• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible GTX 670 release on 10th May

Soldato
I want a card with a specific cooler. Will have to wait to see what prices do, but I'm hoping either a decent price on the 670, or if a 660 genuinely will compete with a 580, a nice price on that. I've got a 480 atm, and want to upgrade due to heat/noise, and I just can't accept 'downgrading' to a new card... hence why I'm looking for 580+ performance, if only I'd bought something smaller in the first place I could happily upgrade to a 570 xD

kd

Same here almost. Got a 570 but want to move now to soemthing with lwoer power consumption/heat generation so either a 670 or as you say a 660 if it matches the current 580. Think this time around I will get at least two fans on the cooler/card I go with.

Associate
Same here almost. Got a 570 but want to move now to soemthing with lwoer power consumption/heat generation so either a 670 or as you say a 660 if it matches the current 580. Think this time around I will get at least two fans on the cooler/card I go with.

ya cant spend that much on a 680 atm but a 670 price sounds much more appealing ... I do have to admit the gtx 685 or whatever is coming out in oct has me spelldrawn thou - supposed to be what is it 25% quicker then the 680 ... but I digress

Soldato
I would have thought nearer £300 myself, however givent he silly prices on cards it might be more. Though with AMD's line up already out they might price slightly more aggresively than they have done?

Associate
£350. If it competes with the 7950 (and it has to) then it will be £350 at the least.

Nvidia charge more for a GPU than AMD and always have.

cough 680 cough; well didnt take amd to lower their prices thou. (once they realized they had a inferior product :)

Soldato
pictures of the 670 are already online, but i had to delete them yesterday :rolleyes:

250 quid ?.... i doubt it, but if so i'm deffo interested, but not around 300 quid

Soldato
cough 680 cough; well didnt take amd to lower their prices thou. (once they realized they had a inferior product :)

If that's how you feel about it fine.

Fact is the 7970 costs more to make. At least AMD have that as a small excuse.

If the card coming is a 670ti or plain 670 then it will use the same wafer core as the 680. Just because they laser cut some of the cores and shaders or whatever they want to call them doesn't mean the wafer will be any cheaper to buy.

Thus, putting an already scarce wafer on a PCB and charging a lot less for it won't be the game plan and I can promise you that.

If this wafer shortage continues and affects both companies you will see prices soar. Look what happened to hard drives when the parts became scarce due to the flooding in Thailand.

Soldato
but will it OC as well, because the 670 looks like the 680, it doesn't have sexy twin fans ;)

It may reach the same clock speed. In fact, if it has less shaders or cores then it will probably clock higher. The less on the die the less heat you have to contend with and thus, the higher clocks.

As an example the E8400 core 2 duo was almost guaranteed to do 4ghz. The quad core variants were not. That was down to heat coming from the same place. More cores = more heat.

Hence the amazing clocking goodness of the GTX 460 when compared to the higher end launch Fermi cards. Less going on, less heat, more clocks.

well you'd better buy something next week then !!!!

I don't need to :) GTX 480 SLI takes care of any single GPU on the market. Plus some one just bought me a new case board and PSU to sort out the 480 spacing for the summer.

Soldato
oh dear usual Nvidia greed, card looks ugly too

For those who don’t know, the GeForce GTX 670 card is based on salvaged Nvidia GX104 GPUs. These are GPU’s with malfunctioning units or chips that don’t clock up to Nvidia’s reference GTX 680 clocks.

Therefore, the non-working units are disabled and the working frequency is lowered. This way, the GPU gets sold at a lower price instead of being tossed in the trashbin.

i need say no more !

Last edited:
Soldato
oh dear usual Nvidia greed, card looks ugly too

A GeForce GTX 670 graphics card reportedly became available for pre-order in the Philippines. It’s made by Gainward and the price is around 470 USD. That is around 355 EUR for European buyers.

While this may look like a good deal for the dwellers from the old continent, the American buyers might actually go for the GeForce GTX 680 flagship for 9% more money.

The pre-order prices are always much higher than the launch prices and subsequent mass shipments that come with the first discounts. The online shop vows they’ll return any price difference between the pre-order price and the launch price.

For those who don’t know, the GeForce GTX 670 card is based on salvaged Nvidia GX104 GPUs. These are GPU’s with malfunctioning units or chips that don’t clock up to Nvidia’s reference GTX 680 clocks.

Therefore, the non-working units are disabled and the working frequency is lowered. This way, the GPU gets sold at a lower price instead of being tossed in the trashbin.

L-LOOOOOOOOL.

Great value for a £350 card then. Seems I was right about the prices. Still, some people will buy any old garbage, including Nvidia's actual garbage.

Rofflecopter.

Soldato
i know ha ha.

i'm only having a laugh, but hay; it isn't me that said it should have neen thrown in the trash is it .... ha ha

it's probably ok, but reading this has put me off totally..... this 670 is actually probably the same as the 7950.

bru

bru

Soldato
You guys do realise that this is the way things have worked for a long time now, as ive said before you get 3 or 4 cards out of a single chip. EGA: 5970, 5870, 5850 and 5830 all from the same chip, it doesn't make the lesser cards bad. hell even the card that everybody is raving about the 7850 is a "salvaged" "malfunctioning" "don't clock" chip that fortunately hasn't been "tossed in the trashbin".

Give the 670 a chance to show what it is capable of before deciding its ****, if it comes in a the right price and can clock nearly as well as the 680 it could be a stonking card. Of course if it is too expensive and doesn't perform as well as it could then yes it might not be so good.
Generally history shows us that the salvaged parts often give the best performance for the money.

Soldato
Might have to wait until June?

"NVIDIA pricing structure (for now), should look as follows:

•$999 - GTX 690 4GB
•$579 - GTX 680 4GB OC (Preferred AIB Pricing)
•$499 - GTX 680 2GB
•$379 - GTX 670 4GB (Preferred AIB Pricing)
•$399 - GTX 670 2GB
•$249 - GTX 660 (Ti?) 1.5GB
Products are expected to be formally announced next week, with mass availability and custom designs by Computex Taipei 2012, which is scheduled to take place between June 5-9 at World Trade Center and Nangang Exhibithion Hall in Taipei, Taiwan."

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-...e-gtx-660-ti-and-670/15728.html#ixzz1tZM64MLA

Back
Top Bottom