Playing Xbox through PC?

Associate
Hopefully i have put this in the right section, if not admin please feel free to move to a section more suitable.

My son recently got himself a Xbox Series S and has connected it up to a spare HDMI slot he has on his second monitor and has been using the headphone slot on his controller for sound, He recently asked me if there was anyway to play the console through his PC so if he wanted to play all he would have to do is open some software which would show what the Xbox would display and all the sound would come out of his PC speakers. I must admit i wouldn't know where to start with this issue and trying to find a solution via google has left me more confused than when i started. but i am sure there is a solution out there somewhere, wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction for what i need to be looking for/at?

khevolution

Associate
OP
Associate
Does the monitor have an audio out? if so, connect the speakers to that instead. then it should route the audio from whichever input is being used through to the speakers.

Associate
You could use an HDMI capture device. The cheapest being one of the USB ones ( about £15 ) ... they appear as a standard video camera to any program within windows, you could even use the basic camera app of windows to bring up the display in a resizable window.

A marked step up from that would be the Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2. ( ~£140 ) This is a PCIe card that plugs into your computer, and again appears as a standard camera within windows and will capture 1080p

The difference being the performance. There is sometimes a slight lag to the USB HDMI capture devices which I didn't find with the HD2, and the video quality of USB isn't quite as good as the Live Gamer HD2. I have both types, and had both installed at the same time, and swapped the source hdmi between each, and I could tell a slight difference between them. That being said, the USB was very good in its own right for the money ... just the HD2 better.

THere are also other cards that will do 4K etc, but the series S xbox is essentially a 1080p device, so will suited to the HD2.

Soldato
Just quickly tried it before work and its saying that app only works for xbox one consoles and not series S/X, plus ideally i would be looking for more of a hardware solution rather than streaming as my internet isn't the most stable at the moment.
It works fine on series X. You need the new app. Only issue is you can't use the pcs keyboard and mouse. :(

Can't help with the internet issue, but I wonder if it's smart enough to stream locally.

Back
Top Bottom