Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Garnin Felix 6X pro.

I think the problem was that it initially suggested a workout involving sprints. I thought it might be decent but then decided against it as it’d be too strenuous. When I then cancelled the workout I think that then counted as a “lap” at around 0.3 miles.

So then when auto lap started up again it counted another mile from that point so lap 2 ended up being 1.3 miles etc. I think my brain acknowledged this at some point but then broke itself and started thinking the other way.

Entirely my own fault!

Soldato
Well, didn't get mt 10k in as i was sensible, however i did realise i was 4.7 miles from hitting 20 miles for the week and figured i'd make that a new goal since it's a decent base to build on.

I keep looking at the Lakeland virtual event next month. It's tricky as the 50 doesn't feel like enough of a challenge but the 100 feels like too big a step. Might just give it a miss altogether!

Associate
Well done on being sensible, always a good approach to take! I feel I'm getting a bit tired, did another 5k earlier today that's just over 12 miles in last 7 days, not loads but after 12 hour shifts it takes it's toll :o Just glad to be out and continuing to run.

Capodecina
Soldato
Don't think I need to create a new thread for this so I'll put it in here.

I'm doing my first half marathon since 2013 on Sunday. The last one I did pretty well with a time of 1.53, but I don't think I'm quite as fit as I was, and I think I could have taken training a little more seriously this time.

Average time for a 5k these days is 27 mins, ave for a 10k is around 57 mins.

However, I did a 15k on Sunday just gone and did it in 92 mins. I started seriously slowing down in the last 3k or so [after one gel] and I was aching to **** afterwards and all day yesterday. I am feeling better today. I plan to do no more training before the race apart from one more 5k either on Thur or Friday.

Any other advice for this week? Drink lots of water, eat well and have lots of pasta the night before the race? :D I would love to make a time of under 2h on Sun, but the way things are going I think it's more likely to be between 2h-2.5h. However, I will try for that 2h mark on Sunday.

EDIT: my current plan is to start slower than I normally would and gradually build up from there. It's four laps of the circuit of 5k each. So if I do each like this:

I should make it within 2h.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck. I was actually watching something that advocated a short run the day before the event (even if just a single mile), something to do with your body re-allocating resource from certain muscles when not used so the days off prior to the run is more of a hindrance and why some people start events feeling a bit crappy.

As with anything in this field though it's difficult to get definitive advice as everyone has evidence proving something different!

I'm not sure there's much more you could do between now and then really. Maybe take a few gels and consume them at set intervals rather than when you feel you're flagging. Guess the main thing is with your plan being to start slow, try and be really strict on that, it's very easy to get carried away at the start of a race!

Capodecina
Soldato
I'm not sure there's much more you could do between now and then really. Maybe take a few gels and consume them at set intervals rather than when you feel you're flagging. Guess the main thing is with your plan being to start slow, try and be really strict on that, it's very easy to get carried away at the start of a race!

Thanks, I would normally take one gel every 45 mins, is this enough or should it be more often?

And I'm a big advocate of starting slowly. I remember at my last half I started way more slowly than I thought I should, and it worked really well in the long run.

Breakfast will be two slices of brown toast, peanut butter, banana and some black coffee :)

Soldato
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but on my Saturday run, my Garmin asked me for feedback following a run such as how hard an activity it was and whether i felt weak/strong etc throughout the run.

I wonder if this is something they're looking to add in? It's quite good having that feedback after a run. I know you can add notes etc to Strava but i never do that. Having a prompt immediately works nicely.

Associate
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but on my Saturday run, my Garmin asked me for feedback following a run such as how hard an activity it was and whether i felt weak/strong etc throughout the run.

I wonder if this is something they're looking to add in? It's quite good having that feedback after a run. I know you can add notes etc to Strava but i never do that. Having a prompt immediately works nicely.
Yeah, mine started doing this recently too but only after a workout. If I just start a normal run it doesn't ask for any feedback.

Soldato
Yeah, mine started doing this recently too but only after a workout. If I just start a normal run it doesn't ask for any feedback.

Ah interesting. That might explain it then as i started the run as a workout, but then cancelled the workout around 5 minutes in as decided to do something else.

Have signed up to marshall an event in January, the rewards seem quite good for giving up a few hours and it's only fairly local. It's part of a Petzl Nightrunner series so hoping i can run the course after the event too.

hux

hux

Soldato
I got endorphin pros, really nice, could hardly believe it at first but now the norm.

It's worth saving up and getting a good pair £120+.

Got mine here.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...lAypsDfILFh-mNiZvm7hoCdnMQAvD_BwE#sku-sau4049

Your legs, knees, joints will thank me later.
I wouldn't recommend those for a social runner, I have the endorphin speed 2 and they took a while to adjust to.
Something like puma deviate nitro, nike pegasus 38, or even what I've just bought the adidas adios 6 would be better options as a daily beater.

Sure the saucony is a great shoe, but the forefoot doesn't have that much tread, so would question longevity.

Plus they beat my legs for a good couple weeks, as you do need to adjust your running to them.

