Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I always take my phone with me for music but also for emergencies. I make sure any running shorts I buy have a pocket at the back to keep the phone in (like these). A pocket here tends to hold the phone tight and distributes the weight evenly so I just forget it's there really. Other people like the flip belt or the naked running band for holding phones but I find these can get a bit hot/annoying.

Do you not find that the phone bounces around everywhere? That's one of the reasons I stopped too!

Associate
Do you not find that the phone bounces around everywhere? That's one of the reasons I stopped too!
Not at all. The phone is quite tight in the pocket, so it doesn't bounce around inside the pocket, and the position below the waist band holds it against the small of your back very securely. It does depend on the shorts as my phone did bounce around in these. However these, these and these have been fine. I honestly don't even notice it is there.

Soldato
You clearly favour short shorts! Those second ones look good though.

I guess it depends on the phone too, some people favour absolutely massive phones and so i imagine something like an Iphone 12 plus would bounce around a lot more than my Iphone SE (which is still a little bigger than i'd like).

I'd also throw Danish Endurance socks into the ring, i really like the brand as a whole and find them well priced for really good stuff. I wanted to love Injinji ones, but because of my stupid claw toes, i didn't fit them very well and ended up with lots of loose toe sock material.

Associate
You clearly favour short shorts! Those second ones look good though.

I guess it depends on the phone too, some people favour absolutely massive phones and so i imagine something like an Iphone 12 plus would bounce around a lot more than my Iphone SE (which is still a little bigger than i'd like).
:p Can't beat short shorts for racing/workouts. My pixel 6 is very large and just fits into those shorts pockets although at 6.4 inches is probably the limit. The pockets are stretchy, except for the zip obviously, so can adjust to suit what size phone you have.
Not the flip belt, but i have the Salomon version

It doesn't ride up for me, although i do find that water bottles can bounce around move than i'd hoped so i very rarely use it.
I also have the Salomon belt. Water bottles and heavier items do bounce around quite a bit and if I'm carrying water or a lot of stuff I'll use a hydration vest. I don't find these sorts of belts all that comfortable, I certainly don't forget that I'm wearing it, but I do use my Salomon one for carrying gels etc for a marathon as it's better than the bulkier alternatives. They don't ride up, they ride down onto your hips if anything, although perhaps it's supposed to be worn on the hips in the first place. The Salomon belt is a bit bulkier than the flip belt though so perhaps that would be better as it's lighter. However, if I don't have the pocket at the back of my shorts, the Salomon belt what I use to carry my phone/keys as it's the next best thing.

Associate
For blisters, I always used to just use Zinc Oxide plaster tape directly on my foot in the areas where they always appeared. After a while though, they just stopped happening and I don't need to bother any more.

I jam my phone into the packet on my decathlon hydration thing. It is meant to be for an additional water bottle, but the phone just fits and I don't really notice it.

@Martynt74 What are the rewards for being a marshall then? You can't be telling us they are good and then not telling us what they are ;)

Soldato
Well you get petrol money/food but then you also get a free entry into a future event (and maybe even a free t shirt).

It’s the event entry that appeals. I’m not sure I’d want to Marshall a marathon as the thought of standing around for 6+ hours doesn’t seem worth it. However, for. 10k it’ll only be a few hours and I can then go and run afterwards on the route!

Soldato
I really need some new trainers, it sounds silly but I don't actually know where to get them. In the past i've always just bought a pair online and hoped for the best.

Now after 2 years of rehab and starting to run more oftern (2-3 times a week, only 2-3 miles so far) I feel like I need a new pair.

There is a 'Runnersworld' shop about 15 minutes away, are they any good at helping chose the correct trainer? Do I have to 'run' in the store for them or can it be done without that?

Soldato
I really need some new trainers, it sounds silly but I don't actually know where to get them. In the past i've always just bought a pair online and hoped for the best.

Now after 2 years of rehab and starting to run more oftern (2-3 times a week, only 2-3 miles so far) I feel like I need a new pair.

There is a 'Runnersworld' shop about 15 minutes away, are they any good at helping chose the correct trainer? Do I have to 'run' in the store for them or can it be done without that?

