Possible RAM issues

Associate
I've noticed that ever since building my rig that only while gaming, I will get the occasional BSOD - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (0x000000d1). It's only become more prominent now that I've started on Battlefield 1 (which obviously is the most graphically demanding gaming I've played to date). The game at this stage is pretty much unplayable with the BSOD occurring on average every 20 minutes.

I've got the latest drivers installed for pretty much every bit of hardware on my system (in sig) but from my research online this issue is pointing towards my RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB, 3000Mhz rated). On my 6600K it is overclocked to 4.5Ghz @ 1.25V, with the RAM being set to XMP auto 3000Mhz @ 1.35V - everything else in the BIOS is set to auto as well.

I've tried to notch the RAM down to 2800 speed with the same voltage and even tried with XMP off so it defaults back to normal settings but it's still the same, though I have a good feeling it definitely is the RAM as if I have it like I normally do @ 3000Mhz, sometimes it can go a good 60-90 minutes before it will BSOD on other games (with the exception of BF1 - 20 minutes) but after testing with 2800 on BF1, the BSOD occured within 10 minutes and even with the RAM at XMP off and back to default, the BSOD occurs within 2 minutes.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks - Liam.

i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz || Asus Z170I Pro Gaming || Silverstone SG13B || Zotac GTX 1070 8GB Mini || Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB || Samsung SM961 256GB || NZXT Kraken X31 || EVGA 550W Fully Modular

Soldato
You can try setting VCCSA and IO voltage to 1.2v and see if the issue persists.

Ultimately, you should probably consider running a memory stress test like HCI to check memory stability. You might want to also consider running Real Bench for 2 to 4 hours.

Associate
OP
Silent_Scone;30493424 said:
You can try setting VCCSA and IO voltage to 1.2v and see if the issue persists.

Ultimately, you should probably consider running a memory stress test like HCI to check memory stability.

Thanks, I'll give setting the VCCSA & IO voltages to 1.2v first.

Liam.

Associate
OP
Changing both the VCCSA & IO to 1.2v seems to have helped - I didn't experience any BSOD's for an hour that I played BF1, and that with XMP turned on @ 3000mhz.

However since moving over to small form factor, temperatures have felt a little on the high side and doing a bench test earlier on to see for real, the CPU was peaking at 78c on average... and sadly RealBench BSOD twice during the this assessment within 10 minutes which is very bizarre as I found the sweet spot with 4.5Ghz @ 1.25v after a couple of rounds of RealBench late last year (4 hours per bench).

Back in the BIOS I decided to give 4.4Ghz a go with a lower voltage to shave some of the peak temperatures, it didn't like 1.2v and I gave up on that for now and currently running on everything back to default until I find the time or whether I decide to find another sweet spot for my build (even with the CPU back to stock, peak temperatures during BF1 only reach 56c and the game still runs just as well when compared to overclocked).

Liam.

Soldato
You could build the system outside the case, and position a fan over the motherboard VRMs, to rule out any overheating there.

And/or try increasing the LLC, along with, or in place of, the VCCSA & IO.

But do test the RAM also.

Back
Top Bottom