Actually does anyone know when the fenix 7 will be dropping, my Huawei watch gt is getting shockingly inaccurate.

Soldato
Soo I broke my p.b. did 10k in 51:20 not terrible for my 5th attempt since I got fat.

Only problem is my shoes are trying to gnaw through my feet, I have two massive blisters under the foot pad beneath my big toe and up under the arch about 5 cms long on both feet. The blister's seem to arrive at the 6k mark so my 6-10 k section the pace drops off massively.

I've tried double thin socks, if tried thin inner sock thick outer, I've tried the above with a big plaster. I'm tempted to duck tape the **** out of my foot at this point.

Any recommendations on how to stop these bloody things or do I need a new pair of shoes? If so any recommendations for under £80 ( I run on the road/ pavement)

Cheers

hux

hux

Soldato
Puma deviate nitro or Reebok floatride energy 3.

Look into trying stance socks, they're brilliant.
As for insoles it's very personal, I like work active sports or sole active, as they slowly mould to your feet.
Try looking at body glide anti chafe, me and many others swear by it, I need it between my toes otherwise I'll blister.

Last edited:
Associate
Soo I broke my p.b. did 10k in 51:20 not terrible for my 5th attempt since I got fat.

Only problem is my shoes are trying to gnaw through my feet, I have two massive blisters under the foot pad beneath my big toe and up under the arch about 5 cms long on both feet. The blister's seem to arrive at the 6k mark so my 6-10 k section the pace drops off massively.

I've tried double thin socks, if tried thin inner sock thick outer, I've tried the above with a big plaster. I'm tempted to duck tape the **** out of my foot at this point.

Any recommendations on how to stop these bloody things or do I need a new pair of shoes? If so any recommendations for under £80 ( I run on the road/ pavement)

Cheers
Congrats on the PB! Sorry to hear about the blisters but I suspect it could be an easy fix.

Blisters are a result of friction and there are usually two culprits: improperly fitting shoes or poor quality socks. With running shoes you typically do not want you foot sliding around within your either sock or your shoe. You want a nice locked-in feel but also you do not want them too small or this will apply pressure to build at certain points. If you suspect the lock down is the culprit you can either look to use the "runners knot" to improve this or look to get a new pair of shoes if your current ones are the wrong size or not designed for running. Hux has recommended two well regarded daily shoes at that price point. The Nike Pegasus 38 or Nike React Miler can be found around £80 on sale, which they often are. Nike running shoes seem to be a bit polarising due to the narrow mid foot but worth a try and if you order from nike.com they give you 60 days to try them out on as many runs as you like and return them if you don't like them. Personally I would go (and have gone) for the Reebok floatride energy 3 at this price (I managed to pick them up for around £60)

You also want to keep your feet dry as moist feet will blister more easily. Proper running socks that wick moisture away from your feet will be what you want. These will have no (or low content) cotton. Hux suggested stance, and I can second that recommendation but they are quite expensive. I also have these and these less expensive socks which have served me just as well as more expensive stance or injinji socks.

From what you describe I suspect that the culprit is that you are either running in cotton socks or the doubling up of socks is the issue as you'll be getting sweaty feet either way. If you're doubling up because the shoes are too big then you'll need better fitting shoes. If you are doubling up because you are trying to solve the blister issue then you probably just need some proper running socks.

Soldato
How does everybody hear listen to music/podcasts when running? I HATE taking my phone with me, I don't like to carry it in my hand and i've tried a chest belt before but didn't like it.

Is there anything else to use that I haven't thought about?

Soldato
How does everybody hear listen to music/podcasts when running? I HATE taking my phone with me, I don't like to carry it in my hand and i've tried a chest belt before but didn't like it.

Get a watch that stores music/podcasts?

My Garmin Fenix allows me to save music from Spotify/Deezer directly on the watch and then my headphones just connect to that. They do quite a few "Music" models and if you sync Playlists rather than specific albums, it'll auto update via wifi whenever it's charging.
Apple watches were a bit trickier as i had to subscribe to Apple Music and load music from that, it was a pain having to subscribe to that ontop of Spotify but Spotify wasn't supported. Not sure if that's changed or not now though.

The other option would be for some 2 in 1 shorts with a very tight fitting pocket
https://oncros.com/products/joggers...l1lnpqek4VRPfreR5yu6WaviqyiGIpLEaAth1EALw_wcB

I've never tried them, but i suspect that would work. My preferred shorts (UA Launch 9), have an integrated pocket inside the pocket which holds my phone in place quite well during runs and i don't mind carrying it. However on other shorts with looser pockets i hated it and never carried it with me.

Associate
I always take my phone with me for music but also for emergencies. I make sure any running shorts I buy have a pocket at the back to keep the phone in (like these). A pocket here tends to hold the phone tight and distributes the weight evenly so I just forget it's there really. Other people like the flip belt or the naked running band for holding phones but I find these can get a bit hot/annoying.

Capodecina
Soldato

I've given up listening to music while running because I hate taking my phone.

I used to have a Zen Stone which was perfect but it fell apart and I can't find anything like it now.

Back
Top Bottom