• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Ordered my XS Max 256gb space grey today direct from Apple (mates rates) and an apple leather case!

Cannot wait for tomorrow...no doubt should be a substantial upgrade to my iPhone 6 128gb!

I went from iPhone 6 64G to XR 64G.

The biggest thing I had to get used to is the Home button or lack of but i got over that very quickly. NFC/Apple Pay is a little different. Now you have to double click the power button to trigger the wallet before putting it on the machine and due to the notch, you need to pull down the top right corner to see the battery percentage.

The best thing about is the battery, it is amazing, 2 day phone for me. i bought an Anker wireless charger for my desk, 30mins bump can give a full day use.

Soldato
I went from iPhone 6 64G to XR 64G.

The biggest thing I had to get used to is the Home button or lack of but i got over that very quickly. NFC/Apple Pay is a little different. Now you have to double click the power button to trigger the wallet before putting it on the machine and due to the notch, you need to pull down the top right corner to see the battery percentage.

The best thing about is the battery, it is amazing, 2 day phone for me. i bought an Anker wireless charger for my desk, 30mins bump can give a full day use.

Some good advice there :)

The battery on the XR is meant to be the best of all of them...if mine lasts the entire day without a need for a charge I shall be happy!

Caporegime
Some good advice there :)

The battery on the XR is meant to be the best of all of them...if mine lasts the entire day without a need for a charge I shall be happy!

One tip, because the battery is so good and I recall a video from Linus Tech Tips on how to keep the battery in the best condition. You basically want to keep the charge between 20-80% range. Try to avoid killing it totally and filled it max. Now and again is fine but not daily.

Also, to wake the phone is just a tap on the glass, anywhere. That bit is nice.

Another thing I like is that because Face ID has been out a year, most if not all the banking apps now support it.

Soldato
You basically want to keep the charge between 20-80% range.

I would personally say that the hassle of keeping an eye on the battery level to ensure it's between 20 and 80 percent is outweighed by the minimal difference it will actually make doing this.

The main thing you want to do is avoid heat - wireless & fast charging will produce more heat for the battery, so when charging overnight, it's better to use the 5W charger. Lithium based batteries should also reject current when they're 100%.

(Snip)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've paid no notice to how I charge my now 14 month old X and the battery health is 91%. I charge it wirelessy pretty much every evening and I fast charge it when I need.

Soldato
Surely more current equals more heat. That’s a bit contradictory.

That's what I always thought, but upon checking, the Dash charge solution, like other similar ones by OPPO, use a higher current and lower voltage, and produce lower heat overall.

Though, this could be correlation, not causation.

I guess it could be due to moving the controller into the charger, rather than the battery, and perhaps better circuitry?

I'll just remove that part :p

I've paid no notice to how I charge my now 14 month old X and the battery health is 91%. I charge it wirelessy pretty much every evening and I fast charge it when I need.

The biggest killer for a battery is cycles - the heat etc makes minimal difference overall, but I was just pointing out it makes a larger difference than the 30 - 80% stuff.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that sealed batteries suck.

Caporegime
That's what I always thought, but upon checking, the Dash charge solution, like other similar ones by OPPO, use a higher current and lower voltage, and produce lower heat overall.

Though, this could be correlation, not causation.

I guess it could be due to moving the controller into the charger, rather than the battery, and perhaps better circuitry?

I'll just remove that part :p

I agree that slower charge is best, not sure about the other part though.

Either way, I’ve not killed it yet, at best I got it down to 49%.

Soldato
I agree that slower charge is best, not sure about the other part though.

Either way, I’ve not killed it yet, at best I got it down to 49%.

Just avoid anything that produces too much heat - batteries don't like heat, and less efficient charging methods can produce more heat. The new Pixel 3s, for example, have had heat issues when wireless charging.

Feels like we're discussing OLED problems :p

Faffy technology sucks.

Caporegime
Just avoid anything that produces too much heat - batteries don't like heat, and less efficient charging methods can produce more heat. The new Pixel 3s, for example, have had heat issues when wireless charging.

Feels like we're discussing OLED problems :p

Faffy technology sucks.

Speaking of charger, if you want fast charging, better buy one because there isn't one in the box lol

I bought an Anker one, just powerful enough to charge my MBP too (or I could use my MBP's instead) but its good to have more than 1.

Soldato
Speaking of charger, if you want fast charging, better buy one because there isn't one in the box lol

I bought an Anker one, just powerful enough to charge my MBP too (or I could use my MBP's instead) but its good to have more than 1.

The Anker ones are good - the PowerIQ stuff they do is the quickest charging I've achieved outside of getting a USB C PD capable charger and official lightning to USB C cable

Soldato
Received my replacement XS Max today from the Black Friday deals. Much happier now as the screen is perfect. Still gobsmacked that the deal was so good! :) loving the phone as well, Face ID is amazing and I don’t miss the home button at all.

Picked up an Anker Wireless charger as well that does 7.5w. Seems to charge pretty quickly and looks the part :)

Fast Wireless Charger, Anker 7.5W/10W/5W https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DBXNV58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kp4hCbKXSYBR7

Soldato
I would personally say that the hassle of keeping an eye on the battery level to ensure it's between 20 and 80 percent is outweighed by the minimal difference it will actually make doing this.

The main thing you want to do is avoid heat - wireless & fast charging will produce more heat for the battery, so when charging overnight, it's better to use the 5W charger. Lithium based batteries should also reject current when they're 100%.

(Snip)

I don’t agree. Having the phone between 40% and 80% is the best way to minimise battery degradation. Obviously you can’t always do this.

Caporegime
Soldato
It takes a lot to hit over 10G a month if you are spending 8 hrs at work and then 8 hrs sleeping. It doesn't leave much time burning data.

I average about 23GB a month and I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user. I don't really use social media so it's mostly Reddit, internet use, Streaming apps (youtube/nowtv) or Apple Music. My highest recent month is 37GB but I think I used the tethered connection a fair bit that month.

Back
Top Bottom