Poll: Poll: Do you use FileVault on your Apple MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air?

Do you use FileVault on your Apple laptop?

• Yes

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
Commissario
It's not so important on a desktop because it's less likely to be lost or stolen but I wonder if you fine people out there in OcUK land have enabled FileVault on your laptop?

I obviously hope that nobody is going to pinch my MacBook but I set up FileVault as soon as I got it. It just seemed the right thing to do.

If you don't, is this a decision you've made specifically or have you just never bothered to enable it?

Associate
I haven't yet, but I still haven't decided whether I'm keeping the machine (I'm in the first 2 weeks, return no questions asked period).

if I keep it, then I will do I think. Shouldn't be much of a performance hit with the T2 chip.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

No, I've read too many stories about the flashing question mark of doom after the logic board has died and the system won't boot from the encrypted SSD.

Commissario
OP
No, I've read too many stories about the flashing question mark of doom after the logic board has died and the system won't boot from the encrypted SSD.
In over ten years of Mac ownership, I've never even heard of the flashing question mark of doom!

But that's what backups are for, right?

Soldato
I always enable FileVault on all my Macs and encrypt the Time Machine backups.

I have multiple backups of key data both in the cloud and local. My Macs are for my business and depending on the project/role I may have access to prod passwords so in the event of a theft I would want to happy that I had taken all reasonable steps to protect the data as well recover and continue my business.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

In over ten years of Mac ownership, I've never even heard of the flashing question mark of doom!

But that's what backups are for, right?
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204323

All my data is stored on a NAS with disk parity and which is backed up to the cloud. I wouldn't lose any data if the boot drive died, but I can see the use case for business laptops.

My work laptop (Dell) is boot encrypted but then there's a lot of sensitive info on there, so is justified.

Soldato
I don't have it enabled on mine and never bothered because of potential performance drops though I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with SSDs. I know my old work laptops with mech HDs ran like an absolute dog with Bitlocker enabled (or perhaps that was just my company's OS image and the junk they installed), but my latest one with an SSD is fine with Bitlocker.

I guess the Macs would be fine with FileVault but can anyone confirm whether or not there is any possible performance decrease from doing so? If not then I may as well enable it on mine.

Soldato
I guess the Macs would be fine with FileVault but can anyone confirm whether or not there is any possible performance decrease from doing so? If not then I may as well enable it on mine.

There will be a performances impact with FileVault enabled compared to it disablesd as there is a cost to encrypting/decrypting.

However, on my 2014 Mac Mini and late 2018 MBP I can’t say I have seen any noticeable impact.

Soldato
Just switched it on myself on my 2018 MBP and it indeed just enabled immediately, that's good because I expected a bit of a wait there.

Soldato
I always feared the performance impact but had never thought about the T2 chip on my 2018 MBP. As it’s already encrypted I may as well switch FileVault on now for a little more protection with no cost.

Back
Top Bottom