Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Oh jeez, that's crappy mate :(. I think I'd ice it for a day and see if it goes down?

Yeah. Currently sat on a sunbed with a few cushions under it and ice.

I guess the issue is that ice doesn’t last long in 30C sun!

There are worse places to be I guess!
CPxmSsO

EH0s53w.jpeg[img]

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the ice and rest will see it right. As you say there’s worse places you could be!

Missed yesterday’s run as had a biopsy and stitches is my mouth and was told not to run for the day, knew I should have gone before the appointment.

Got out this morning for an 8 mile tempo run. Might take a 2nd run after work. Not sure if I’ll make a long run I’m Sunday due to plans with the kids.

Soldato
Cheers. Am hoping it’s not as bad as the swelling is suggesting.
Have gone to a chemist for ibuprofen and some bandage to strap it so fingers crossed it all helps.

I’ve a 30 miler at the end of September I don’t want to miss out on!

Also can confirm sun cream in open wounds is agony!

Associate
That's my worry at the moment just making sure to not injury myself ahead of London. Hope the ice, rest and copious amounts of holiday alcohol fix it quick for you.

I did go out for another 7 miles after work, can't recall if I've ever done 2 runs in a day before, still 15 miles in total for the day so don't feel so bad about ordering that Dominos.

Soldato
I quite like double run days. Although mine were generally 5/5 rather than anything more.

My dads insisting on taking me to a&e in the morning. Was at a restaurant and it started feeling numb. My wife googled it and seemed to read that if it’s bruised and painful it’s a sprain. If it’s numb/tingly it’s a fracture and so that’s scared him into action.

We fly home Monday so hopefully it’s not too serious. I am walking like an absolute cripple, luckily they have a walking stick I’ve been using.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well Covid has struck....

Think I have got off lightly but no sense of smell.... This is bad for kit sniffing and thinking did I wash this :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think I need to stop reading here. Worried everyone’s bad luck will rub off on me!

Jokes aside, SPG hope you’re not to badly affected and come out the otherside ok. Martynt it’s good it’s not broken at least. Hope you get rested up and repaired quickly.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Couple of rough days hitting the lemsips beyond recommended dosage and loss of smell, Did a V02 Max session on the bike the day I tested positive (no chance of doing that the day after though) :)
but just a 3 day flu for me.

Soldato
Good to hear, have heard from a few people that fatigue has been a lasting symptom so good to know you don't seem to be suffering with that.

I'm all home now. Annoyingly my right knee is feeling a little strained. I guess it's due to my right leg taking a lot of the weight when i'm moving around. Especially since i'm back working and my office is upstairs. Have pulled out a 4L water bottle to minimise how much i have to go downstairs! Although it may also just be delayed pain from the fall, i tore a good chunk of skin (around 5mm deep) right from the centre of the knee so it must've taken a fair old knock!

Another downside is that my weight has increased from 100 to 108 whilst i've been away. That's not going to help my joints at all!

Going to look into some arm only cardio based workouts i can do at home to try and keep my fitness up.

Last edited:
Associate
I did my last long run on Sunday before London. It was 35km mostly along country roads so I had to do a fair bit of car dodging but thankfully I didn't fall of the edge of the road. Wishing you a speedy recovery @Martynt74! I did develop a blister about halfway which was a pain but it's my first blister in ages so can't complain too much really. My long runs have mostly gone really well so I am feeling good about the race at the moment. I'm looking forward to tapering down now although I've still got to do almost 90km this week.

I bought the Nike ZoomX Invincible shoes recently which are making recovery runs a joy. Managed to get them for £100 so very pleased with them.

Soldato
Cheers @dwarf. BTW It's worth checking out blister plasters, might be worth applying one on the day of the race just in case :)

I took off the hospital bandage off last night, my toes were really swollen and i couldn't get any benefit from ice packs. When i took it off it my foot was still heavily swollen which i wasn't expecting, it was actually worse than at the weekend! I stuck it in an ice bath and then spent the rest of the night with it elevated. I'd bought an ankle strap and am using that in conjunction with some compression socks i already had and the swelling seems to have come down a bit. I think the hospital bandage must've been a bit tight and so held fluid in my foot.

Because my current things are less tight i can also start some small movements and rotations. I imagine that should be fine at this point (day 5), although i've booked an appt with my GP for later this morning just to get confirmation.

Soldato
Well I figured why choose between 5k and 10k trail next year, signing up to Staveley 5K in May and then have a choice between 5 locations for 10k between Sep and Nov.

Annoyingly though my Achille's tendon pain decided to come back, not even after a run on Monday but before when I haven't done anything strenuous for weeks!

Associate
Sounds like your well prepared there @dwarf I got one Sunday too but I know it’s where I’d used an older pair of socks, just need to keep to only my newer good condition ones for the longer runs. Thankfully not giving me any issues though.

My mileage is still going to be about 40-45 this week and next just the long runs will be about 2.5hrs max now and just have a few miles at goal pace and a fast finish to stretch them out

Back
Top Bottom