Please spec me a 6700k new build for £2500

Associate
Hi guys/girls

I'ts been a while since I last build a pc so I'm looking for help.

So far I have decided to go with a 6700k and 980ti with a xb271hu monitor. I may add an m2 ssd in the future, not interested in sli.

But I want the best system for my budget and that means asking for advice.

Cheers

Soldato
Hi

Here is a spec using the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe. The White psu won't be seen as the case has a psu cover. Have a look at the case section if you want something different.

A lot of the water coolers are out of stock or pre-order. The H105 is in stock though, and it is a good cooler. If you want something cheaper then you can always go with an air cooler.

The 650W psu is plenty for a single gpu setup.

The Samsung 850 EVO is a very good SSD. You won't really see much day to day performance difference going for an M.2 SSD such as the 950 PRO/SM 951.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,314.95
(includes shipping: £23.10)

Soldato
Agree. Unless you know that every program/game you use depends on the 670k's guaranteed clock speeds then they are pretty pointless.

Overclock a 5820k for sure.

I'm tied to itx and single core performance mainly myself so not frustrated by not being able to go ITX but if there more ITX mobos and with quad channel I would be tempted to move.

Associate
R

6700k has more cache and 4 faster cores, and performs better for games at the moment unless games are/going to use more than 4 cores which, I think there is none atm. (why everyone suggest an i5 for just gaming).

Directx 12 is going to be optimised for less cpu power and more gpu power, so the extra 2 cores seem pointless for me unless you was doing software like CAD and heavy rendering.

Even though 6700k only just edges the 5820k for games, the extra cores may 'future proof' your system.

However you need to ask your self do you want any of the motherboard functions that the Z170 offers?

I myself went for a similar priced build, decided the 6700k would be better for me as it is ridiculously fast at paying games whilst having multiple browser windows open across several displays and I would like the features Z170 offered.

Associate
6700k has more cache and 4 faster cores, and performs better for games at the moment unless games are/going to use more than 4 cores which, I think there is none atm. (why everyone suggest an i5 for just gaming).

Not ONE test proves this to be true. Especially the game bit. The 5820 is basically the more improved version lol.

Associate
OP
Why would the 5820 be a better choice?

It has more cores, but does it represent better value? It's been a while since I built a gaming pc.

Back
Top Bottom