumulus are actually slightly longer......damn my big feet making running shoes more expensive, or damn Asics in ruining what were my perfect shoe.

Associate
Been a while since I've been in here due to a lack of running effort on my part but slowly getting some miles back in, planning on getting a 1/2 race in Oct/Nov to make sure I do at least one race this year.

On the shoe front as Ian_EB and The Darkness brought it up, I recently got a new pair of Asics Cumulus Gel 19s, I swear they're smaller than the 18 or 17s. Last shoes were the fuzexlyte as could not get a sub £100 on the cumulus, but the size 12's feel like an 11 and my toes are right at the edge so it's only a matter of time before I start getting some black toes which only happen when they are too tight :(

Must be internal padding as I just compared with the fuze and the cumulus are actually slightly longer......damn my big feet making running shoes more expensive, or damn Asics in ruining what were my perfect shoe.

Can you not return and go a half or full size up?

Associate
Sadly no as wasn't till out for a run I realised the quite how snug they were. Maybe they just need to loosen up a little. On the plus side zero blisters or rub marks, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Associate
So after an inflamed Achilles caused me to drop out of an April marathon, I'm back in training. One of the great things about everything being recorded in my Strava account is I can look back at my weekly mileage and general training schedule and see if there was a likely cause of over-exertion etc that may have led to the injury. With the benefit of hindsight, it looks like I escalated my weekly long run distance too quickly after Christmas in an effort to get some 20 milers in before the race. Really poor weather (beast from the east) reduced the number of long run opportunities too so I think I tried to skip a few jumps and went from 13 to 18milers....

This time around I'm looking to run more often (previously training on 3 days/week; currently on 4/week, heading for 5/week) with the following general plan. I'm looking to run this to build general fitness and then extend the long run as I get closer to the marathon.

M: Rest
T: Easy with strides
W: Speed workout
Th: easy miles
Fr: Rest
Sat: Easy with strides
Sun: Long easy.

Current easy pace = ~8min/mile, 5k race pace = ~6m10s/mile

I commute each work day on bike too; I rarely push it on these commutes, so I treat them as recovery.

Comments/builds/critique of this plan encouraged and welcomed, cheers!

Back
Top Bottom