Please help decide. Is the new Microsoft surface good for programmers?

Associate
Hi, hope you guys can help me out.

I am a computer science student and need a new laptop for university and my freelacing work. Need a general use laptop but mainly would be for programming and some photoshop work as I am hobbist digital artist. I don’t game. I'm between the Surface Laptop (i7 and 8 Gb Ram) and the Macbook Pro 13 non touch (i7and 8 Gb Ram), which one would you recommend?

P.S: really got my eye on the surface laptop

Thank you

Soldato
We have a surface 4 in the house, very capable machine, has a premium feel and performs well.

Hardware support for Linux was crap last time I checked - but performance in a VM seems reasonable.

If your going to be doing a lot of programming you should grab a decent size second screen for your desk, I wouldn't want to do a lot of programming work on such a small device.

Associate
As someone who spent some time programming, I can tell you the one thing you really want more than anything is screen real-estate! From web pages to games to microprocessors, the various apps consume desktop space like you just wouldn't believe. Performance actually isn't that important ( unless you have a specific application that says otherwise ) but desktop space makes everything so much easier.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies. Much appreciated. Have decided to go for the 13inch macbook pro purely because I can boot windows on that as well should I need to with LG 4K external display for my desk

Back
Top Bottom