POE camera question

Soldato
Hey,

So my current CCTV box with a crappy camera monitoring outside the front garden/car has died,Im looking to replace it with ideally a 1080p or 2k camera setup thats POE.

Now my question is..can i just buy a POE camera,hook it up to a Switch and then have a cheap pc in the garage act as a server to store the media on/view?

Also what about remote viewing into this cheap pc is it as simple as connecting a wifi dongle and connecting to my network?

i cant connect the cheap pc in the garage to hard wire...too far from my main router/vm hub.

appreciate the response. :)

Soldato
Hey,

So my current CCTV box with a crappy camera monitoring outside the front garden/car has died,Im looking to replace it with ideally a 1080p or 2k camera setup thats POE.

Now my question is..can i just buy a POE camera,hook it up to a Switch and then have a cheap pc in the garage act as a server to store the media on/view?

Also what about remote viewing into this cheap pc is it as simple as connecting a wifi dongle and connecting to my network?

i cant connect the cheap pc in the garage to hard wire...too far from my main router/vm hub.

appreciate the response. :)
Can I ask why you think you require a server? Plenty of camera's save to sd card or to cloud.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies all :)

Can I ask why you think you require a server? Plenty of camera's save to sd card or to cloud.
Well,I've come across those ones with the SD card and im not keen on the idea of having to go up a ladder and pull the SD card out should i need the footage,Or do i really fancy taking out a subscription to some cloud service.
Especially when i have a ton of 1TB hard drives knocking about and also spare mobos etc.
My Hikvision stores months on an SD card.
Are you able to access the data on the SD card via wifi or something or have to pull the SD card out the camera?

Associate
Although many cameras can use SD cards for storage or cloud, I would never let any camera have internet access or access to anything else on my network. Plus as we've got many cameras inside and out the idea of cloud storage is a no go (even Ubiquiti had an issue this year where some people could see other peoples network/CCTV etc)

My Hikvision cameras each write between 1.5 and 2.5TB per month so for me a local server is the way to go on all fronts.

Associate

Well,I've come across those ones with the SD card and im not keen on the idea of having to go up a ladder and pull the SD card out should i need the footage,Or do i really fancy taking out a subscription to some cloud service.
Especially when i have a ton of 1TB hard drives knocking about and also spare mobos etc.

Are you able to access the data on the SD card via wifi or something or have to pull the SD card out the camera?
Via a slightly janky but useable app and web portal/site/thing.

Soldato
OP
Although many cameras can use SD cards for storage or cloud, I would never let any camera have internet access or access to anything else on my network. Plus as we've got many cameras inside and out the idea of cloud storage is a no go (even Ubiquiti had an issue this year where some people could see other peoples network/CCTV etc)

My Hikvision cameras each write between 1.5 and 2.5TB per month so for me a local server is the way to go on all fronts.
This is my concern,I mean its only recording the front drive/car but still.
Via a slightly janky but useable app and web portal/site/thing.
just got visions of log in issues,dodgy app etc haha,Although something to consider i guess if i want to go a simpler route of not having a make shift server etc on the run 24/7.
it would only be a low powered system and on in the garage anyway so wouldn't bother me.

Soldato

Yes, as they're connected to your network then you can view any recordings from an app or just a Web browser using it's ip address.

Nothing dodgy at all...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, as they're connected to your network then you can view any recordings from an app or just a Web browser using it's ip address.

Nothing dodgy at all...

The RLC-520A model on their website looks like it would be ideal,as its more in my price range,But the issue is i dont have ethernet connection for it in the garage.

This is why i was looking for more of a standalone POE camera which i can connect to a POE switch and then directly into a cheap PC in the garage with no internet connection at all..i could just watch/store the data on that (if that makes sense).

Associate
This is why i was looking for more of a standalone POE camera which i can connect to a POE switch and then directly into a cheap PC in the garage with no internet connection at all..i could just watch/store the data on that (if that makes sense).
Fine as long as you ok with only being able to access the recordings at home (within the lan). If you do need remote access then run Wireguard running on a compatible router or a Raspberry Pi.

