Plusnet hub replacement

Soldato
OP
I want two 5ghz networks. Not sure if that's possible on this budget? I may have to up it a bit.

I've no idea about ADSL or VDSL. I've had a quick search through my router settings and can't find an answer unfortunately.

Soldato
I want two 5ghz networks. Not sure if that's possible on this budget? I may have to up it a bit.

I've no idea about ADSL or VDSL. I've had a quick search through my router settings and can't find an answer unfortunately.

Who is your ISP and what package are you on: name, ‘up to / average’ speed?

Soldato
If it’s just WiFi issues then turn it off on the Plusnet hub and buy a Ubiquiti UAP for about £80 and use that for WiFi. It offers 4 SSIDs and you can rate limit on each. Should do what you want.

Soldato
What do Plusnet support say about dropping the connection? I’d hate for you to spend money unnecessarily if it isn’t a router issue or they can give you a free replacement if it is faulty.

Soldato
OP
I haven't questioned them yet. I've always blamed the amp for the connection issue. It wasn't until I ran out of ideas with it, that I rebooted the router and it's now working again.
I've had the issue with it for around 6 months, never thought about the router being the problem.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like the AP is the way to go then. I haven't looked yet, but can an AP connect to the router wirelessly? (is that a word?) That way it could be mounted in a central place of the hose without having to feed wires.

I'll attempt to talk to Plusnet tomorrow and seek advice about the connectivity issues.

I suppose I was hoping everyone was going to say the standard hub is crap and offer a list of upgrades :)

Soldato
AP connects to the router via a wire unfortunately.

You could go with a mesh system that talk to each other wirelessly. The only one I know for under £100 is made by Tenda and I don’t know how good it is or if it will do the multi SSID you want.

Soldato
Well yes and no. Although dependent on the type of AP, they are typically designed to be ceiling mounted somewhere centrally in a building. It is as much as the ability to move the AP to somewhere away from the telephone socket as the AP itself that tends to improve performance. Many people have had success with them just mounted on or under desks but I still think you're better off to consider if you can run an ethernet cable to somewhere central and mount it as it was designed.

Soldato
I would have thought you would be able to deal with your daughters access control via in built features rather than having to do a separate SSID.

You would be better using all the possible antenna on one for maximum bandwidth and reduced interference on a single network. It also makes things like content sharing easier.

On a decent router you can normally restrict access time via the MAC address.

You could also do it the old fashioned way. ;)

Soldato
OP
Trouble is, she has a firestick, ipod touch, and has access to my mrs ipad.

I could put a guard on the router, but than anything else connected is limited which is a pain.

I thought the sepeate child friendly SSID would be the easiest way to go, but not too sure now.

She streams movies and audio books from my PC to her firestick using plex, so this could be an issue with two different networks.

Soldato
Different SSID doesn’t have to mean different networks. If the same DHCP server (your router) is doing the allocations everything will talk to each other, but checking if your existing router has features you can exploit to achieve what you want then that is a sensible starting point.

Back
Top Bottom