Possible PSU replacement

Soldato
Hi,

My PC started randomly rebooting under load around two weeks ago (it also rebooted on YT once). Tried rolling back drivers, checking cables, cleaning etc. but to no avail. Power supply test in OCCT reboots the PC in a matter of seconds if I select use all logical cores. CPU test and GPU test run just fine separately. It looks like the PSU is on its way out but I can't exclude other possibilities until I disassemble my PC on the weekend to check it thoroughly. My PSU is a 3-year old Antec EDGE 750w. It's quite peculiar that it would go so soon but I've had around three power outages in recent months so maybe that somehow did it.

Just in case, if the PSU is the culprit:

Between the Corsair RM750x/i and EVGA G3, which would you recommend? The RM750x is supposedly quieter and I can have it slightly cheaper but the G3 is basically a SuperFlower and deemed to be a top-notch unit. Is the G3 noticeably noisy? I've read some complaints about it's predecessor getting somewhat loud over time.

Specs:

MSI 1070 Gaming X
Asus Z97-Pro
16gb RAM

Soldato
Yeah, that kinda hints to combined CPU and GPU load causing it.

Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum is little cheaper as that Corsair.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05v-ss.html
And Focus Plus Gold near £20 cheaper.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05r-ss.html

Anyway even 550W would be enough for that power consumption level graphics card unless you're overclocking/volting.
And 650W for most single graphics card PCs.

If you have power outages more or less "regularly" have you considered getting UPS?

Associate
550w is plenty for your hardware, as you likely only use ~350w under load. The Corsair and EVGA units you mentioned are great as well, but they cost much more and offer loads of wattage you likely won't come anywhere near to needing.

Some options:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £255.03 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help, guys:)

Yeah, I know I'm nowhere near the limit but I got a 750w unit in case I wanted to go SLI (the price diffefence was rather small back then). I probably won't though but you never know.

I might get something cheaper, I reckon 650w should be plenty for every single GPU setup considering components are getting less and less power-hungry? I run my card OC'd sometimes but on stock volts as it hardly makes any difference for a 1070. I will obviously be upgrading the GPU in the future and possibly the entire platform.

Associate
Thanks for the help, guys:)

Yeah, I know I'm nowhere near the limit but I got a 750w unit in case I wanted to go SLI (the price diffefence was rather small back then). I probably won't though but you never know.

I might get something cheaper, I reckon 650w should be plenty for every single GPU setup considering components are getting less and less power-hungry? I run my card OC'd sometimes but on stock volts as it hardly makes any difference for a 1070. I will obviously be upgrading the GPU in the future and possibly the entire platform.
650w would be enough for a 1080ti if that was your upgrade path.

Soldato
Only times 650W wouldn't be enough is with some very high power consumption card and very heavily overclocked and especially overvolted CPU.
Some graphics cards can consume nearing 400W when overclocked/volted.
Then if also CPU is heavily overclocked/volted that can go to 150+ W consumption.

But say Vega 64 in Power Save profile, or manually undervolted is in class of 200W.
Then normal consumer desktop CPUs are all below 100W, and add 50W for mobo/other parts.
And games don't load all CPU cores fully so average gaming power draw would be somewhat below that.

Platinum Kings are second tier PSUs.
They use basically third tier CapXon capacitors which are also sandwiched to rather warm place between 12V rectifier heatsink and 3,3 and 5V DC-DC daughterboard.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF650P14PE/4.html
Definitely wouldn't trust them much beyond that 5 year warranty.

Associate
Only times 650W wouldn't be enough is with some very high power consumption card and very heavily overclocked and especially overvolted CPU.
Some graphics cards can consume nearing 400W when overclocked/volted.
Then if also CPU is heavily overclocked/volted that can go to 150+ W consumption.

But say Vega 64 in Power Save profile, or manually undervolted is in class of 200W.
Then normal consumer desktop CPUs are all below 100W, and add 50W for mobo/other parts.
And games don't load all CPU cores fully so average gaming power draw would be somewhat below that.

Platinum Kings are second tier PSUs.
They use basically third tier CapXon capacitors which are also sandwiched to rather warm place between 12V rectifier heatsink and 3,3 and 5V DC-DC daughterboard.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF650P14PE/4.html
Definitely wouldn't trust them much beyond that 5 year warranty.
It's reviewed fairly well across sites. There are better alternatives, but since we can't link to competitors I didn't show these.

Back
Top Bottom