Pollen Filters-Airflow arrow question

Soldato
Just replaced my pollen/cabin filter on my 4007. Old one doesn't seem to have any airflow arrows marked on it so I'm not sure what way the new one is meant to sit as it has an arrow and 'Airflow' marked on it.

Do I fit the filter with the arrow pointing down or up?. I found a video online showing the replacement process for a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander (identical car - different badges)and the guy said the arrows were supposed to point down towards where the spinning impeller in the fan unit sits, is that correct?. It looks a bit strange as to me the fan being at the bottom is blowing air UPWARDS towards the vents in the dash so if the arrow was pointing downwards surely thats facing against the direction of the airflow and the wrong way?. Or do the Airflow arrows on these filters generally point towards where the air is flowing from?.

Here's how I've got it just now:-

air.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's obvious. If the fan is at the bottom, blowing upwards towards the ducting that leads into the cabin, then the filter needs to be flipped round so the arrows point in this direction.

Man of Honour
It's obvious. If the fan is at the bottom, blowing upwards towards the ducting that leads into the cabin, then the filter needs to be flipped round so the arrows point in this direction.

In most fluid/gas systems, inline filters occur before the pump unit to protect it from debris. So i guess if the fan is below it, then the filter is fitted right at the moment ?

Soldato

Not really obvious if you have it wrong.

Big clues:
1. the recirculation door is above, this is an air inlet to the HVAC.
2. its an centrifugal type fan on the blower, air enters the centre and it thrown outwards in all directions, the air then ducts around the fan bowl to the exit duct.
3. Filter is typically pre fan to prvent debris getting to the motor and making a racket.... ie a leaf.

Soldato
Not really obvious if you have it wrong.

Big clues:
1. the recirculation door is above, this is an air inlet to the HVAC.
2. its an centrifugal type fan on the blower, air enters the centre and it thrown outwards in all directions, the air then ducts around the fan bowl to the exit duct.
3. Filter is typically pre fan to prvent debris getting to the motor and making a racket.... ie a leaf.

Well I was going on his description. He said the blower is at the bottom, and the dashboard ducting is at the top, therefore the airflow would be in that direction.

I can't identify all the components and system layout from that close-up photo anyway.

Anyway, I did say 'if' ;)

Soldato
OP
Cheers folks, much appreciated. I looked up the Peugeot TIS and found this:-

6DATm.jpg

Hard to tell exactly but it looks like there are arrows on that filter in the diagram which are pointing downwards. :)

Back
Top Bottom