Popos opinions?

Soldato
I thought it was just a reskin with a stupid name but apparently they are doing their own tweeks such as a full Systemd boot instead of Grub.

Soldato
Used it briefly at my old work place. Works well, is focused on giving a usable OS that you add on what you need to work. I wouldn't say it has a lot (if anything) to make it stand out from the crowd of other Debian variants but it's a viable alternative to Ubuntu.

I guess using it depends on your issue with what they are "fixing"? Are they fixing things for a specific need that will benefit you or changing things #because.

Soldato
I tried Pop OS briefly. Emphasis on briefly. It’s a clean OS and works well but I had a hard time finding and installing the apps I wanted. I also wasn’t keen on the menu system. I imagine it’d work very well on a small laptop screen though. I ended up going back to Mint.

Soldato
I loved when I using it, top notch stability and looks great as a bonus (they all can but this saves faffing about), I'm actually on Windows at the moment but wont hesitate to use it when I switch back. Just try it as a live usb and make your own mind up is my advice :)

With Gnome I like to use dash-to-panel tweak to give a more conventional taskbar setup, including autohide.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just didn't realize how serious this was as a project and dismissed it for the last couple of years as a gimmick.

Apparently they are throwing a lot of time and money at this such as hiring a ex-intel engineer to optimise their code , i wasn't going to bother distro hopping any more but i might give it a go. :)

Soldato
OP
Had a quick play on Gnome-Boxes and the standard colours look horrid and amateurish in my opinion , i need to set it up on real hardware and try to look past the colour theme.

Man of Honour
I like Pop although I don't use it myself. I haven't seen 19.10 but I thought earlier versions were very good. It depends whether you like Gnome or not. But it is backed by a company rather than a community so I would imagine that they have an incentive to fix issues.

Back
Top Bottom