1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plex Server, NAS vs Nvidia Shield Pro

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by robj20, Jun 4, 2020.

1. robj20

Sgarrista

Hope this is the right section.
    Is the Nvidia Shield a good option for a plex server or is it better to use a NAS im looking at the Qnap 453D has a celeran J4125 CPU.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Nemesis379

Wise Guy

I've looked at NAS's but for the price you pay, an UnRaid plex server is soo much cheaper for a lot more power.

If you are not fussed about spending money and want a "set it and forget it" then go for QNAP or Synology, otherwise I'd recommend UnRaid.

3. Scort

Mobster

I have the older 16GB Shield running PMS with ~6TB of media (USB drive and a NAS) and to work flawlessly.

4. kidloco

Mobster

Echo'd here as well. Its the only reason I kept hold of my launch 16gb Shield after recently getting a Vero 4k+.

[​IMG]

Works great and means I don't have to have it running off the PC. I only use Plex as the wife and kids find it easier to use than Kodi which I use. (no native TV app)

5. robj20

Sgarrista

After the wife saying she wants simplicity i got the NAS, plenty fast enough, i can overload it, had every firestick and every phone streaming and it was doing it with ease.
    Bonus is it has Pi-hole built in so a quick DNS redirect and thats working as well.
    Means going forward i only need the cheaper none Pro shields to replace the really old slow firesticks.