1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please spec me a good quality QUIET PSU.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by OverDrive, Oct 29, 2018.

1. OverDrive

Gangster

Hi guys,

I want to start to get components together for my next build which will likely be a 9900K, 2700X, or the upcoming Ryzen 3000/7nm. I will be using a single GPU, likely a RTX 2070/2080.

I would like to go for a good quality unit, my preference would be a Seasonic 750w or 850w unit. Perhaps gold rated. However, I am open to other manufacturers.

I would like it to have a quiet profile as my PC is also connected to my Hi-Fi system. I don't mind it making fan noise when the hardware is working though, just not when the PC is idle playing music files.

Thanks.

2. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Either of these would be my choice. All are fully modular, gold rated and have 10 year warranties. The Antec's are built by Seasonic and are basically a Focus Plus Gold in a different case.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

An alternative at the 850w level is the new Phanteks Revolt Pro. These are also built by Seasonic, are gold rated, fully modular and have a 12 year warranty. The downside is that they are on pre-order.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    [​IMG]

3. Robzere31

Mobster

I've been very impressed with my Seasonic this past year since owning it.
    Quiet ie cannot hear it even when gaming, compact size, & plenty of power when needed.
    Build quality is excellent too.

4. OverDrive

Gangster

Thank you for the replies.

This looks like a nice unit, I am actually going to build using the Phanteks Evolv X case. Aside from the two extra years on the warranty, are there any other advantages?

I really like the look of the Seasonic Focus Plus units too, I guess these have been proven as they have been out for a while.

Do you have the Focus Plus?

My current PSU is 650w, so was thinking of moving up to a 750w unit minimum. Should I cosider the 850w too?

Thank you again :)

5. Robzere31

Mobster

6. JasonM

Wise Guy

I just did a quick google on peak wattage, your looking at around 170w for the i9900k including motherboard and around 270w for a RTX 280. So the Seasonic 750w will do you fine.

Make sure you get a Gold or Platinum Seasonic, they are so quite you will not hear the fan and certainly not hear it over CPU and GPU fans, whatever you do don't get a bronze as they are noisy!

The Seasonic PSU's are very high quality, I own so many of them here, I have them in home servers running 24/7, have them on my home workstations. Best thing they give really stable voltage output so you can under-volt or overclock more then the cheaper PSU's.

Have no connection to Seasonic other then I use them, say exactly the same about Western Digital HDD's and Kingston memory.

7. silent

Wise Guy

i have been using riotoro PSu's recently, made by seasonic. the enigma, gold rated, modular, has a 10 yr warranty to back it up and its very quiet. not available on OCUK though. well worth it!

8. AmateurExpert

Gangster

I have three Seasonic Focus Plus Platinums (650W to 850W) and they're all great; no coil whine or fan noise whether in a case or open air, and they remain extremely quiet at a sustained 60% load. I haven't run higher loads so don't know if fan noise becomes noticeable at any point.

9. ExoMale

Mobster

unless they all have the option, then look for one with 'eco' mode i think its called, while my supernova gs 550w isnt a recent one it has the eco like switch and its never spun once in well over a year, so nice and quiet or get a fanless one.