• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Graphics Card issue, Helped needed!

Associate
Hey guys,

As the title suggest I'm not 100% sure this is a graphics card issue but so far all signs seem to be pointing to it. So here we go... (Graphics card is an EVGA GTX 570HD)

A couple of days ago as I was just using my PC for some browsing, little bit of programming and some light gaming, when my screen went black.Then, a second or so later, the image came back with the pop-up message, "The graphics driver stopped responding has has recovered" (or something of that nature).
This happened maybe about 5 times before I updated the driver to the latest version, this didn't solve the problem as the same thing happened a few more times.

So, I turned the PC off for the night and went to bed, hoping to look into the problem more the next day. However, when I turned it on the next day, after the windows loading icon no signal seemed to be coming from the graphics card to the monitor, it just kept going into power-saving mode. Tried a few times and sometimes there would just be a thin white line somewhere across the screen and that's all, no matter what I did it did not respond and requires a hard shutdown.

I can successfully start up in safe Mode and so I tried a few things:
  • Uninstalled Graphics Driver, Restart.
  • System restore to a few days before.
  • Disable graphics driver and then restart.
None of these changed the outcome. Bit apprehensive to do a full system restore but I know it's probably inevitable D:.
I've emailed EVGA but probably won't get a response until about Wednesday now, Tuesday at the best.
So, whilst waiting for their response I thought I'd ask you guys for a bit of help.

Any help would be nice... even if it's bad news.

Thanks in advance,

C

[EDIT]
Sorry for the typo in the thread title! :(

Associate
I have been having the same problem with my 6850 been crashing all the time for no apparent reason, never had the problem with the screens not loading etc.

Associate
I had similar symptoms after moving from 5770's in cf to a 570. The machine would crash (no bluescreen or error) and restart, and occassionally not make it past the Windows loading screen. Like you I tried reinstalling drivers, and that didn't seem to change anything.

Anyway, I decide a complete reinstall of Windows would be the only solution and continued to use my machine with the problem until I had time to reinstall. Couple evenings after though, I powered down the machine my self before I popped out and when I came back and powered it back up the symptoms were gone. There were other issues like my 570 being recognized in Hardwar Monitor as a 5770 :confused:, but those also disappeared.

I'd recommend you try reinstall drivers again, then restarting the machine a few times. Good luck.

Associate
OP
Ok so, a little update...
I just booted up in Safe Mode, went to Device Manager, right-clicked on the display driver and uninstalled it. Then I restarted the PC and it successfully started up!! But obviously without any driver, so I installed the latest drivers again restart once it was complete and now back to the same problem.

Thought it had worked :(

Associate
It's a pickle alright, first off, open up your case and unplug your card.

Hoover any excess dust and blow it out of the PCI-E sockets and all other connections on the card such as the PCB where it plugs into the board and where the cables get plugged into.

Plug the cables out of the monitor and get rid of any excess dust, check if things will work with a different monitor and cable if you can to eliminate all possible faults.

Should this all fail you're probably looking at a corrupt OS or your card or mobo is gone faulty. Also try your GPU in another PCI-E slot if you have one. You could try using a registry fix/cleaner program it might fix a corrupt OS.

If none of the above works you could partition you're hard drive and leave you're old Windows on one partition and do a fresh re-install on the other half. Just install the basics like your AV and a game or wherever the fault occurs and try it out.

If it works you know Windows is after having a hissy fit and you have to re-install.

If absolutely nothing above works you need to try and get a loan of or even purchase a cheap GPU to see if it will work in your board, if it works your GPU is faulty, if it and no other cards work your motherboard PCI-E or something like your north bridge is after kicking the bucket.

If all this fails I'm fresh out of ideas, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom