Please Help Me Solve My Long Lasting Stutter Problem

Associate
Hi guys. I've made similar threads on here in the past about issues regarding stuttering in my system.

Well a good few months back I completely upgraded my PC to a high end build.

GTX 4090, 7800x3D, 32gb TeamGroup DDR5 RAM. MSI 1000w PSU. If you need more specifics I can give you them. But as you can see, it should be more than capable.

Having spent so much money on this new build I've been left so disappointed with the performance mainly due to stutters in pretty much every game I try. It's really getting me down tbh. The overall FPS is great but the stutters and choppy gameplay is ruining it. Id rather have 60fps with no stutters.

The stutters are only little hitches, it'll go from say 180fps down to 173fps or something which makes a smaller stutter happen. It happens sort of every 30 seconds or so on average if I had to put a timer on it.

I play on a 1440p Alienware 280hz Monitor.

I've tried absolutely all sorts of fixes after searching the web for many hours. You've obviously got the main go to fixes like fresh Windows install, installing the graphics drivers through DDU etc. Tried XMP on/off - also tried dropping the MHz down to 5600. Gsync/Vsync on and off following the Blur Busters guide. Frame limiters. All sorts of Bios configurations and windows registry stuff. You name it I've probably tried it.

Temps seem absolutely fine when I've studied them so I don't think it's a throttling issue either.

I'm absolutely lost guys and ready to give up PC gaming all together at this point. None of my friends seem to have these issues.

If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful.

Cheers.

Last edited:
FPS drops around 5% will be common, but if you get micro stutter head to device manager and under sounds disable Nvidia hd audio, there is a bug which can cause the power cap in charge of audio on your GPU to pull too much power, the result is the card dropping power for a brief moment, most common on Asus GPUs but other makes can be affected.
Tried disabling that in the past and when I installed the new driver fresh I didn't even I stall that along with the graphics driver.

I find it difficult to believe that such a FPS dip is even noticeable.
It doesn't always happen but if I see a stutter I'll look at my FPS and it's only actually gone down 10fps sometimes. Obviously other times it drops more.

It even happens if I limit my FPS so it's at a steady 120 for example (uncapped I'd be getting well over 200). If it drops to say 117 it'll produce a stutter. It's really weird.

Last edited:
Just to be clear I don't have any issues with the FPS dipping at all. It could drop all the way down from 200 to 100 for all I cared if it didn't produce stutters.

Is it just 1 game or all games you play that produce the stutters?

Have you set high performance mode in windows power settings and max performance in Nvidia control panel?
Pretty much every game pal.

DayZ
PubG
Tarkov
Arena Breakout
Delta Hawk Ops
PGA 2k23
Arma Reforger

To name a few.

Yep, max power in both. Low Latency mode to Ultra etc.

Are those all on-line games?

Thought I saw heaven benchmark mentioned
But rereading the posts can't see it now
That's down to my dyslexic tendencies though
My brain doesn't always see/recognise all the words

If I didn't see it but thought I did lol
Then yes try a gpu benchmark that's offline

One game does this to me (warthunder)
No apparent fps drop but a stutter every 30 seconds or so
Restarting my pc usually stops it though

Other suggestions
Connect to a different monitor or tv
Try different hdmi/display port cable

In max power plan
Could also try increasing minimum cpu %
Just in case its cpu dipping not gpu
Even on max power plan my 5950x does jump around a bit in game
No worries mate! I'll do a heaven benchmark when I get home!

I've tried different cables.

I'll give the max power plan % a go. What did you set yours to?

All those games are online but even in tutorial sections of games where it's offline I still get the stutters.

That's a good point, if all the games are online, internet speed is key, if you have bad speed, high ping then fps stutters will be present, do you run wifi or a wired connection to your router @BeadyRoller?
Ping always seems pretty decent and speeds of 60mb. Not great but not terrible?

I'm wired straight in to router.

I have a similar pc to yours. 7800x3d, 4090 32gb ram and in Pubg I can be cruising at 165fps and then I feel a stutter and I check the fps and it’s 130 or around there. It doesn’t really bother me as it’s only for a second but it’s annoying when you feel it happen. My monitor is the Alienware aw34dwf which is only g sync compatible so maybe if it had a proper g sync module we wouldn’t feel the dips? Does your monitor have the g sync module?

I felt the same occasional stutter on my 14900k and ddr4 ram so my only guess is we need better g sync monitors to not notice the dips?

