Possible GPU issue? Please help!

Associate
Greetings all,

I'm in the process of building my daughters a gaming PC for Christmas. I've just purchased a 2nd hand RX580 GPU and i've put just put it in my own fully built pc which works perfectly however after installing the drivers and trying to run time spy to benchmark it - the displays both just stopped working and i had to hard reset the PC. I've checked that the drivers are up to date as shown below.

I'm currently using a 850W ASUS ROG STRIX 850G White Edition, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold PSU so it shouldn't be an insufficient power issue - it also works fine with my 3060Ti card.

Anyone else had this or knows what's going on? I suspect the GPU is naffed but i want to see what you guys think.

Thanks

Edit: Just logged in World of Warcraft on it and in 10 seconds the temp went from 40 degrees to 75 degrees and the fans started screaming. This is with an open side panel also.
Picture of CPUID HWM

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Based on my own experience, I'd recommend using an old driver for a Polaris card (currently, I use 19.11.3). At least, I would for testing purposes, to rule out issues with the newer ones which are really meant for RDNA cards nowadays.

75 degrees is acceptable, RX 580 is a bit of a monster and commonly undervolted for 24/7 builds.

The clocks look fine, but isn't the memory supposed to be 2000? (i.e. is it overclocked?)

RX 580s could be loud, but they usually had rather hefty heatsink/fan so I'm surprised you have a 'screamer'. What model is it?

Has the bios been changed? I'd wager many 580s are ex mining cards.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Based on my own experience, I'd recommend using an old driver for a Polaris card (currently, I use 19.11.3). At least, I would for testing purposes, to rule out issues with the newer ones which are really meant for RDNA cards nowadays.

75 degrees is acceptable, RX 580 is a bit of a monster and commonly undervolted for 24/7 builds.

The clocks look fine, but isn't the memory supposed to be 2000? (i.e. is it overclocked?)

RX 580s could be loud, but they usually had rather hefty heatsink/fan so I'm surprised you have a 'screamer'. What model is it?

Has the bios been changed? I'd wager many 580s are ex mining cards.
Thank you for your reply. The GPU is a MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8GB.

I used a program called DDU to completely uninstall any NVIDIA and AMD drivers on my system then used the new up to date AMD drivers found by the AMD tool. I then ran the Fire Strike benchmark and it managed to go through that ok however when i ran Time Spy again it gave me black screens and they stopped responding.

I've messaged the person i purchased it from and he was suggesting that it was my PSU not giving sufficient power or indeed the drivers. He also suggested that i did a full windows re-install?!

To test my PSU i swapped my 3060 TI back into my PC and ran Time Spy with that and it went through perfectly fine.

I then went back to the seller and asked if he had overclocked the GPU at all. His reply was that he can't remember and that there was a possibility he tweaked with the bios but can't remember with this specific card.

Now i'm in two minds on what to do. Either i try tuning it down a little myself (which i've not done before) or i just send it back as it's now made me doubt how stable this card actually is.

What are your thoughts?

Associate
I will second what tetras said its likely been used for mining probably has a mining bios on it, try flashing a standard bios back on see if the problems go.

Man of Honour
What are your thoughts?

Black screens can definitely be caused by drivers (especially newer drivers), it was rife with Polaris and first-gen RDNA cards and problems like this are sometimes resolved by a complete re-install, so he's not wrong to suggest it.

Not being able to remember if he flashed it isn't convincing though, but you could probably change the clocks and fan profile in the drivers or afterburner, so should be easy enough to put the memory back to stock.

Up to you how much troubleshooting you want to do, but I'll be honest, getting an old card like this (they're 4-5 years old now) where many thousands were used for mining and now being sold on, there's a fair chance it'll have issues.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you all for your comments, i think i'll be sending it back for a refund. Might stay away from RX 580 if they are well known for being mining GPU's. Although i don't see much options around the £100 - 150 price range.

Man of Honour
Thank you all for your comments, i think i'll be sending it back for a refund. Might stay away from RX 580 if they are well known for being mining GPU's. Although i don't see much options around the £100 - 150 price range.

You can get an RX 6600 for £250 brand new. I know it's a lot more, but they're much faster than the RX 580, have good driver support and significantly lower power usage (compared to most stock 580s anyway).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom