Possibly fried a ram stick?

Soldato
So cleaning out old desktop for sale, started with 6GB over three sticks, and now it's only showing 4GB (2GB available).
Hoovered out while unplugged, and only checked what the stick brand was by removing one, pretty confident it was properly seated back in before start. I have tried all configurations to find the faulty stick, but it's constantly showing 4GB even with two plugged in. I've tried swapping to the different coloured ram slots but then the PC doesn't boot.

Any ideas or suggestions? What have I potentially broke?

Associate
Give it a good BIOS reset, then update the BIOS if a new one available. Then trial and error.
Some RAM are lifetime warranty, but will need to know from where you bought it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think it's the slot.
So tried one ram, PC didn't start, moved it along worked showed 2GB.
Tried 2nd stick in 3rd slot, showed 4GB. Swapped 3rd slot showed 4GB. All 3 in still showed 4GB.
Tried all ram in the secondary trio of ram slots and PC doesn't start. Don't know if it needs ram in the first three.
Reset BIOS and tried updating but wasn't doing it through windows. May need to actually plug it into the network.

If it is the slot anything I can do?

Soldato
Fixed it with a clean, alcohol wipe and a small gentle brush.

I was about to say clean the gold contacts. The best stuff is Aero Klene 50

It's also why I cringe when people hold components by the gold contacts, or they they place electronics on carpet. It only takes a bit of dirt/grease on a gold contact and suddenly problems can start.

Back
Top Bottom