Possibly dodgy Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones?

Associate
I bought a pair for Sony WH-1000XM3 headphone online, I won't mention the website given forum rules but it wasn't fleabay or rainforest. They were just under £190 which I know is cheaper than elsewhere but I paid with paypal and thought it was worth a go.

I got them and the packaging is clearly not UK/EU stock. I had a listen but I wasn't sure if any doubts I was having was a kind of placebo thing whereby I was unsure if they are actually genuine or not. I therefore decided to get another pair from the rainforest to compare. They duly arrived and the packaging is obviously UK/EU stock, and the marking on the headphones themselves are therefore different, with a CE mark on the UK ones.

I've had a listen and I think that they do sound different but I am not 100% certain. I tried FLAC files both wired and bluetooth from PC as I thought this would be a fair test. Both sets connect to the Sony Headphones Connect app no problem.

I could however be imagining it! Does anyone have any experience of buying these from someone other than the obvious retailers that would supply UK/EU stock? I contacted Sony and they said they cannot help unless you buy directly from an authorised retailer, such as John Lewis or Currys, etc.

I am not trying to moan about being duped or whatever, I bought them knowing full well there might be issues around them being genuine. I am simply asking if anyone else has received similar ones and what their thoughts on the issue was?

I can stick up photos on the packaging if anyone does have experience and I can perhaps compare.

Cheers

Permabanned
See if the FW is the same, many claim they changed sound and lowered ANC a few FW updates ago (Big thread on their Forum and Reddit), I cannot comment as the set I had came with the first of those FW's out the box.

Either way disappointed and overrated so returned.

Associate
OP
See if the FW is the same, many claim they changed sound and lowered ANC a few FW updates ago (Big thread on their Forum and Reddit), I cannot comment as the set I had came with the first of those FW's out the box.

Either way disappointed and overrated so returned.

The rainforest ones are 4.1.1 and the others are 4.2.2, hence on the newer firmware. Guess it's time to update the firmware and relisten as it's not really a fair test at this point! My bad.

Permabanned
AFAIR 4.1.1 was the one that many were not happy with but I did not try the 3rd party FW Roll Back/Downgrade and after next FW update there was no going back (at that time).

The newer which I guess was 4.2.2 FW I got days before I got rid of them did fix a Google Assistant issue (though not in changelog so a silent fix) but did not revert the ANC complaints of 4.1.1.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
AFAIR 4.1.1 was the one that many were not happy with but I did not try the 3rd party FW Roll Back/Downgrade and after next FW update there was no going back (at that time).

The newer which I guess was 4.2.2 FW I got days before i got rid of them did fix a Google Assistant issue (though not in changelog so a silent fix) but did revert the ANC complaints of 4.1.1.

I've upgraded the FW and I now actually think they sound the same as far as I can tell. It's possibly a difference between the two firmwares, but who knows. Might all be in my head :)

Like you say though I am not blown away by them to be honest. I'm not an audiophile or anyhting though so I reckon they will do me fine given the wireless ANC aspect is going to be pretty useful as I am now having to commute to work for over an hour a day.

Cheers

Permabanned
I meant "did not" above not "did" sorry.

So 4.1.1 and 4.2.2 were same ANC wise but again I cannot say if ANC was really better before 4.1.1 as I had that FW new out the box.

They shape the music and it ruins some music for me, its not bass head but its not natural and I would rather leave that to the EQ if I need it in my device/software music player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom