1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popos opinions?

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Ice Tea, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Ice Tea

Mobster

I thought it was just a reskin with a stupid name but apparently they are doing their own tweeks such as a full Systemd boot instead of Grub.

2. Steveocee

Soldato

Used it briefly at my old work place. Works well, is focused on giving a usable OS that you add on what you need to work. I wouldn't say it has alot (if anything) to make it stand out from the crowd of other Debian variants but it's a viable alternative to Ubuntu.

I guess using it depends on your issue with what they are "fixing"? Are they fixing things for a specific need that will benefit you or changing things #because.

3. Bluecube

Wise Guy

I tried Pop OS briefly. Emphasis on briefly. It’s a clean OS and works well but I had a hard time finding and installing the apps I wanted. I also wasn’t keen on the menu system. I imagine it’d work very well on a small laptop screen though. I ended up going back to Mint.

4. wiiija

Wise Guy

I loved when I using it, top notch stability and looks great as a bonus (they all can but this saves faffing about), I'm actually on Windows at the moment but wont hesitate to use it when I switch back. Just try it as a live usb and make your own mind up is my advice :)

With Gnome I like to use dash-to-panel tweak to give a more conventional taskbar setup, including autohide.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Didn't like at all what they have done with 1910 PopOs.

Ubuntu is much better.

6. wiiija

Wise Guy

Have yet to try the 1910 version, what have they done? @opethdisciple

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. opethdisciple

Capodecina

The icon set is horrible. Step back.

8. Ice Tea

Mobster

I just didn't realize how serious this was as a project and dismissed it for the last couple of years as a gimmick.

Apparently they are throwing a lot of time and money at this such as hiring a ex-intel engineer to optimise their code , i wasn't going to bother distro hopping any more but i might give it a go. :)

9. emu

Hitman

been distro hopping all year and finally settle on zorin os

10. alexakasloth

Soldato

I've kept it on my ThinkPad as it works well, is quite clean and easy to use but I have yet to try 19.10.

11. Ice Tea

Mobster

Had a quick play on Gnome-Boxes and the standard colours look horrid and amateurish in my opinion , i need to set it up on real hardware and try to look past the colour theme.

12. Hades

Capodecina

I like Pop although I don't use it myself. I haven't seen 19.10 but I thought earlier versions were very good. It depends whether you like Gnome or not. But it is backed by a company rather than a community so I would imagine that they have an incentive to fix issues.

13. Ice Tea

Mobster

I'm one of those odd people that likes Gnome with dash to panel. :)

14. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I like Gnome.