possible to have a quad core with 16GB ram system built for around 5-600?

Associate
looking to replace an old system which is slowly dying but it still meets the performance i need. 16GB due to video encoding and other stuff. might choose a 250GB ssd and the OS install. no gpu needed (have another PC for gaming and more dedicated encoding so built in graphics would be fine. i tried ocuks site but can only get it around £700+

Man of Honour
There is this bundle - if you click through you can configure it for 16GB RAM.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...ram-free-240gb-ssd-online-only-bu-01f-am.html

Not entirely sure about the SSD though - the previous revision of it had somewhat mixed reputation for reliability but I've not seen complaints about the one in that bundle... so far...

I've built a couple of them for people without any issues so far for video and audio editing as the primary uses which they handle pretty well.

Man of Honour
Although that bundle has no onboard graphics so you would need a GPU.

Oops misread I thought he said no GPU needed as he already had one. It is hard to beat that bundle even throwing in a really cheap GPU - though when I built them 16GB RAM was £50-100 more than prices right now.

Associate
OP
Oops misread I thought he said no GPU needed as he already had one. It is hard to beat that bundle even throwing in a really cheap GPU - though when I built them 16GB RAM was £50-100 more than prices right now.

yeah, i'd rather not buy a gpu since i'll be tempted to make it into a backup gaming PC

Associate
Almost doable. It's having to buy Windows 10 that makes it difficult as it alone uses 15% of your budget. If you can get windows 10 from elsewhere (google is your friend) then the rest of the build is pretty achievable.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £620.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Man of Honour
yeah, i'd rather not buy a gpu since i'll be tempted to make it into a backup gaming PC

At that kind of price range though nothing else really comes close to the performance/features even when adding in like a passive GT710 or something :s it is slightly faster than the i3 above for single threaded apps and crushes it for multi-threaded stuff.

Back
Top Bottom