Hope my theory makes sense lol
I also gave an Alienware monitor aw2723df.

The problem is I had a monitor before this that had proper gsync and had same issue, thought it maybe a monitor issue but no.

I get much more stutters than an occasional one unfortunately. Every sort of 20 seconds there's a small stutter that's very noticeable.

I set cpu minimum state to 99%
I have different power plans for doing other stuff
Apart from gaming
So cpu can downclock on those plans when required
Definitely don't need it kicking out more heat
If it doesn't have to
Am already melting before even turned pc on today
Pretty ironic i moved south to escape Scottish weather
now i am complaining its too hot down south :cry:

Never realised tutorial sections of games were offline
Makes sense though

Yeah 60Mbs is very decent speed
Unless for some reason your upload speed is terrible
That should be way above required
Uploads probably 10--15 Mbs if it's standard fibre plan
Ran Heaven and GPU got to 64 degrees at hottest which is fine right?

There were quite a few stutters during the benchmark.

These are for the wrong brand of card, but some of the tips do apply.

Will give these a watch but I've watched so many of these in the past I don't have much hope.

Download GPUZ and take a screen shot of the sensor tab after playing a game, if you notice any kind of clock drop on the gpu either core/memory clocks, double check what the power of the card was at that point, all the readouts will line up in gpu-z so if the power keeps dropping then it could be a psu.

The next step is to download msi afterburner and set a custom power limit of 80%, and repeat the process, launch gpu-z and run a game to see if the stutters stop or see if the clocks on core or ram still drop off.

as an example, i had a freind that had a psu problem with a 4090 and this was his gpu-z screenshot

m8UNrTE.png

you can se the clocks keep dropping, power and voltage all drop at the same time which turned out to be a psu problem, it had gotten so bad we had to re-install windows as well as the psu swap

here is my gpu-z screenshot, i'm running a 4080s, but all cards want to look like this ideally

Mlrr53R.png

all tests above were conducted in destiny 2 at 4k 144hz

This is mine after 20 minutes of gaming. Notice anything wrong there?

I'd like to start by saying I'm not that great at this stuff but I would atleast like to mention this. At most it might take you half an hour to try it (including download time) but it could help.

The game to really diagnose this is Overwatch 2. It's free to play and on Steam.

Reason? It has a very useful feature called SIM. If you go into the practice range and do Ctrl + Shift + N

There is a lot of info that pops up that looks daunting but we are only interested in the top left numbers:
WH6BTq1.png

From memory, they are average value, max value and min value. On a perfect system with a capped fps (say 300) they should stay the same. If micro stutter happens then one of the values will increase substantially (and the graphs should also show it). Now it gets abit easier to diagnose the problem.

For me I was getting micro stutters with SIM values and it was fixed by disabling the Xbox Game Bar and the Discord in game overlay (User Settings > Game overlay > Switch off enable ingame overlay).

I have also seen weirdness with the geforce experience app enabled. Anyway just thought I would give something to try. None of the stuff mentioned likely won't do anything but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

It didn't seem to stutter at all on Overwatch training and most of the time the SIM was around 4-6 on all values but a few times them two orange bars shot up like in the picture.

Jesus 86ms is pretty bad. The most I saw was mid 30s. I doubt it's anything to do with an overlay then such as Discord.

Two ideas as a last ditch effort.

1: Granted I didn't read too much into all solutions already posted but maybe the PSU is sometimes running just outside of spec voltages? Have you run hwinfo64 and monitored the 12v and 5v rails while it happens?

2: Absolutely last ditch effort... as in only consider this if you're super desperate. I know you mentioned fresh Windows installs but did you try the really super stripped down "performance" versions such as AtlasOS

I think it only did that though cos I took a screenshot and something popped up on the screen. I'm not sure it reached them levels apart from that.

I'll take a look at hwinfo64 and see if I notice anything but I have to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking out for.

Haven't tried AtlasOS but I just don't see why I'd need to go to these extremes when I've spent this much money, it's ridiculous.

Do you have wallpaper engine or even windows set to change your desktop background every few minutes? @VeNT had a similar sounding issue maybe last year, although with a full AMD system and he'd set windows to change the desktop wallpaper every 10 minutes and this was causing a stutter while it did so.
I have read about this but as far as I know I just have a static wallpaper.

Back
Top Bottom