Please decide for me..

Associate
They appear to not be honoring older orders now too.

I ordered the Alienware 15 R3 with 120hz G-SYNC and a few tweaks for £1886 Inc VAT on Nov 5th.
That order has sat in Pre-Production since then with the estimated delivery date slipping even further and further into late November (25th as of today).

I contacted them today to find out what's happening only to be told the following.

"I have checked the status and find that the note on this order is that a particular part of this order is " end of life" which would suggest that this order may not be fulfilled and could be cancelled. Please let me know if I can arrange a call from our sales team to discuss other options."

Instantly I checked the order page again to see that the configuration I've selected is now nearly £300 more.

This seems to me as a way of forcing me to repurchase at the higher price. The "other options" from the sales team will be a price hike! A bit underhanded to say the least.

I can still spec up the exact same machine just £300 more than before. There's nothing "end of life" with the spec, they're simply fobbing me off.

Not pleased.
I was toying with Auros and went for AW because it was cheaper and had TB3 support. I have no idea what to go for now.

AW and Auros seemed to be the only option for both 120hz AND G-SYNC.

WHAT? that is absolutely outrageous. To be honest with you I've used Dell once before in 2009 and was so angry with my experience that I swore off them.

I had been contemplating an AW but Dell have been refusing to price match even though it very clearly says so in their price match policy. Have been through 3 customer service reps so far and their response has been "nope not gonna happen" despite the other laptop having better specs. It's put me off Dell tbh

Last edited:
Associate
Just received a response from a Dell 'supervisor' about price matching against an Omen HP 17-w102na

Is this guy a ****** tool or what? He's comparing the base spec HP Omen to some custom spec AW 17 R4, doesn't understand what Tobii or G-sync are, has no clue what the i6700HQ is and still produces a system which has inferior specs at £544 more. How the **** do Dell hire people like this to represent them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
On 16 November 2016 at 13:19, <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Sirs

As per your request I have gone through the Chat transcript for a price match with a OMEN by HP 17-w102na Gaming Laptop .

The machine has Following Features with Price of £1499.00 Inc VAT
•Windows 10 Home 64
•Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
•43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal Full-HD (1920 x 1080) display with G-SYNC™
•8GB RAM memory with 128GB SSD and 1TB storage
•NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

But we don’t have a similar spec on Alienware machine as we are giving better Processor and screen which is increasing the price , the specs of the Alienware is as follows :
•Windows 10 Home 64
•Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
•17.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz TN Anti-Glare 300-nits enabled w/Tobii Eye-tracking
•8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz
•128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage )
•NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

Dell Alienware machine has better Processor (3.5ghz), Better Screen with the Tobii and so it is not possible to price match to OMEN by HP 17-w102na Gaming Laptop however I will try to get a better deal if you are interested to proceed with us.

Best regards
xxxxx

Associate
In a surprise turn of events I had confirmation on Friday that Dell have shipped my order from November 5th, despite it being stuck in Pre-Production and unlikely to ship due to a part being "End of Life".

Dell Customer Services passed my details onto Sales for me to place a new order due to the other one now being "End of Life". I replied to the sale guy saying that I was confused how a brand new product can become end of life and that I'm uncomfortable placing a new order until I have a greater understanding of what went wrong as I felt like I was being misled into placing a new order, at a higher price, for no reason other than because the price had gone up.

Might be coincidence, but I heard nothing back from sales and my order began processing through to In-Production leading to it shipping on Friday. I'll take that as a win to me.

I managed to get the 15 R3 with i7 6700HQ, GTX1070, 16GB RAM and the 1080p 120hz G-Sync screen for £1886 inc VAT.

I opted not to put SSD's in it, it's just got the standard 1TB SATA. I'll add my own SSDs for far less than they charge.

It looks like it might arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Soldato
In a surprise turn of events I had confirmation on Friday that Dell have shipped my order from November 5th, despite it being stuck in Pre-Production and unlikely to ship due to a part being "End of Life".

Dell Customer Services passed my details onto Sales for me to place a new order due to the other one now being "End of Life". I replied to the sale guy saying that I was confused how a brand new product can become end of life and that I'm uncomfortable placing a new order until I have a greater understanding of what went wrong as I felt like I was being misled into placing a new order, at a higher price, for no reason other than because the price had gone up.

Might be coincidence, but I heard nothing back from sales and my order began processing through to In-Production leading to it shipping on Friday. I'll take that as a win to me.

I managed to get the 15 R3 with i7 6700HQ, GTX1070, 16GB RAM and the 1080p 120hz G-Sync screen for £1886 inc VAT.

I opted not to put SSD's in it, it's just got the standard 1TB SATA. I'll add my own SSDs for far less than they charge.

Nice. Hopefully it all goes through smoothly. Post some pics up when it arrives.

Associate

Congrats and definitely put your own SSD's in there - Dell's upgrade costs are laughably high

Also head over to notebook forums as there's a few threads on the 15 R3's you should see. Basically you'll most likely want to run some benches to test temps and throttling - if you're getting anything above 50c on all four cores and the GPU you'll want to re-paste asap.

If you're getting different temps across different cores it's a heatsink issue and you may want to consider sending it back. If you have a read of the notebook forums you'll better understand what's going on with those units (and to a slightly lesser extent the 17 R4's as well)

Associate
Congrats and definitely put your own SSD's in there - Dell's upgrade costs are laughably high

Also head over to notebook forums as there's a few threads on the 15 R3's you should see. Basically you'll most likely want to run some benches to test temps and throttling - if you're getting anything above 50c on all four cores and the GPU you'll want to re-paste asap.

If you're getting different temps across different cores it's a heatsink issue and you may want to consider sending it back. If you have a read of the notebook forums you'll better understand what's going on with those units (and to a slightly lesser extent the 17 R4's as well)

I've been tracking similar threads on /r/alienware too. I'm hoping I might be one of the lucky ones without issues.

Planning to stick with the 1TB SATA for a period of time until stock of the Samsung 960 EVO SSD's is available. Was toying with SM961's until I saw the 960 should be available soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom