• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
I think regardless of FaceID or Fingerprint, it doesn't really matter that much as it's pretty lax security as a whole when it comes to privacy. If your phone gets into the wrong hands when you're present, whoever has it can almost certainly compel you to unlock it by force or without your consent. With a passcode they can't compel you to tell them the code. For me that's where all this falls down in terms of personal privacy and security.

I realise it's not a concern of 99.9% of the population as they want convenience and a deterrent for thieves, and for that it's pretty great. But I think as time goes on I can see more people than just border control agents wanting to take your phone and download all the content to scan it or check for information. It makes me feel pretty uncomfortable to think that this may start to occur more often, but I can see it happening and FaceID makes it easier to access this data if they grab your phone and wave it in front of your face. Whether it's random stop and search on the streets, in offices or schools, or passing through a port. I don't know what the solution or end game will be for that.

Soldato
I think you're over complicating this, it's like worrying about your fingerprints no longer working if your hand gets chopped off. Sure it's a possibility but in the unlikely event you'll just enter your pass code and start over again.

A one off event that take a couple of minutes, no big deal either way.

Eh? I was just speculating on why Apple don't recommend Face ID for under 13's - I've been happily using TouchID and Apple Pay since they were released, and when I eventually get a FaceID-enabled phone next year (skipping the X) then I'll be using that straight away.

Soldato
You normally have to do this with your finger every now and then so I don't see the difference.

No.

I’ve had Touch ID on a iphone from when it came first out.

I’ve set it in the start up of every new device I’ve had with Touch ID and never had to set it again.

This years X seems like rushed beta project that they had to make because of the 10 year anniversary but ran out of time to perfect it.

Hopefully next years ‘X’ iPhone variant will have Touch and face I.D giving you the choice as well as a better quality LG oled from the new plant that’s being built.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A big lol at Google for slating Apple when they dropped the headphone jack, now they've done it themselves with the new Pixel saying USB-C has come on a long way.

Soldato
I think regardless of FaceID or Fingerprint, it doesn't really matter that much as it's pretty lax security as a whole when it comes to privacy. If your phone gets into the wrong hands when you're present, whoever has it can almost certainly compel you to unlock it by force or without your consent. With a passcode they can't compel you to tell them the code. For me that's where all this falls down in terms of personal privacy and security.

I realise it's not a concern of 99.9% of the population as they want convenience and a deterrent for thieves, and for that it's pretty great. But I think as time goes on I can see more people than just border control agents wanting to take your phone and download all the content to scan it or check for information. It makes me feel pretty uncomfortable to think that this may start to occur more often, but I can see it happening and FaceID makes it easier to access this data if they grab your phone and wave it in front of your face. Whether it's random stop and search on the streets, in offices or schools, or passing through a port. I don't know what the solution or end game will be for that.
Pretty sure if they punched you in the face, you’d give them the code.

Soldato
Interesting thread here about the new screen and 'Pentile' display, explaining how the display tech may not actually be that great on the new OLED due to not being high enough resolution for the new pentile display format, and thus it may partly explain the shift to the new larger fonts on iOS11 to help mask this issue of not being as sharp as previous displays.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/74s8iw/on_the_iphone_xs_pentile_450ppi/

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Interesting thread here about the new screen and 'Pentile' display, explaining how the display tech may not actually be that great on the new OLED due to not being high enough resolution for the new pentile display format, and thus it may partly explain the shift to the new larger fonts on iOS11 to help mask this issue of not being as sharp as previous displays.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/74s8iw/on_the_iphone_xs_pentile_450ppi/
Apple is pretty careful with this sort of stuff, and this is a flagship phone, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Soldato
^ Oh it really doesn't seem to look very good in the flesh does it. The photos make it look stunning, but that video....meh

Then again, I think the V30 looks good lol

Man of Honour
The more I see the black bit at the top of the screen, the more I dislike it.

Hopefully in a future iOS update they'll have a permanent black bar so it blends in. Not like you're losing screen space, you can still have signal/time/battery show there. But it just looks awful

I can't hate it too much as I still plan to get one :p

Soldato
Unlikely, they specifically say in the design guidelines for devs not to try and hide or mask it in their apps by doing that. I think they're trying to embrace the oddity and make it a branding recognition 'feature'.

Back
Top Bottom