Please Help (Good Cause)

Associate
As this isn't a vote for my baby type thing and is actually a good cause then I'll support this and say that I've registered and voted. Took me a couple of minutes tops - I think youth centres and other such places should be encouraged as they get kids off the streets. All the best :)

Agree with this, I used to do youth work in Glasgow before moving to Holland, all the youth centers were getting tore down for housing/bringing in more families etc if they had funds to get repaired then they would probably have stayed open.

Last edited:
Associate
It doesn't really tell me enough about where the money is going. If 120 kids really go there every week then it would cost about 50p per parent to get a couple of new toilets and a couple of hours of time for one of them to fit them. Kitchen wouldn't be much more unless you're fitting underfloor heating and granite worktops. You could probably afford all of the renovations mentioned with a days 'bob a job' washing cars or doing gardens.

As a Scout Leader myself, I feel the need to comment on this. This Guide Hut looks as though it's in a deprived area (much like my own groups). Getting parents to help financially (for 99%) of the kids will be a nono. It's difficult getting weekly and termly subs from some parents, and putting subs up would put many of them off. Again, the same is true of getting people to volunteer their time, most parents simply won't do it and in a lot of cases, many of the parents are people that you wouldn't want to help - bearing in mind that to even get parental help in means potentially dozens of CRB forms, and weeks of waiting before you can even allow them to help.

Bob a job isn't as simple as it used to be. As well as needing supervision (which the leaders don't always have the time to do), you wouldn't necessarily get the uptake or interest from the kids, not to mention the fact that it has to be completely 'safe' for them - Not generally something you can guarantee in certain parts of cities.

Of course, there is a degree of supposition in this post, based on my own experiences, but sadly it just isn't as easy at it ought to be for a city youth group these days.

Back
Top Bottom