Possible to use 2 Routers together?

Associate
I had a nice BT Wireless router that had wireless, 4 ethernet ports and a socket to plug in a phone to use as voip (which I use).

Now unfortunately that modem broke so I have a backup BT Voyager220v that doesnt have wireles and only has one ethernet connection but DOES have the VOIP. So, is it possible to somehow run this in conjunction with a Netgear wireless router so that I can have the 4 ports, wireless & VOIP?

Im thinking that maybe I can split the connection to the telephone socket, i.e. plug in the the phone (for Voip use) into the back of the Voyager220v and run the wireless and 4 ports from the Netgear.

Should this work?

Associate
yes it is possible. assign the wireless router an IP which does not conflict with the voyager but is in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.253) and the disable dhcp server on it. connect the voyager to any of the 4 LAN ports on the wireless router. you will now have voip, wireless and modem working :).

Edit: if the netgear is a non-adsl router it is possible to connect the voyager to its WAN port and stick the netgear in the DMZ. The advantage being that it will keep all 4 LAN ports free. It gets a little complicated as you are effectively chaining the routers so I advise sticking to the method above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom