possible scratch on my Quest 2 lens

Underboss
this mark on my left lens has been on it a while, but it doesn't effect me in games

ran my finger over it and it doesn't "feel scratched"

i will try and clean it like i do with my glasses

its hard to take a pic of it so i made a video too

iiwH5Jt.jpg.png

UYrHv9r.jpg.png

Associate
I wouldn't worry about it although it may effect resale value if you come to sell. I have lens inserts in my aero to protect against scratches, might be worth investing in some?

Soldato
Looks like a smudge rather than scratches. Try using an alcohol free lens wipe. I use zeiss lens wipes which are designed for coated lenses of all types.

I recently slightly scratched my PC monitor, and no amount of polishing would remove it so I smeared a bit of vaseline in it and it effectively made it vanish. You can only really see it now when sunlight shines on the screen. Though I wouldn't reccomend you do that with your quest lenses unless they were severely scratched.

Some people find that stick on lens protectors also help disguise scratches and prevent new ones.

One of the advantages of having to use prescription lenses is at least those protect the irreplaceable headset ones from scratching.

Soldato
AS the others have said already. If it doesn't affect anything, don't worry about it.

If you do decide to clean it or try to remove it, be very careful, I have heard horror stories.

Soldato
Thanks all, I'll try and clean them carefully if not ill leave it as it is. I'm winder if my specs have touched it

If you've used spectacles with the quest then that's extremely likely. I've got prescription lenses for my Quest partly to prevent this, but it also makes it easier to take on and off.

Soldato
Being serious for a moment, we used to use Greygate plastic polish to clean the fast jet perspex canopies when they got scratched by particles of dust/grit hitting them at 700mph. The polishing process removed the scratches and blemishes leaving a perfect finish. Good enough for the guys that go up-tiddly-up-up to see through anyway.
So you should be able restore the lenses without issue.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mine has seemingly internal blemishes in certain light, doesnt affect in game vision. I actually returned my first set as it "looked" like a defect, but worked fine.

Think its just normal and they all have it to some extent.

Soldato
I did read the video comments, and they said do not use on your glasses as it scratches them up (im assuming that's glass lenses, but you can get plastic ones to , as i have both)

It's just not worth the risk wearing glasses with any VR headset. Even plastic glasses lenses can scuff the anti-reflective coating on the VR lenses, and can also scuff your glasses.

Associate
If you've used spectacles with the quest then that's extremely likely. I've got prescription lenses for my Quest partly to prevent this, but it also makes it easier to take on and off.
what are the script lenses like and where did you buy them from if don't mind me asking? i need specs and i'm thinking about getting script lenses for my quest 2...but i swear everything in my quest 2 already looks sharp so do i need correction?...whereas my eyesight doing everyday things like driving or watching tv my glasses help make me see clearly.

Soldato
There are several different suppliers. I've used both VR Optican and WidmoVR, and they were both good.

The thing to remember is the focal distance for most VR headsets is 1.5 to 2m, which is a distance prescription. If you don't need glasses for distance then you probably don't need lenses for VR. If your view in VR is clear without glasses then you probably don't need glasses in VR!

Underboss
OP
It's just not worth the risk wearing glasses with any VR headset. Even plastic glasses lenses can scuff the anti-reflective coating on the VR lenses, and can also scuff your glasses.

i don't have any choice unfortunately
and im not getting prescription lens, worked out £120 when i checked last time (-11 / -10)
ill wait till i get new headset, then i will get prescription lenses

Associate
If you don't need glasses for distance then you probably don't need lenses for VR. If your view in VR is clear without glasses then you probably don't need glasses in VR!
I do need glasses for distance i.e. my TV is about 1.75m away from me and it's slightly blurry...so apparently things should also be blurry in my quest 2...but as i said i swear my quest 2 is sharp, and i even tried it with my glasses on and couldn't really tell any difference :confused:
i know yeah it doesn't make sense!

Back
Top Bottom