Please Critique My Site

Man of Honour
I have pretty much finished setting up my watch enthusiast forum and would appreciate some fresh eyes!

I would like to say that I will be changing the 'Friends' Section on the right to make it more attractive so if you can ignore that. What does everyone think about the design, colour scheme etc?

Let me know what you all think and thank you!

Calibre 24

colours work well, I can't see anything obvious that annoys me.

When I first logged on the front page looked a little cramped with the adverts down the side but the forums use the entire width so that's fine. Shame its a fixed width, my be a pain when people want to post some hi-res photos of their watches. I'm on a 24inch screen and half the screen is unused :)

colours work well, I can't see anything obvious that annoys me.

When I first logged on the front page looked a little cramped with the adverts down the side but the forums use the entire width so that's fine. Shame its a fixed width, my be a pain when people want to post some hi-res photos of their watches. I'm on a 24inch screen and half the screen is unused :)

Good point! I was thinking about limiting the size of the images so this wouldn't be a problem. I think I prefere fixed width myself but I can easily change.

Good point! I was thinking about limiting the size of the images so this wouldn't be a problem. I think I prefere fixed width myself but I can easily change.

I prefer fixed width too. Reading lines of text the width of a 1920 pixel screen is a pain in the hoop. Narrower columns of text are more readable.

You can always add a jquery plugin to open full-size images, such as lightbox.

I prefer fixed width too. Reading lines of text the width of a 1920 pixel screen is a pain in the hoop. Narrower columns of text are more readable.

You can always add a jquery plugin to open full-size images, such as lightbox.

Ah thank you I'll look in to that! Anyone else have any suggestions?

The threads/posts column is too narrow to fit everything in nicely.

I would also look at different icons for the forums, the brand ones should be simple enough.

I have never been a fan of vb, think the styling mechanism sucks big time, just give me a css file any day of the week. I prefer mybb myself and its free.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the t-shirt offer I have started? (the blue banner on the right) Do you like the offer?

Frankly I'm not sure if it's a great idea or ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tbh, that's a very basic/vanilla vBulletin installation with a theme which makes me want to navigate away from it (searing red text on a light background...). Also the level of advertising & affiliate-pimping is undesirable.

What are your thoughts on the t-shirt offer I have started? (the blue banner on the right) Do you like the offer?

Frankly I'm not sure if it's a great idea or ridiculous.
Wouldn't sway my decision to join/post at all. I have plenty of T-Shirts and don't need one with unknown branding on it.

Last edited:
Tbh, that's a very basic/vanilla vBulletin installation with a theme which makes me want to navigate away from it (searing red text on a light background...). Also the level of advertising & affiliate-pimping is undesirable.

Wouldn't sway my decision to join/post at all. I have plenty of T-Shirts and don't need one with unknown branding on it.

I fully agree with this guy

Add some banners and graphics and change the theme.

And as said way to many ads that are not very organized

There are a couple of really annoying hidden links, the themes select in the bottom left for example.

Also, the menu items don't have a selected state, although the hover state matches the forum link which makes it look and feel like they should have one.

In the FAQs the text is white on a light grey, making it hard to read, the hover state is black text which is nicer but on hover it's a bit redundant. It's also completely off style.

in fact, .blockrow a {} seems to be setting the font colour to #E6E6E6, overiding body a{} which is setting it to a rather fetching #C90000

Back
Top Bottom