Please help.. 10-12Kbytes/s net

Caporegime
I don't know if it's throttling or something we can do something about but I'm sick of it

We used to get a poor 50-60KBps peak and 212 off peak which seemed to be throttled to 56KBps for streaming, recently it has been down to 12 almost all the time

Even worse it tends to loose connection every 1-5 minutes or so and picks up again a minute later. Sometimes it doesn't pick up at all and I have to reboot the router, which I can do from pc. Also sometimes it doesn't do this for ages, on a Sunday it worked almost all day with a different router, come Monday, back to being on off.

It does this regardless of the device. But signal is always there and mostly, not all the time, I can access the router.

It's temperamental, seems random, and inconsistent. Also seems to happen quicker if continually drawing data. Again not always the case.

Downloading from some websites is impossible, connection goes 3% in, download starts from 0, repeat failure. Instead of a reinstall taking a morning last easter weekend it took 4 days, I still don't have new display drivers as update just fails. Windows update took all day to download 200mb. You can't just leave it either, connection doesn't always restablish automatically.

Doing my head in.. Am going to try mobile broadband, fingers crossed 3 have H here.. Even gprs is quicker, and yes that is 2g Internet

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
You need to give more information.

ISP?
Router stats?
Router make and model?
Tried the BT test socket?

Soldato
Sounds like your connection is unstable from what you've posted so far. Provide more detail though. What's your attenuation and noise margin. What's your phone wiring like? What's it like in the test socket? You know, the usual questions everyone gets asked in here.

Caporegime
OP
Item Description

Product Name EchoLife HG520s

Physical Address 00:21:63:33:f3:42

Software Release V100R001B023 TT

Firmware Release 3.5.19.9-1.0.7.0

Batch Number RTC10P6

Release Date 2006/12/19 ADSL Description

ADSLState Show Time

Data Path Interleaved

Operation Mode G.dmt

Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 2176 / 448

SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 6.0 / 20.0

Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 55.5 / 31.5

Power Down/Up(dBm) 17.5 / 12.0

CRC Down/Up 78 / 1

FEC Down/Up 5415 / 0

HEC Down/Up 225 / 1

System Up Time 7:00:47

DSLUp Time 0:00:40

PVC Select PVC-0

PPP Up Time 0:00:39

Soldato
System uptime 7 hours. PPP uptime 40 seconds. It's unclear whether the errors are from the 40 seconds or from the 7 hours though.

So as I said before it looks like your line is unstable for some reason.

First thing you need to do is test in the test socket to eliminate any of your telephone wiring and equipment. Check with a different router too if possible. If the line is suddenly stable in the test socket then it's your wiring. If it isn't then it could be the BT wiring that is at fault.

Soldato
From what I've seen yes. Your noise margin is normal. Your attenuation is high but in line with your sync speed.

You have 78 CRC errors in either 7 hours (not a huge problem) or 40 seconds (a big problem). CRC are unrecoverable errors that force retransmission of packets.

Up to you how you proceed really.

What I'd do is monitor this connection with routerstats or routerstats lite to see if there is a pattern to the dropouts. I'd also listen to the line with a wired phone to see of there is an audible issue.

If you were to call out BT openreach and they determine the fault is on your side of the master socket then they'll charge you £120 or something. With this in mind you have to be confident the line is faulty. A dodgy modem, filter or something you overlooked Could be expensive.

If BT find no fault they won't charge you. If they do find a fault then they should fix it.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks buddy, looks like it is in 40 seconds, here's another sample, I have just rebooted it.

Item Description

Product Name EchoLife HG520s

Physical Address 00:21:63:33:f3:42

Software Release V100R001B023 TT

Firmware Release 3.5.19.9-1.0.7.0

RTC10P6

Batch Number

Release Date 2006/12/19 ADSL Description

ADSLState Show Time

Data Path Interleaved

Operation Mode G.dmt

1184 / 448

Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps)

SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 7.0 / 18.0

Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 57.0 / 31.5

Power Down/Up(dBm) 15.5 / 12.0

CRC Down/Up 137 / 4

10913 / 2

FEC Down/Up

HEC Down/Up 205 / 1

System Up Time 0:02:32

DSLUp Time 0:01:52

PVC Select PVC-0

PPP Up Time 0:01:51

Soldato
Provided you can be pretty sure the fault lies with the external line you won't incur the fee. That's mainly why I said monitor it and also try a different router/modem and the other things.

CRC and HEC or FEC(I forget which are bad) errors are unrecoverable and suggest deterioration of the DSL signal between you and the exchange. In my case it was water on the line that caused my CRC and the other errors, it was fixed free by BT Openreach .

Caporegime
OP
just thought id update this thread

here are my line speeds lol

1928525472.png

its not just the line, talktalk are doing some hardcore throttling, at times i can get 10x this speed, but its still intermittent, ie drop outs every 0-5 mins

I have decided to go with a new contract with 3 unlimited as atm i have a PAYG 3 SIM and this is what i am getting teathered

09Fng.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom