Positional Gaming Audio?

Soldato
Howdy audio aficionados.

I haven't really played any MP online shooters in years, so I had kind of forgotten how useful good positional audio is. Some guys in the Battlegrounds thread were talking about it though, and it made me realise I have no idea how to get good positional audio these days.

So I thought I'd ask the experts what you're using? Just good stereo headphones with virtual surround? "Surround" headset? Using a sound card or is onboard good enough? Need a DAC/amp?

I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Soldato
when I had 5.0 speakers, it certainly does help. Proper 5 speakers around the room, not virtual.

You need DD/DTS Live encoding, a AVR and 5.0/5.1. Or ditch the center to get 4 channel, that should be good enough.

Soldato
OP
I'd love to be able to do that tbh. I looked into it at one point a few years back, but unfortunately it's not feasible given my room layout and proximity to others in the house. So headphones only for me.

Soldato
The best surround setup for headphones is probably the Sennheiser GSX1000 DAC/Amp/processor plus Sennheiser HD5** series headphones but you won't get much change from £400.

A much cheaper option would be the Soundblaster Z sound card (£50 is for OEM) and a pair of AKG K612 (£110 ish) headphones or if you need closed headphones, the Audio Technica M40X will do in a pinch.

As you are looking to play multiplayer, you may want a headset (includes microphone) rather than headphones and the best bang for buck is the Hyper X Cloud (£70 ish)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I saw a review for the GSX before - think it was Hardware Canucks. Anyway, I liked a lot of its features, and the fact that it's driverless, with no faffing about etc. User reviews seem positive as well.

I've liked Creative's CMS3D in the past, so I'll look into the Z sound card as well (although they use a different solution now).

Would both the Z and GSX be able to drive the K612s and/or M40Xs?

Anyone else have a system they are happy with?

Soldato
MX40Xs are easy to drive so no problem with either and the Z should be ok with both but the GSX won't be able to drive the K612s as it has a pretty weak headphone amp.

Personally I use a Xonar STX (Dolby Headphone) with Sennheiser HD650s or AKG K702s. I don't play multi-player so don't need a microphone but if I did would probably get a desk mic or a pair of Sennheiser Game Ones (based on HD558 I believe).

Associate
Hey dude.. I'm not quite teched up as the big boys but I'm running some steelseries Siberia 800s through a xonar u7 via optical and it's works mighty fine . I play a lot is Squad on line and I can tell you when them bullets and pinging around your head you can really feel it.. My next upgrade would like to be a gsx 1000. But I don't know if vi could run my Siberia's through it.If not I could use either my Dt770 s or my X2s...

Associate
I don't believe the GSX1000 has an optical output, so you wouldn't be able to use them but the X2s should work spectacularly.
Cheers for that if I'm honest I've had the X2,s for about 3, months and not really had them out box...the intention was to get a moda boom mic and use them as my go to but the Siberia's work very well for what I want with the xonar but if I do get a gsx in the future would use the X2s then

Soldato
Thanks rids, looking into all your suggestions.

What's the headphone amp on the SBZ like?

The SB Z amp isn't bad, it's quite strong and is fine for most headphones. If you want to drive something tougher, like the AKG K7xx or Sennheiser HD6xx series then the Asus Xonar STX has a very powerful amp that gets the best out of them.

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread but this is for Rids57. In your opinion which would be better for FPS MP gaming, the Sennheiser GAME ONE or the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X ? The latter is half the price of the GAME ONEs hence my question. I mainly play Rainbow 6 Siege and BF1.

I have the Sounblaster Z sound card too.

Soldato
you don't have to spend a fortune, I use SB Z with hyper x 2.0 headset and set windows to 5.1, game to 5.1 and then set the driver to virtual surround, its very convincing in how it works

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread but this is for Rids57. In your opinion which would be better for FPS MP gaming, the Sennheiser GAME ONE or the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X ? The latter is half the price of the GAME ONEs hence my question. I mainly play Rainbow 6 Siege and BF1.

I have the Sounblaster Z sound card too.

The Game Ones are open backed while the M40X are closed, so the Sennheisers will sound more airy and natural while the M40X will have more bass, which is great for immersion but the low frequencies can mask the details that can be all important for MP FPS. The Game Ones are based on the HD5xx series headphones, which retail at well north of a ton and then you've got the built in microphone, which is a top quality item. Of course, if you don't need a mic and would prefer the added isolation you get with a closed back set, the M40X is excellent value for money and performs well above it's price point and many claim that it's a better headphone than it's more expensive big brother, the M50X.

Soldato
Thanks Rids, tempted to give the GAME ONEs a go but came across the Logitech G633 Artemis Wired headsets in a RB6:Siege thread. These are half the price of the GAME ONEs and are getting good reviews from RB6 players.

I'm currently using the Roccat Kave 5.1 Analogue headset, which are great for positional audio except for when the enemy is very close behind me or in front... then I really cant tell if their behind me or in front!? Ive had them for over 6 years and could do with a refresh.

Soldato
Messed around with the settings in Creative Control Manager and turned all the enhancements off (surround, crystalizer and bass redirect). Launched Rainbow 6 Siege and all the immenseness has disappeared, all the sounds felt distant and dull.

I've got Windows 10 Sound set to 5.1 and the same in Creative Control Manager. Sounds like the Kaves need those enhancements to make use of the 5.1 speakers it has in the headset.

Back
Top Bottom