This place?
http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/

They look to be a decent store with a reasonable range, only issue is they all seem full priced whereas you can usually get some last season trainers reduced in other places. It can be beneficial to run in store, at least to get an initial idea. They'll get you to run a few options and then do some gait analysis to offer recommendations. It's only ~20 seconds at a time so don't think you're going to be dripping sweat everywhere!

The other option is to try this out to get an idea of what might be useful
https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/ShoeFinder

The other option is a few places Brooks/Hoka offer returns even after you've worn the trainers and ran in them. That could help you ensure they're the right fit/feel for you.

Soldato
Bit of a cross post from my "training log", but i've signed up with a coach for a training plan in the hope of maximising efficiency of training and be as ready as possible for the tough run in March. Today also marks 2 months since the injury took place and whilst it's not fully recovered it's much better. i was clearly deluding myself when i initially thought i'd be back after a month!

Today was mainly the start and had me doing some hill reps and there's quite a few "hilly" runs in the training plan which i'm looking forward to after a few months of mostly flat runs. A little nervous about tackling some trails, especially given it's often dark these days when i go out, but going to give some light trails a go on Saturday when i can get out in daylight.

My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be a large build up in duration over the 4 weeks he's currently planned out. Even in week 4 the "long run" is only 75 minutes, whereas i'd have expected to have increased to 2 hours by then to then push on towards some long 20/30 mile runs in January/Feb. Particularly as i had hoped to tackle the Yorkshire 3 peaks next month!
I've asked his thoughts on it, it may be he's just being cautious due to my ankle so will see what he says.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a head torch please, looking to get my wife one for Christmas?

I've been looking at the Olight Array 2, but open to other options too, preferably something with a built in rear light.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a head torch please, looking to get my wife one for Christmas?

I've been looking at the Olight Array 2, but open to other options too, preferably something with a built in rear light.

I've just ordered the Silva Free Runner Ultra which fits the bill. I needed a separate power pack option but if that's not a factor then yours looks pretty good.

I had bought the LED Lenser H8R but the red light on the back was pathetic so i wouldn't consider that.

Soldato
I've just ordered the Silva Free Runner Ultra which fits the bill. I needed a separate power pack option but if that's not a factor then yours looks pretty good.

I had bought the LED Lenser H8R but the red light on the back was pathetic so i wouldn't consider that.

Thank you, that looks perfect apart from the price, I was hoping for something around the £50 mark.

Soldato
I think yours is likely the best option then to be honest. There don't seem to be many with a rear red light as that was something i wanted to avoid having to use a separate option.

Depending on how important battery is to you. The Silva has 3 levels. The "Ultra" comes with a 4ah long life battery. However they do a lower model.

The Base version (~£55), has no rechargable battery but takes AAA batteries which you could charge manually whenever needed
https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/silva_t...9mwR4ubeZxzsXeVkivWnOrqNPUxoE3lhoC4n0QAvD_BwE

EDIT - Not sure how legit this website is, but it has the mid level "Hybrid" option with a 1.5AH battery for £65
https://www.freshairjunkie.co.uk/pr...26&sfdr_hash=be9c5fbdb73e8a113f8a801b8890f924

Soldato
Well of course, as soon as I get into the habit and stride of it again, just rolled my ankle really bad. Bloody piles of leaves so couldn't see anything underneath so naturally hit a big hole at most awkward angle.

Felt almost electric shock and then actually a cold feeling and barely hobbled back to the car. Working this weekend too with a shift in just over an hour and pretty active on my feet so expecting it to be completely ruined come Monday.

Soldato
Well of course, as soon as I get into the habit and stride of it again, just rolled my ankle really bad. Bloody piles of leaves so couldn't see anything underneath so naturally hit a big hole at most awkward angle.

Felt almost electric shock and then actually a cold feeling and barely hobbled back to the car. Working this weekend too with a shift in just over an hour and pretty active on my feet so expecting it to be completely ruined come Monday.

Oh no, really sorry to hear that. Especially with being unable to rest it and ice etc.

Have you got any kind of bandage you can wrap around it for support/compression?

Associate

I've been using this Decathlon head torch. The light on the back is a bit misleading in the pictures as its just a battery indicator when charging. I clipped one of these clip lights onto the back of the torch band and suits me fine. However, I have asked santa for a Petzl Bindi as the decathlon torch is a bit over the top for running in the city.

Back
Top Bottom