Polycarbonate roof and rain noise

Soldato
I was thinking to build a lean to to the back door over our decking using a polycarbonate roof and someone has said it's the worst material for noise when it rains.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this and offer any advice or alternate materials

Thank you

Man of Honour
loud-noises-gif.gif

Man of Honour
We've got it on the front conservatory - even light rain makes a noticeable noise and having the door open to it you definitely hear it, personally doesn't bother me though.

EDIT: As below you don't hear it inside the house though, as long as the access door is closed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Roughly what size is it?

The space between the garage and the house is just wider than a standard timber door frame and door. We have one at the front of the house and one at the back, half way between is the kitchen back door on the side of the house. Above this we have a sloping polycarbonate roof supported by timbers onto the garage roof. So in answer to your question about 6m by 1m. It is excellent for draught proofing the side kitchen door, for hanging outdoor coats and providing another level of security.

We did manage to get a mini digger through to aid landscaping the back garden last year.

Soldato
I actually like the sound of it hitting the roof. If you’re inside and warm, it can be quite cosy and comforting, like rain on a caravan roof.

Same, love listening to the rain to fall asleep to.

Glass would be a little better at absorbing the sound, but comes at the expense of bigger cost and weight.

Soldato
I'm extremely sensitive to sound, weirdly as I've got older and have tinnitus. And that is probably the only noise I could deal with. I find it pretty calming.
I have tinnitus too and when we lived in NZ for a while the rain on the, not uncommon, tin roof was very soothing.

The possums scrambling across it first thing in the morning, notsomuch.

Back
Top Bottom