*PlayStation 3 Discussions*

Soldato
So let's talk. Do any of you still use your PS3? What games are you playing?

I still continue to buy games for this system, one of the most entertaining systems ever released and still comes in handy as a BluRay player. Even though plenty of games have received remasters for the PS4, this system still contains plenty of gems that's only on PS3. So feel free to either discuss both or just those available on PS3.

Recently I've started playing older games on PC like COD2, BF3, BF:BC2 and it got me wondering about BF1943. After some Googling, the game appears to still be active. I jumped on last night and found a game with around 19/20 people. Though sadly, nobody was playing Air Superiority. The game is still fun today and so long as there's a community, I'll probably jump in every so often. I hear the community on Xbox is bigger though due it being on GamePass. But atleast online is free on PS3.

Another two games I occasionally jump on is MotorStorm and Warhawk, which both are now active enough to play online with the help of a group reopening the servers.

Do you still buy? The games are pretty cheap to obtain now. What do you still play? Do you have any gems that wasn't given a remaster?

If you fancy adding your PSN name to your post, I'll keep a list in a spoiler. I think I have 4-5 friends that has been on PS3 within last year or two :(.

OcUK <-> PSN
Spacedeck - Spacedeck
JoeBoi - pleyor

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no real attachment to that era really. Yes there were a lot of good releases but generally games around that time were a grey/brown sludgy mess with questionable framerate issues. Think my collection is basically fighters, racers and the ninja gaidens.
I have an OG PS3 (with all the chips and slots) but too afraid to turn it on nowadays in case it explodes into a fireball.

Soldato
The PS3 for me was completely dedicated to CoD MW3 and black ops 2. Some real great memories from it expecially arranging meets and taking console/tv somewhere and getting some food in.
I had a look a while back and there was only a couple of hundred people on BO2 so I guess those days are well over now.

Soldato
I just traded my PS3 in as I have a 360 and the 360 is much nicer to use in 2022. Nicer controller, AA batteries, nicer quicker interface.

The platform exclusive games I want to play I now own on PS4 and my 360 can play the multiplat games fine.

I did enjoy playing Black Ops 1 multiplayer about a year ago and I never had any trouble finding a game.

I was trying to play GT6 as sort of the swansong for the ps3 (60fps 1080p) but it's such a pain - a couple of hours of updating from the PS3 dashboard and then a few more hours updating from within the game and you need to stop the PS3 from going to sleep during that time! Also the game isn't that great.

Soldato
I occasionally use my PS3, mostly for on-rail / light gun shooters at the moment.

I picked up Time Crisis 4 with the G-Con 3 last year, and it is such a fantastic game. I was dubious of the IR senors but they work really well.

I have got quite a few PS Move light gun shooters that seem awful in comparsion, but still fun.

As per usual, massive backlog to play through, not sure if any of the lightgun shooters are online co-op (if anyone fancied playing through together).

My PSN username is pleyor

Soldato
I've been meaning to go and do a playthrough of GT6 lately, but not sure if I could be bothered with the patching process. Have also been thinking about giving Flower a go.
Mine was hacked, but I've put it back to normal firmware for the moment. Did a playthrough of Mass Effect on it a few months back, which was actually ok.

360/PS3 era is one of my favourites when it comes to stuff I still want to play.

No longer have my 360, but old fat PS3 still going well. Fully taking it apart, cleaning and repasting did wonders to the horrendous mess of noise.

Soldato
I have mine (a PS3 Slim as my original PS3 died many years ago) set-up along with my PS2 and PS5. The older two don't get a great deal of use but I wanted to make a feature out of them when I got new TV units etc last year. Really want to play the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy and R&C Nexus some day as I never got round to those back in the day. I swapped out the somewhat clicky HDD with a cheap SATA SSD too.

Also need to start looking for a decent-condition Dual Shock 3 as the sticks on mine have gone a bit sticky where the rubber has started to decay. Either that or get some replacement sticks.

Soldato
I have mine (a PS3 Slim as my original PS3 died many years ago) set-up along with my PS2 and PS5. The older two don't get a great deal of use but I wanted to make a feature out of them when I got new TV units etc last year. Really want to play the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy and R&C Nexus some day as I never got round to those back in the day. I swapped out the somewhat clicky HDD with a cheap SATA SSD too.

Also need to start looking for a decent-condition Dual Shock 3 as the sticks on mine have gone a bit sticky where the rubber has started to decay. Either that or get some replacement sticks.
New sticks are probably a good shout. DS3s seem hard to come by for a good price. a lot of fakes floating around as well.

Soldato
New sticks are probably a good shout. DS3s seem hard to come by for a good price. a lot of fakes floating around as well.

Yeah, I saw a couple in the window of CEX the other day and somewhat wished I'd asked to take a look, but would want to know how to tell the fakes and genuine ones apart first.

Man of Honour
I'm not much of a console player so my OG brick PS3 mostly just played GTA5 and Sky Go to watch the F1. Now my PS4 is doing the same :p Completed GTA5 on both of those and on PC :) I don't have the PS3 anymore but do have my very late version Xbox 360, the one with a tiny bit of SSD storage.

Caporegime
My big fat PS3 is predominantly a dust collector these days, it’s sat in my bedroom acting as a Blu-Ray player, I occasionally get a little BFBC2 on it but other than that, I should really sell it for the use it gets, the same could be said for my PC or at least it’s graphics card….

Soldato
PS3 is one of the weirdest consoles I've ever owned, played plenty of games over the years on the fat and slim line ones and traded them all in during the time it was popular but have very few enjoyable memories from it all. Think it was at the time of COD and FIFA being the main things anyone played.

Still have a working one with Skate 2 (genuinely a good game), Rayman Origins, GRID (best way to play it), ICO and Prince of Persia Trilogy but that's it. Curious what is considered a must play and a classic on this?

GT6 doesn't count, too much RnG to get the classic cars to finish the game :D

Soldato
PS3 is one of the weirdest consoles I've ever owned, played plenty of games over the years on the fat and slim line ones and traded them all in during the time it was popular but have very few enjoyable memories from it all. Think it was at the time of COD and FIFA being the main things anyone played.

Still have a working one with Skate 2 (genuinely a good game), Rayman Origins, GRID (best way to play it), ICO and Prince of Persia Trilogy but that's it. Curious what is considered a must play and a classic on this?

GT6 doesn't count, too much RnG to get the classic cars to finish the game :D
I'd say some of the best games on the PS3 have already been ported over to the PS4 - The Last of Us and Uncharted series.

Soldato
I'd say some of the best games on the PS3 have already been ported over to the PS4 - The Last of Us and Uncharted series.

Ha! Good to know I have the Uncharted series as the psn giveaway on the PS4... the last of us is one that I never really got into, have to revisit it at this rate

Soldato
I’ve got a 320g PS3 slim, still. I’ve got around 60 games to work my way through, incl the MGS and Uncharted series, some NFS etc. Just finding the time is the issue.

The Blu-ray drive is a little noisey these days in operation, but I can’t work out if that’s the norm or it’s on its way out. Original DS3s are seem to be an issue also, unless you pick up any of the fakes. I was going to pickup a new, boxed PS3 slim, just for future use, but prices are a little silly atm.

Soldato
Prices of used PS3s here are rock bottom at the moment. I thought about picking up a slim just as a spare, as could get one for about £40. For controllers I've got an original Sixaxis and a DS3. I do like the Sixaxis complete lack of weight but seriously, what were they thinking doing without rumble? Trying to save money and convincing us rumble was last gen... *Face palm*

Put mine back to most recent update stock firmware yesterday as want to see about getting some of the remaining GT6 trophies. The procedure to update GT6 remains one of the most farcical things in the console world. Think I'll be done at some point today, but this was started early yesterday... Far easier on modded firmware as you can just download your updates manually and one-by-one install from USB.

I've also got Oblivion GotY here that's tempting. A playthrough of the stock game could be fun.

Edit: Got a couple of hours in, using the G29. I still absolutely hate newer Gran Turismo's "catch the rabbit" style racing, but it's still a great game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly modified super slim, stripped cleaned and repasted. Fan controller mod fitted https://www.ebay.com/itm/191658450705. 15mm feet and bottom cooling vents added.
Only ever play the Lunar Module 'race' on GT6

52251854699_43444e866e_h.jpg

52251906314_8fa479abd0_b.jpg

52251854614_0751b4a7d3_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom