**** Please enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account ****

Commissario
We've had a handful of instances over the last few days where forum members have had their accounts compromised.

I must stress that there has been no data breach at OcUK but if someone gets into your email, it's then relatively straightforward for them to access your OcUK account.

It should also go without saying that the password you use for OcUK should be unique. You should not reuse the same password for anything on the internet, it's an invitation for disaster.

We strongly encourage you to enable two factor authentication (2FA) on your OcUK forum account.

2FA is now compulsory for everyone who has been a member for six months and who has 1,000 posts. If you're not forced to enable it, we strongly encourage you to enable it anyway.

Click on your username in the top right, then select Two-Step Verification.

You'll be prompted to enter your password.

Then click to Enable Verification Code via App.

XXUrhPa.png

Thanks.

Commissario
OP
Why the push for 2FA if there has been no security breach? securing an email address is basic internet that most people have managed for 20+ years.
Because we want to protect our members and the first thing that happened after these accounts were compromised was that they posted in MM trying to scam people.

Commissario
OP
Umm it's asked for my QR code again, this is the second time in a week! Already set to 60 days, and no I haven't changed IP or phone device
You should only be asked for your six digit numeric code every 30 days. If you're being prompted more often then you're doing something with cookies.

Commissario
OP
I suppose MM is creating an exception though.
Where peoples money is involved, we take matters seriously. There have been a handful of 'compromised' accounts recently (not just those referred to in this thread) where people have reused passwords and there have been fake threads created in the MM. Fortunately, each instance has been quite obvious and nobody has been caught out.

The last thing we want is for anyone to have any second thoughts about buying in the MM, it needs to be as safe as possible.

Would avoid inconveniencing users unnecessarily.
2FA is hardly an inconvenience. It takes a few seconds to set up and requires entering a code once a month.

Commissario
OP
Fine if you only look at forums on one device but what if you do it on several, pain in the bum and badly communicated.
Then you enter a code on each device, once every thirty days. Hardly a pain in the bum.

As for badly communicated, there's this thread, there was a forum wide notice pointing towards this thread and there's a notice that links you directly to the page to enable 2FA. What do you want us to do, send someone out to do it for you? :rolleyes:

I made a similar error on Friday night when I hadn't cottoned on that i needed to install a specific app to use a barcode to order some food.
I gave up and went to the bar! Table 202, big burger, large G&T, thank you very much :D

Commissario
OP
Already had to redo the 2FA.
Make sure the box is ticked to stay logged in and don't block cookies or keep clearing them.

The mods and OcUK staff have been using 2FA for a very long time, it works perfectly well. The only reason it will keep asking for authentication is if you're blocking the cookies or haven't ticked the box to stay logged in.

Back
Top Bottom