Possible Heat issues causing PC to freeze and crash!

Soldato
So I've been having this problem for a while on an off. It seems completely random, sometimes it doesn't happen at all for a week. Then it happens several times a day. I feel like it might have something to do with heat as it seems to happen only after the PC has been on for a while , even though all the temperature values to seem to be normal, perhaps the heat issue is a component that isn't being recorded. It happens when the PC is idle mostly in windows as well. I played several games yesterday for several hours fine, and then I go back to the windows and the PC idles a bit and then it freezes and crashes. Does that seem like heat issue?

I though it might be the power supply but that doesn't seem likely now. If it is a heat issue then what can I do about it?

My specs are Rog Strix X470 f motherboard, 2700x cpu, TForce DDR4 3200 memory, GTX1080 graphics card. I'm thinking I might just buy a new motherboard and CPU, or is there something simpler I can do to get this PC lasting a bit longer?

Man of Honour
Does it respond to CTRL + ALT + DEL, or hard reset only?

I'd consider switching the memory to 2133 so you can rule that out.

What SSD do you have?

Anything recorded in the event viewer at the time of crash?

Tried a different graphics card driver version?

Soldato
OP
Nope it doesn't respond to CTRL + ALT + DEL. It used to freeze and I'd have to manually reset. Now it pretty much just freezes then hard crashes out by itself and reboots(or doesn't reboot). SSD is 1tb Samsung 850 EVO and have an Sabrent 2TB M2 drive. I've updated my graphics driver and most of the other drivers I can think of. There's not generally much that seems helpful in the event viewer, I have occasional "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID " warnings but nothing right before the freeze/crash.

I have done a memory error check recently using the windows built in checker would not that not have found any errors? I have just ran my PC for about 3 hours now with no freezes or crashes just browsing internet and watching vids etc(no games) and its been fine so far, it's weird.

Soldato
OP
can you take the side panel off and see if it freezes or crashes, that would be fastest way to diagnose if it's heat
Yeah I can do that. I've currently upped the fan speeds as they may have been to low, I realize I had a bios update a while ago that made the fans really loud so I used a custom fan curve in AI Suite to quieten them. Current temps are CPU 35degrees, motherboard 25, and gpu 30(probably mostly due to the low ambient temp). They were never much higher before though.

Associate
Overheating is one of those issues that everyone refers to straight away with the cpu and gpu, but if you have bad airflow it could be the psu, ssd, even the hdd. Try it over a day or two with no side on it, clear out some dust bunnies around the heatsinks if it's dusty as a Pharoah's jockstrap.
I am assuming it's heat that's the issue, here, I had similar symptoms with my rig when I was running too low a voltage on an overly ambitious overclock on my ram and cpu

Man of Honour
I have done a memory error check recently using the windows built in checker would not that not have found any errors? I have just ran my PC for about 3 hours now with no freezes or crashes just browsing internet and watching vids etc(no games) and its been fine so far, it's weird.
Not necessarily, but the memory doesn't need to be faulty for the system to have problems running it.

Associate
What PSU do you have in it ? Similar problems I've had in the past were sometimes down to a low-quality or just plain "going bad" PSU.

Soldato
OP
Small update I think I may have found the problem. After playing a game and exiting that game and idling and browsing in windows for a bit I noticed the temps on my graphics card were unusually high, and they weren't going down 50 degrees. I checked the fans and they weren't moving at all. And subsequently not many seconds later the PC just crashed and rebooted itself, and then on reboot it froze completely and I had to do a hard reset.

I've recently installed Precision X1 and set the fans to an auto curve(I thought I had already done that but it seems not), I'm not sure if that's going to actually fix it. I'm now wondering whether the graphics card is on its way out and whether I'm going to have to replace it or not.

Soldato
Some GPUs have a zero RPM feature and will turn off fans when temps are low and/or demand is low. Fans do fail, but that doesn't render the card unusable ... (you just have to find a way to provide cooling and airflow).

What are you classing as high temp wise? (GPUs have a greater tollerance for heat than CPUs).

Soldato
OP
My GPU does default turn of the fans I think its below 40 degrees. I've made sure my PC has decent airflow. That last value I saw was like 52 degrees I'm guessing the temp readings aren't entirely accurate like the heat is getting to certain components in the GPU and causing it to fail and crash.

Soldato
That's not even close to temps to worry about for a GPU, mine idles at 50C (fans off), when you start seeing 90C or 80C if you're overly cautious, then it's worth thinking about.

Associate
What make is your graphics card and do you have any other software for it aside from Precision x1? I have msi afterburner and Palits own software thunder master. I am just asking in case you have a conflict with software over your card's fan control

Soldato
OP
That's not even close to temps to worry about for a GPU, mine idles at 50C (fans off), when you start seeing 90C or 80C if you're overly cautious, then it's worth thinking about.

I know but maybe the temps aren't accurate or something or maybe a specific component is overheating that isn't being taken into account with the temperature value.

What make is your graphics card and do you have any other software for it aside from Precision x1? I have msi afterburner and Palits own software thunder master. I am just asking in case you have a conflict with software over your card's fan control

EVGA FTW GTX 1080. I only just installed Precision X1 yesterday and I have an AI Suite 3 which only gets values from the motherboard.

Associate
That's fine then. I wouldn't worry too much about the cards temps being wrong.
You can try setting them yourself to a set % and see if that helps. I don't know if there's an apply button on Precision since I haven't used evga in over a decade.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I mention their could be unforeseen temp problems because my first version basically blew up it popped due to bad vrm's or something after about just under a year. I even modded it with thermal pads with EVGA's consent because there was temperature problems in certain components, which didn't exactly do much. I guess I may have been lucky to have this replacement card working so well for this long.

I've set up EVGA Precision with a custom fan profile hopefully that works for a while, at least until I can afford and are able to get a replacement.

Soldato
The issue you described doesn't sound like a graphics problem(at least to me) and the temp readings you have don't give any cause for concern. Remove and reseat your ram, test a second PSU (if that's an option), remove and replug all your power connections (check the ones at the PSU end if it's modular), if you have an overclock applied, remove it, etc.

Soldato
OP
I noticed a weird thing when connecting a Wacom tablet to my PC, I don't even have to plug it in just tap the metal together slightly and my monitor goes black for a second. I'm suspicious these freezes and crashes are something to do with the Tablet or the USB connections but how would that even work?

Back
Top Bottom