Soldato
OP
Fine as long as you ok with only being able to access the recordings at home (within the lan). If you do need remote access then run Wireguard running on a compatible router or a Raspberry Pi.
Yeah pretty much,its only for if anything happens to the car on the drive..wouldn't stop them just proof.
Should mostly all POE cameras work like this or do you think some brands are locked down to only work with their specific NVR/DVR brand?

Soldato
The RLC-520A model on their website looks like it would be ideal,as its more in my price range,But the issue is i dont have ethernet connection for it in the garage.

If your garage has power, which it must have, so a powerline would do it or a wifi extender. The camera needs a ip address so you'd need to configure your pc as a dhcp server if you went that route. As far as I'm concerned going out to your garage just to access recordings is as bad as going into a loft.
I think your are taking a route that is more 'fussy' and not one I'd choose atl.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If your garage has power, which it must have, so a powerline would do it or a wifi extender. The camera needs a ip address so you'd need to configure your pc as a dhcp server if you went that route. As far as I'm concerned going out to your garage just to access recordings is as bad as going into a loft.
I think your are taking a route that is more 'fussy' and not one I'd choose atl.
Of course,Our garage is attached to the side of the house (door straight into it at the side of the house) and its more of a "Utility room" than a garage all done out with carpet,painted etc...so its not like i have to go outside of the house to access it.

The car sits in front of the garage which is why its an ideal place for the camera to be mounted upon.
Hmmm choices choices.

Soldato
Of course,Our garage is attached to the side of the house (door straight into it at the side of the house) and its more of a "Utility room" than a garage all done out with carpet,painted etc...so its not like i have to go outside of the house to access it.

The car sits in front of the garage which is why its an ideal place for the camera to be mounted upon.
Hmmm choices choices.
If the garage is that close have you considered a battery powered wifi camera with a solar panel? Mine work very well
Would a doorbell video camera be a better option?

Soldato
Late to the conversation, but I can share my CCTV setup. I started out with two Reolink units and built up as need & funds developed.
Currently have 5 POE cameras,
2x Bullet RLC-510A
2x Dome RLC-520
1x PTZ RLC-823A

And an EZ-Viz DB2 hardwired doorbell, with the WiFi Chime.

I bought an 11 port Yuanley POE switch which powers the 5 cameras, via outdoor rated Cat5e and 2 WiFi 6 access points via indoor Cat6 (upstairs/downstairs).

Originally I put 250Gb micro SD cards in the first two cameras, which allowed me to access footage (approx 10 days worth, before re-writing) whilst I worked on the house before we moved in. The app is reasonably smooth, although looking at recordings takes a fair while to queue up.

When I added the other two cameras (each corner of the end of terrace house), I got a great deal on a Uniview NVR (NVR301-08X-P8) 8 channels, up to 8MP, with a 4Tb Seagate Skyhawk drive for just under £180.

It took a fair amount of fiddling to get the NVR to recognise the Reolink cameras, but I managed to figure out that each camera needed a manually-assigned IP (they default to the same IP on start-up), which was best done on my PC, connecting each camera to the Poe switch in turn, logging in via my browser, changing the settings, then disconnecting before installing them where needed.

The NVR is brilliant - can use AI search terms, vehicle/number plate recognition, etc. Playback is smooth and when I added another 4Tb Skyhawk drive, I get approx 6 weeks of full resolution footage, with sound.

I added the 8MP PTZ camera after our next-door neighbours got burgled - the cameras overlooking our garden & rear entrance caught the movement, but not in sufficient detail to be of any use to the police. Another neighbour had their car broken into, which was parked behind ours. Again, the 5MP bullet caught the incident, but without enough details to be helpful.

The 823A is mounted on the external rear corner of our house, usually set to monitor our car, but I've set trigger zones on the NVR: if the garden or front cameras catch anything suspicious (human-shaped), then the NVR tells the PTZ camera to move and light it up, recording in the higher resolution.

The system works really well, considering it was put together with very basic knowledge. I still kept the 250Gb SD cards in the front & rear cameras, as it's easy to just pull a quick 30 seconds of footage via the Reolink app, rather than logging into the NVR and downloading the much higher resolution recordings.

We will at some point swap the doorbell for the new POE Relink version, so all footage can be stored on the NVR, but for now it works well for our needs.

Back
Top Bottom