PlusNet issues.. Advise wanted

Soldato
I have been on plusnet for a over 3 years now, generally with a fairly exceptional level of service and stability. But recently i have been getting a limited or slow connection throughout the day.. For example i am currently getting (according to Speedtest.net):

Ping: 12ms
Down: 4.43Mbps
Up: 7.5Mbps

I used to get a pretty consistent 25-30Mbps which was about the max for my area. But the strangest thing is my upload is better than my download! which instantly worries me.

According to my router my current VDSL connection stats are:

SNR Margin
DOWN: 6.0 dB
UP: 15.8 dB
Line Attenuation
DOWN: 6.5 dB
UP: 3.8 dB
Path Mode
DOWN: FastPath
UP: FastPath
Interleave Depth
DOWN: 1
UP: 1
Data Rate
DOWN: 79997 kbps
UP: 19999 kbps
MAX Rate
DOWN: 97528 kbps
UP: 35008 kbps
POWER
DOWN: 3.4 dbm
UP: 3.4 dbm

So it appears my router has a healthy connection on the VDSL of 80Mbps DOWN, i i dont suspect my ADSL line is problematic.. so i am scratching my head as to where the problem may lie? I have tried conneting directly via LAN and Wireless and all suffer. Ive also disconnected all other devices to test and i am connected directly to the Master socket as suggested.

Any ideas? Do PlusNet randomly throttle connections at peak times as i always thought that wasn't the case?

Soldato
I really don't understand these threads!

Your VDSL is fine, rather than waiting for 20 different wives tales of what worked for someone else, why not just contact the ISP as they ultimately have control of this?

Sorry if that sounds harsh but this forum can't make changes like your ISP can.

Associate
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

go there do the test and then after go to further diagnostics and see what that tells you. Should give you your expected download speed. Copy the details and open a question in plusnet support and paste the details there with explanation of your complaint and let them deal with it...or alternatively ring up support and tell them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found logging into thier website and raising a support ticket is the best way of communicating with them. The phone support can be busy..
Just raise a ticket stating the above and ask them to run some tests from thier end.

Associate
What is the uptime on the router as if it has an uptime that equated to around when this started as I'm not sure if that data is exact to the line or just shows the maximum as I had an issue recently where my download speed dropped significantly and it turned out it was an issue with the copper line part at the cabinet.

You should have raised this on the plusnet community forum as the official helpers there work for plusnet and will do tests on the line and raise support tickets if such an action is required or may ask you to do further checks at your end to rule out anything else (most likely what the support staff would do if you directly submitted a support ticket).

Back
Top Bottom