Poor wireless speed/signal - help!

Associate
Hi All

I'm a beginner when it comes to networking. I have recently moved into my house with VM 200mb set up in my office (the VM Super Hub 2 is wired in here). I have a wired connection to my PC within the office but everything else runs over Wi-Fi. I purchased a powerline adaptor with Wi-Fi (Netgear PLW1000) but the speeds in my lounge will only get to about 30mb when I run a speedtest.

Can you recommend what the best solution will be to get good wireless signal and speed in other parts of my house based on a budget up to £150? It will be very difficult to wire up the rest of the house so ideally I need wireless solutions.

I've uploaded an image of my ground floor showing location of office (extension) and my lounge to give you an idea.

SRi0uxC.png

Thanks!

Soldato
Is 30 Mb/s good enough? If so, do nothing. If not, get yourself an access point. You'll need to run a cable from your router to the access point. If you're in rented accommodation you'll likely have to route around the doors and go through them on the side across from the hinge. Allow 5 metres per door. Assuming you want the access point in the lounge that's 5 or 6 doors, so you're looking at a 50 metre cable. Otherwise up and through the attic is your simplest bet followed by round the outside wall.

Soldato
Seeing as you have the powerlines already, have you used this to check the sync speed between the powerlines? Maybe moving the wifi powerline to the hallway will provide better speeds, so it won't bottleneck the wireless?

Can you at least cable up to maybe around the stairs? Stick a Ubiquiti AC AP there and it should provide good coverage for the whole home.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, I've seen the Ubiquiti Access Points but my only concern is how to get the cable from my office to a suitable location, and doing so neatly.

I've tried my powerline in different sockets and it makes no difference, if anything it gets worse. Even though it states 30mb/s it feels much slower, even webpages take a while to load and some videos on Netflix will not load/buffer at all (even the thumbnails might not load).

Soldato
If that office in an extension then there's a fair chance that there's a double skinned wall between it and the rest of the house.

I'd seriously look at running a cable externally. With any luck you'd be able to piggyback the holes Virgin have already drilled.

Back
Top Bottom