Possibly Emigrating

Soldato
I lived abroad in Prague for 6.5 years.

The first year or so was new and interesting then you really need to assimilate or you're stuffed. Getting into the culture, eating the local food etc. when on a holiday is completely different to living there. I found that I wasn't willing to give my identity up and live as a local. I still really like Prague, Czech people, the relaxed atmosphere but I like living in the UK more.

You can weigh up all the pros and cons beforehand and on paper it may look better but if you feel that you just don't fit in living there then you're probably better off moving back. If you have problems adjusting to your new life as an expat that can lead to depression. I had problems with anxiety as an expat and I know of a couple friends who have had problems with depression.

For all my negative comments it could work out fine, just be aware that it isn't for everyone and you can only find out by giving it a go.

Caporegime
There are no negatives. Do it.

This really.

There will be things that are different, and some things that you miss, but then you will miss things if you don't emigrate.

In the last 10 years I have loved in California, Switzerland, oregon and I'm now in virginia. Could never imagine returning to the UK although at some point I will probably move back the the alps (I will definitely move out of Virginian within get next 5-8 years).

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;26440643 said:
There obviously are negatives (He mentions one in his post!) or many people would do it (Why have you not, for example). However whats important is that the positives outweigh those negatives which for some people they may very well do.

Most of the things are merely differences. I can't buy Irn-bru in the shops, but I can buy mountain-dew if desired, just a difference. There are things I proffered in Switzerland than the US and something's I prefer in the UK, but preferences don't make for negatives IMO.

Being distant to relatives/family I don't consider Negative. It is just different and all depends on your personal circumstances. While in the UK I rarely saw either of my sisters who live at oposite ends of the country. Our fee-time never coincided, they both workd Christmas etc, so in 5 years I never saw them once. Since living abroad i have seems them twice in 10 years, so the same rate.

Soldato
OP
I've not lived in my home town for 13 years now (100 miles away and only go back once every few months) all my family are still there. I live 600 miles from my kids.
Skype has been fantastic for me and my missus to keep in touch (hers are mostly in N.Ireland with a few exceptions).

Its something we both want to do and she is constantly being asked to move to other offices in the UK but they don't pay for relocation anymore (they did when she moved to Cardiff office from Aberdeen) other than if you work abroad (so Lisbon or Caribbean would come with accommodation which is nice). Several of her colleagues have already made the leap and have recommended her but she's loyal to her job and won't move unless she really has to.

Having said that, my preference is Australia as it wouldn't require too much of a change and we both have family and friends out there already (albeit scattered).

I doubt I can decent ale in any of these places though...... so we may end up going down the inevitable move to head office (Southampton) which is not as interesting or sunny.

Associate
[TW]Fox;26440640 said:
With the exception of Lisbon have you checked if you can get a visa for these places? Australia particularly - and it's quite a long and involved process. They like qualifications which form quite a big part of the points scoring process.

If you have the correct skills, experience, and are in demand it can be a quite quick process, though I believe the process has changed since we emigrated 3 years ago It took 6 weeks for our permanent residency visa to be granted!

Actually came as a quite large shock, we had prepared ourselves for a 12+ month wait (giving us time to get things prepared)!

Soldato
if i got a chance to move to NZ.. well id give everything up for it tbh

makes me want to think about what im doing instead of wasting my life here

I've done it. In my case the grass indeed were so so so much greener. It's a great place to live and work. My quality of life is infinite higher here and I had a pretty good life in London

Associate
Come on down!! We might make fun of you for being a Pom but secretly we love you guys :D

I live on the northern beaches in Sydney and there's so many English peeps here it's not funny. Our local supermarkets stock a wide range of uk food and drinks as well. In regards to a visa I'm pretty sure you can jump on your partners visa but I could be wrong.

Associate
I'd love move to oz but the hoops you have to jump through is ridiculous it would take me 6 months and large chunk of money to get an electricians license over there

Soldato
OP
I think the visa would be the only issue and I haven't looked into it properly yet.
I think I saw something about sponsorship so I'll have a read tonight but that would only apply to 'er indoors I think but surely they allow for partners?

I was reminded last night that of all the options, they all involve mostly great weather. Lots of sun etc and all right on the coast which is great for my hayfever (chronic sufferer) but my missus isn't that keen on the heat and sun. I have a bruise where she hit me for laughing.

Associate
I used to live in portugal a few years back and i dont look back to it, i am far off better here(uk).
Also the language will be hard to learn(one of the world hardest language) unless its your first language like me
Education in uk is far better than there
Al so theres lack of work
link

In summary you are far better here

Soldato
I used to live in portugal a few years back and i dont look back to it, i am far off better here(uk).
Also the language will be hard to learn(one of the world hardest language) unless its your first language like me
Education in uk is far better than there
Al so theres lack of work
link

In summary you are far better here

I know a few people that moved to Portugal and pretty much straight back. You're definitely better off in the UK, statistically speaking.

Soldato
OP
Could Norway be of interest?

Unlikely. It depends on where she can work by transferring to a different department or where they are seeking her specific skill set.

I said Australia is my current favourite earlier. I'm thinking of other things too like healthcare so have pretty much ruled the Caribbean out (fantastic for a holiday though). She went onto some internal website and asked if I liked the idea of Vancouver.

Too many options.

Education has been ruled out, no kids mean we don't have to look at that stuff.

Soldato
My friend emigrated to NZ a few years ago (2009 IIRC).
One of the conditions was that she was not allowed to work for a year after arrival.

Yea?

I just immigrated here and landed the Friday, in my new office the Monday for paperwork, getting phone, car and ID and started work officially a week later.

I don't know of any visa that put that requirement of not working on you. And I've researched them all.

Back
Top Bottom