Poached eggs advice!

Man of Honour
I'm terrible at poached eggs. I'm going to try the shallow water method though - haven't tried that one.

Sous-vide eggs tend to be pretty awesome without me having to learn a new trick so...

Soldato
People need to read the definition of poaching. Cling film or anything else between the egg and water means your not poaching. May as well just do a boiled egg.

Last edited:
Soldato
People need to read the definition of poaching. Doing film or anything else between the egg and water means your not poaching. May as well just do a boiled egg.

poachies said:
Egg-Poaching Bags are a brilliant new invention. They allow water to contact the egg, without the raw egg leaking into the water.

After a few minutes your delicious poached egg slides out easily using no butter or oil. So you get proper water-poached eggs perfect first time. Every time.

Satisfied?

Soldato
turn the heat down just before you put them in, stops the violent bubbling and they will be spot on

This is the secret, should be at a boil but not a roaring boil. Then, once you've cracked it in continue to gently swirl the water to get the white to wrap around the yolk.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
I fill a large suacepan with water, dash of vinegar, place on hob and turn heat up to max.
Crack the eggs in to small bowls.
When the water is just starting to boil, slowly lower the eggs in and leave the heat on for 20 seconds.
At this point put turn the hob off and put bread in the toaster for 3 minutes, once the toast is done, take it out and butter it.
Now remove your poached eggs and place on to said buttered toast (or bagel). Perfect every time (done 100's this way!)

Soldato
I have tried a few things some messy some not so much.

Found the best way is swirling the water and using fresh eggs, you do lose a bit of white but it works ok.

However we now just use one of them poachers where u put boiling in the bottom and put the egg in the little cup thing, stick the lid on and hey presto.

Soldato
Tried the shallow frying pan method this morning.

Can't say it was any better than the deep pan I used a couple of days ago. A little worse in the respect that the eggs stuck to the pan a little, and the tops didn't quite get submerged.

Still tasted pretty good, though. Had it with smoked, peppered mackerel fillets and, controversially, a couple of potato waffles cooked in the toaster (usually have potato cakes, but Asda didn't have any, so though I would try the Birdseye route - was actually alright)

Soldato
If the eggs are sticking to the bottom then I'd suggest having a bit more water in the pan and adding the eggs from a cup rather than cracking straight into the water so that the gap between the top of the water and the egg is less.

But of course if you like your current method then stick with it, it's all about personal preference.

Soldato
I find it easiest to do poached eggs in a frying/saute pan with a large flat slotted spoon.

Add a splash of vinegar to the water and get it to a very gentle rolling boil. Crack eggs into a cup (no more than 2 at a time) then gently dip into the water and just leave them be.

Love a poached egg so i've mastered it on my own cooker now!

Back
Top Bottom