Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

Soldato
Yes, I have seen the clip of the civilian being dragged off, the terrorist was pinned down with him on top, the police could easily have shot him in the head at point blank range if they considered a threat to life. Messy, but letting the guy get up as an alternative?
That's absolutely insane, discharging firearms in the direction of civilians. Think about what you're suggesting and the consequences if someone moves as the shot is being taken.

Besides which, they didn't let him get up did they? He tried but he remained very much on the floor.

Soldato
That's absolutely insane, discharging firearms in the direction of civilians. Think about what you're suggesting and the consequences if someone moves as the shot is being taken.

Besides which, they didn't let him get up did they? He tried but he remained very much on the floor.

This a million times, a gun is not a laser nor does the bullet just stop after entering the body.

A clear firing zone is the first thing your taught when fmbeing trained with firearms at least in the army it was.

Roe often states that a target cannot be engaged if there is a risk to civilians, I assume the police is similar or higher.

Associate
They shot him as they didn't want any loose ends :D

In all seriousness though, I wonder how the police officer is dealing with killing this bloke after finding out the vest was a fake?
I know he will be highly trained and skilled, but he's human too, and have feelings, so despite doing his job of protecting everyone, I wonder if it will effect him negatively? Or knowing how the country is going, if he will get sacked?

Caporegime
Yes, I have seen the clip of the civilian being dragged off, the terrorist was pinned down with him on top, the police could easily have shot him in the head at point blank range if they considered a threat to life. Messy, but letting the guy get up as an alternative?

I'm sorry you were arguing against the police shooting him and now you want them to shoot him at point blank range?

Theres a significant risk of a point blank shots, bullets will ricochet wildly. I dont think any force trains point blank shots.

Soldato
I'm sorry you were arguing against the police shooting him and now you want them to shoot him at point blank range?

Theres a significant risk of a point blank shots, bullets will ricochet wildly. I dont think any force trains point blank shots.
You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Don
No. Either he was an immediate threat and they believed he was a potential suicide bomber in which case why allow him to get into the position where he could detonate it, or they didn't in which case why would they allow him become unrestrained?

People are talking about protecting civilians, in that case they took a massive risk allowing this guy to become unrestrained. Maybe after de Menezes their policy changed to take those sort of risks rather than the shoot first ask questions later policy they used back then.

Soldato
I can't believe anyone is arguing about the what the Police did. They put their lives at risk and had seconds to make a decision. I'm sure they would do the same thing if it happens again. Only in the UK could this be the topic of conversation after two innocent people have just been murdered. (not just talking about here, this same argument is raging on social media as well :rolleyes:).

Soldato

Agreed, looks like the Police are using Sig Saur rifles & 5.56mm, and at 2,500ft/s that's a lot of energy to ricochet. Even with people jumping off the attacker there was still a danger of collateral damage at that range.

They earned their money today, fast reaction, adrenaline, risk of explosion, risk to the public, risk of prosecution. Not many armchair experts would qualify for that role or would take it on.

Soldato
No. Either he was an immediate threat and they believed he was a potential suicide bomber in which case why allow him to get into the position where he could detonate it, or they didn't in which case why would they allow him become unrestrained?

People are talking about protecting civilians, in that case they took a massive risk allowing this guy to become unrestrained. Maybe after de Menezes their policy changed to take those sort of risks rather than the shoot first ask questions later policy they used back then.

What do you think the police should have done?

Associate
On the other hand, kids have been stabbing each other for years in London and the powers that be not giving a damn, now a "terrorist" stabs some people, (and anyone getting stabbed is a bad thing) now the government cares!?

Soldato
On the other hand, kids have been stabbing each other for years in London and the powers that be not giving a damn, now a "terrorist" stabs some people, (and anyone getting stabbed is a bad thing) now the government cares!?

Hint they were poor kids in poor areas.

This is a rich area, where tourist visit regularly.

Ever notice how things only change when it starts effecting parliament

Permabanned
Sounds pretty sensible to be fair. Still gotta deal with the bomb at some point though I guess.

Actually there's a thing.... what happens if he was holding a detonator in his hand and when he was shot up close it would have went off. That police officer put the lives of everyone around him at a great risk. Surely he would have thought about this before shooting him.

Soldato
Good point, I guess its bad for business.
Oh yes, plenty of people now questioning whether to go into big towns this Christmas.

Tbh more people die in cars every day but for some reason the pure violence of this seems to shock people. Atleast with stabbing you can reason that the person was selected for a reason, gang related, area or colour of skin etc.

Soldato
They shot him as they didn't want any loose ends :D

In all seriousness though, I wonder how the police officer is dealing with killing this bloke after finding out the vest was a fake?
I know he will be highly trained and skilled, but he's human too, and have feelings, so despite doing his job of protecting everyone, I wonder if it will effect him negatively? Or knowing how the country is going, if he will get sacked?
How would you feel?
People were stabbed, people died. That alone IMO is enough to warrant shooting to kill. He could never have known the vest was fake but you have to assume for your own life and others that it was real. That aside, I wonder if they're instructed anyway....

Soldato
Cuffed the guy when he was restrained *shrug*.
I hear getting a few officers up close and personal to handcuff the guy is lesson 1 in how to deal with potential suicide bombers, I'm amazed they didn't do that.

Much safer than evacuating civilians and controlling from a distance with a firearms team.

Back
Top Bottom