Police Speed Guns

Associate
Sorry about another speed camera thread, but I'm sure someone here knows this.

What are the laws on police cars using laser guns / radar things to catch motorists speeding? Does there need to be signs before where the police car is? And to prosecute, do they have to "do" you there and then?

I was doing about 42 in a 40 today when i notice a police car covertly parked in an opening at the side of the road - will that be alright, or do I have to watch the letterbox for the next 2 weeks? :(

Thanks!

:)

VTR

VTR

Soldato
You'll be fine at that speed, if it was 42mph indicated on the speedo you may well have been doing under 40mph anyway as they're not always accurate. It's very unlikely they'd do you for 42mph anyway.

Associate
I don't know the answer to your question about the legalities, but whatever they are, you wouldn't be charged for breaking the speed limit by 2mph.

Associate
I have always believed that if it was a cop car with officers using a speed gun they would have to stop you to issue you with any penalty? Thot it was only camera vans/fixed speed traps that issued N.I.P's?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was always believed that if it was a cop car with officers using a speed gun they would have to stop you to issue you with any penalty?

Im not sure this is the case. I have a feeling I was got by one last week, wasnt pulled over at the time. I hope your right though.

Don
jamesrw said:
S

What are the laws on police cars using laser guns / radar things to catch motorists speeding? Does there need to be signs before where the police car is? And to prosecute, do they have to "do" you there and then?

:)

No and no

some forces do use signs but they don't have to

they don't have to pull you up , if it's a hand held then generally the will , if it's a van the usually they won't

If your speedo was reading 42 in a 40 the it is highly unlikely that you have anything to worry about

Back
Top Bottom